should minimum wage be mandated?

And the idea that many of you douchebags can walk into a McDonalds and honestly believe that the employees are overpaid

This douchebag doesn't give a fuck what they are paid. You should worry about yourself a bit more and stop worrying about what Walmart and McDonalds are paying. UNless of course you are a McDonalds or a Walmart employee.. which would explain your fascination with the minimum wage. What fucking adult gives a shit about entry level wages for unskilled labor?

Apparently you give enough of a fuck to post multiple times in this thread.

Idjit! :lol:

Apparently you give enough of a fuck to post multiple times in this thread.

I only give a fuck as much as I try to get you libs to quit meddling in shit that doesn't concern you... like the MINIMUM WAGE.

I really don't know what people find so offensive about a minimum wage. The government imposes A LOT of regulations on business that translate DIRECTLY into higher costs. I would think that regulations preventing them from exploiting the poor and uneducated would be more on the "tolerable" end of the spectrum, whereas making companies spend billions to jump through Sarbanes Oxley hoops is totally fucking ridiculous.

Do you have anything intelligent to add?
The fact that gov't imposes ridiculous costs and mandates is an argument against more of that with the min wage, not for it.
Businesses do not "exploit" poor and uneducated people. They give them opportunities they would not otherwise have. The people who work min wage jobs do not typically have the option of going off and becoming brain surgeons instead. People take the job that gives them the highest total wage level they have available.

The intelligence is there, you've just happened to ignore it. Intentionally or ignorantly is anyone's guess.

My point is that of all the regulations government imposes on business, I don't see why this particular one is so vilified.

I won't even bother asking you to produce any empirical evidence supporting the theory that minimum wages hurt the economy and the wage earner in the long run. Many an accomplished economist have tried and failed.

And the idea that many of you douchebags can walk into a McDonalds and honestly believe that the employees are overpaid at least makes me glad that your retarded, ineffectual ramblings are confined to a pointless messageboard discussion and that none of you actually influence policy.

It's vilifed on this thread because that's what the thread is about. duh.
There are several studies that confirm this very thesis. Prior studies (there was one in NJ) failed because they did not account for the failure of businesses that relied on min wage workers. Those businesses obviously werent around to survey later.
No one (except you) says workers at McDonald's are overpaid. Pleae post where someone said that.
Workers at McDonald's get paid a market wage for what they do.

When I earned minimum wage it was $2 bucks an hour I think? I was a student in high school. If you look at comparison charts with the value of the dollar in consideration, right before they passed the new increase in the minimum wage, the minimum wage bought 25% less than it did when i earned it.

students today don't get the same bang for the buck when working....why do we neglect them and say, hey...they are only students? So what? they need to earn money just like anyone else and why should they get payed 25% less than I did when I earned minimum wage, on a dollar for dollar value basis?

I don't support a living wage and look at minimum wage as entry level, student and part time wages. However, the minimum wage still remains woefully low.
When I started working, I was paid $1.85 an hour. It sounds low by todays standards but I could earn enough over the summer to pay my College tuition. The wage has roughly tripled over the last 35 years while everthing else has gone up five to six times.
The argument that it is costing jobs has been used to artificially hold down the wage as well as other low end wages. We have created a working poor in this country who can't afford housing, healthcare or education expensed.

Yet why have prices gone up so dramatically? Inflation. The Federal Reserve has tanked the value of the dollar.

When I earned minimum wage it was $2 bucks an hour I think? I was a student in high school. If you look at comparison charts with the value of the dollar in consideration, right before they passed the new increase in the minimum wage, the minimum wage bought 25% less than it did when i earned it.

students today don't get the same bang for the buck when working....why do we neglect them and say, hey...they are only students? So what? they need to earn money just like anyone else and why should they get payed 25% less than I did when I earned minimum wage, on a dollar for dollar value basis?

Heck, don't stop there. Students have lots of needs, like drugs, gas money, and condoms that other people dont. Why not make the min wage like $100/hr? Why not $1000/hr? If some is good, more is better, right?

But almost everyone here, on either side, who talks about having made min wage did so as a student or someone just starting out. Which is the norm in the vast number of cases. So "living wage" is a little misleading if you're thinking of a head of household supporting a wife and 5 kids.

The minimum wage law is a necissity to ensure that the "bosses" do not take unfair advantage of the down-trodden and disenfranchised among us. The Negro and Latino are the prime targets of the "bosses". They too must feed and cloth their children, yes, even the Negro and Latino children require nourishment and cover.

The minimum wage should be raised to $15.00 per hour. I have personnally, on behalf of Canadians, written to President Obama urging him to push ahead with a wage increase and with Medicare. God is on President Obama;s side, he will achieve his goals and the Lord will be pleased.

The minimum wage law is a necissity to ensure that the "bosses" do not take unfair advantage of the down-trodden and disenfranchised among us. The Negro and Latino are the prime targets of the "bosses". They too must feed and cloth their children, yes, even the Negro and Latino children require nourishment and cover.

The minimum wage should be raised to $15.00 per hour. I have personnally, on behalf of Canadians, written to President Obama urging him to push ahead with a wage increase and with Medicare. God is on President Obama;s side, he will achieve his goals and the Lord will be pleased.

Why not make it $100/hour?

I started out in the 70s with minimum wage at $1.85. Gas was 30 cents a gallon, A new car cost $3000, college tuition was under $1000 a year.

All of those expenses have gone up from 5 to 7 times what they were in the 70's, minimum wage has gone up only three.

Think McDonalds is suffering from minimum wage? A Big Mac cost 49cents in the 70s, it has gone up 5 times the price while McDonalds only pays its workers three times what they paid in the 70s

Heck, don't stop there. Students have lots of needs, like drugs, gas money, and condoms that other people dont. Why not make the min wage like $100/hr? Why not $1000/hr? If some is good, more is better, right?

But almost everyone here, on either side, who talks about having made min wage did so as a student or someone just starting out. Which is the norm in the vast number of cases. So "living wage" is a little misleading if you're thinking of a head of household supporting a wife and 5 kids.

keeping the minimum wage with the same buying power as i had in youth is not asking too much from anyone....

putting in the crap about a hundred bucks an hour as minimum wage is a silly straw man.... and you know it!!!

They have to pay them back. And that hurts. :cool:

This is true. :razz:

In all seriousness though, most people couldn't afford college without them.

The world needs ditch diggers too. :razz:

Yeah, but it's pretty ineffective to have people digging ditches if they have the ability to do something more. For example, there is no way in hell I could have afford college without student loans (even though I was qualified enough to attend one of the top universities in the nation).

I hear you.

I could be wrong, but I didn't interpret the original beef to be with the student loans themselves as much as a beef with them being tax-payer subsidized. In all fairness, you probably could have afforded a market interest rate on your loans.

Forum List

Back