should minimum wage be mandated?

I hear you.

I could be wrong, but I didn't interpret the original beef to be with the student loans themselves as much as a beef with them being tax-payer subsidized. In all fairness, you probably could have afforded a market interest rate on your loans.

In a sense, all student loans are government backed. Even private loans can't be discharged in bankruptcy.

When I earned minimum wage it was $2 bucks an hour I think? I was a student in high school. If you look at comparison charts with the value of the dollar in consideration, right before they passed the new increase in the minimum wage, the minimum wage bought 25% less than it did when i earned it.

students today don't get the same bang for the buck when working....why do we neglect them and say, hey...they are only students? So what? they need to earn money just like anyone else and why should they get payed 25% less than I did when I earned minimum wage, on a dollar for dollar value basis?

Heck, don't stop there. Students have lots of needs, like drugs, gas money, and condoms that other people dont. Why not make the min wage like $100/hr? Why not $1000/hr? If some is good, more is better, right?

But almost everyone here, on either side, who talks about having made min wage did so as a student or someone just starting out. Which is the norm in the vast number of cases. So "living wage" is a little misleading if you're thinking of a head of household supporting a wife and 5 kids.

keeping the minimum wage with the same buying power as i had in youth is not asking too much from anyone....

putting in the crap about a hundred bucks an hour as minimum wage is a silly straw man.... and you know it!!!

Obviously it is, otherwise employers would be doing just that.
Why is the 100/hr min wage a straw man? What would be wrong with a $100/hr min wage?

Heck, don't stop there. Students have lots of needs, like drugs, gas money, and condoms that other people dont. Why not make the min wage like $100/hr? Why not $1000/hr? If some is good, more is better, right?

But almost everyone here, on either side, who talks about having made min wage did so as a student or someone just starting out. Which is the norm in the vast number of cases. So "living wage" is a little misleading if you're thinking of a head of household supporting a wife and 5 kids.

keeping the minimum wage with the same buying power as i had in youth is not asking too much from anyone....

putting in the crap about a hundred bucks an hour as minimum wage is a silly straw man.... and you know it!!!

Why is the 100/hr min wage a straw man? What would be wrong with a $100/hr min wage?

Yea Rabbi...you tell em

How bout a $1000 an hour wage? That will show them stoopid Librals

Social Security would go broke in a week to pay people who rely on it affordable incomes ...

School tuition would sky rocket ...

Prices across the board would sky rocket to pay for the increase ...

People would be laid off left and right within a week ...

We need to lower it to drop the costs, raising it has only hurt us.

Yea Rabbi...you tell em

No, seriously. I want to hear your version as to why a $100/hr min wage is wrong. Many people actually earn that much. Why not entry level workers?

Yea Rabbi...you tell em

No, seriously. I want to hear your version as to why a $100/hr min wage is wrong. Many people actually earn that much. Why not entry level workers?

And why not $1000 an hour. The poor could then trickle up all that extra money

Yea Rabbi...you tell em

You won't answer the question because either you don't know the answer or you know the answer very well. And it makes your contention look foolish.
The answer of course is that at $100/hr no one could afford to hire anyone for anything less than top notch positions. And there aren't that many of them.
By exaggerating the example we can see what is really going on: setting a floor on wages leads to more workers than jobs. Exactly what we see today.

You won't answer the question because either you don't know the answer or you know the answer very well. And it makes your contention look foolish.
The answer of course is that at $100/hr no one could afford to hire anyone for anything less than top notch positions. And there aren't that many of them.
By exaggerating the example we can see what is really going on: setting a floor on wages leads to more workers than jobs. Exactly what we see today.

I won't answer because like most of your posts, it is idiotic.
We are not talking making the poor rich. We are talking about wages that keep pace with rising prices. Wages that will allow people to feed their families, get healthcare, a decent place to live.
The minimum wage, as it exists, has not kept pace with the costs of basic services.
When I was in my teens and twenties, I could pay for my tuition with what I earned from minimum wage jobs........my children can't

We are not talking making the poor rich. We are talking about wages that keep pace with rising prices. Wages that will allow people to feed their families, get healthcare, a decent place to live.
The minimum wage, as it exists, has not kept pace with the costs of basic services.
When I was in my teens and twenties, I could pay for my tuition with what I earned from minimum wage jobs........my children can't
Whup, avoiding the issue. Why is $15/hr min wage OK but 100/hr is not? It is the exact same principle at work: if gov't sets a floor price it will create many "sellers" (laborers here) and few "buyers" (employers).

Whup, avoiding the issue. Why is $15/hr min wage OK but 100/hr is not? It is the exact same principle at work: if gov't sets a floor price it will create many "sellers" (laborers here) and few "buyers" (employers).

Yes, and the buyers have a set population of labor. They can go overseas and get labor for 50 cents an hour. So regardless of the minimum wage, we can't compete with that. However, if Mickey D's or Walmart wants to open a store and sell its product, they have to draw from the existing labor pool.
What Walmart and Mickey Ds have been doing is holding down the wage they have to pay with the help of the Government. Both have been extremely successful, while their employees have not

Yes, and the buyers have a set population of labor. They can go overseas and get labor for 50 cents an hour. So regardless of the minimum wage, we can't compete with that. However, if Mickey D's or Walmart wants to open a store and sell its product, they have to draw from the existing labor pool.
What Walmart and Mickey Ds have been doing is holding down the wage they have to pay with the help of the Government. Both have been extremely successful, while their employees have not
As I said in the other thread, I realize I am dealing with an ignoramus in economics.
Some businesses cannot go an hire foreign labor. Car washes, laundries, recycling centers--plenty of businesses cannot be relocated overseas.
WalMart competes with other employers for the same talent at the similar job levels. If Target pays more, better people will tend to go work for Target.
How Wal Mart and McD's hold down wage costs is beyond me. If they pay too little, they won't hire anyone.

As I said in the other thread, I realize I am dealing with an ignoramus in economics.
Some businesses cannot go an hire foreign labor. Car washes, laundries, recycling centers--plenty of businesses cannot be relocated overseas.
WalMart competes with other employers for the same talent at the similar job levels. If Target pays more, better people will tend to go work for Target.
How Wal Mart and McD's hold down wage costs is beyond me. If they pay too little, they won't hire anyone.

They hold down wage costs by getting the Government to freeze the minimum wage for 10 years. WalMart and Mickey D's made record profit and expanded worldwide. Meanwhile, their employees received less and less spending power

They hold down wage costs by getting the Government to freeze the minimum wage for 10 years. WalMart and Mickey D's made record profit and expanded worldwide. Meanwhile, their employees received less and less spending power

You make this shit up as you go along, right? Because the reality is pretty different:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott said he's urging Congress to consider raising the minimum wage so that Wal-Mart customers don't have to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

Scott told Wal-Mart (Research) directors and executives in a speech Monday that he believes "it is time for Congress to take a look at the minimum wage and other legislation that can help working families."

"The U.S. minimum wage of $5.15 an hour has not been raised in nearly a decade and we believe it is out of date with the times," Scott said. "We can see first-hand at Wal-Mart how many of our customers are struggling to get by. Our customers simply don't have the money to buy basic necessities between pay checks."

Given increasing gas prices and other economic pressures on Wal-Mart customers, Scott went on to say that Wal-Mart shoppers will further be challenged to "support themselves and their families."

"While it is unusual for us to take a public position on a public policy issue of this kind, we simply believe it is time for Congress to take a responsible look at the minimum wage and other legislation that may help working families," he said.

Wal-Mart maintains that it pays above the current $5.15 an hour minimum wage to its employees.
More at the source.

You make this shit up as you go along, right? Because the reality is pretty different:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott said he's urging Congress to consider raising the minimum wage so that Wal-Mart customers don't have to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

Scott told Wal-Mart (Research) directors and executives in a speech Monday that he believes "it is time for Congress to take a look at the minimum wage and other legislation that can help working families."

"The U.S. minimum wage of $5.15 an hour has not been raised in nearly a decade and we believe it is out of date with the times," Scott said. "We can see first-hand at Wal-Mart how many of our customers are struggling to get by. Our customers simply don't have the money to buy basic necessities between pay checks."

Given increasing gas prices and other economic pressures on Wal-Mart customers, Scott went on to say that Wal-Mart shoppers will further be challenged to "support themselves and their families."

"While it is unusual for us to take a public position on a public policy issue of this kind, we simply believe it is time for Congress to take a responsible look at the minimum wage and other legislation that may help working families," he said.

Wal-Mart maintains that it pays above the current $5.15 an hour minimum wage to its employees.
More at the source.

So even WalMart understands that it needs people to actually buy its products. Something the right wing conservatives never managed to grasp.

Middle class has lost its buying power. Lower class cannot afford to buy basic necessities

Meanwhile the richest 10% of Americans controls 90% of the wealth and gains a bigger slice of the pie every day

Wait, so before WalMart was eeevil and now they're part of the solution?
I think you do make this shit up as you go along.

I don't know what they are talking about. walmart is pure evil

Hey Rabbi...

Find that birth certificate you been looking for?

Minimum wage ultimately hurts the worker, just like student loans hurt the student.

How do student loans hurt the student?

For many people, they would not be a student if they did not have student loans.

They artificially force up the price of colleges everywhere. You will note tuition is increasing and has never decreased. its they can get away with guaging people for their education.

Minimum wage is simply government saying, we know better and can more effectively do what is needed than you can Mr./Mz. Businessperson. We are more moral than you, so we will steal from you for the benefit of someone else. We will create equalibrium by raising the poor and bringing you down. Nevermind you may very well have created a new product or service to improve lives. We don't care if you sacrificed time or invested money to make this happen, why should you have more? Most importantly, you represent a threat to our power over the public.

Forum List

Back