Remember the 1980's?

Do you miss me now?

• Yes

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
Oct 4, 2009
Where are people like Reagan today? Reagan kept our spirits up in the 80's, Ended the cold war, lowered taxes to an all time low. And said stuff like Government isn't the solution to our problem, Government is the problem. Granted he spent money while he was president but, nothing like Bush did and Obama is today. Perhaps Reagan was the reason times were good in the 90's. Times weren't as bad in the late 80's as they are now.

Why can't we get another president that will listen to the "people" like Reagan did?

Attachments

• $miss_me_now_tshirt-p2353724942858345353oib_400.jpg
    $miss_me_now_tshirt-p2353724942858345353oib_400.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reagan spent record highs for the time. The reason the cold war ended was due to the collapse of the Soviet economy due to a mixture of the war in Afghanistan (in which we funded Osama Bin Laden) and trying to keep up with our defense spending.

So let's get that checklist out:

1.) Numerous tax raises under his Administration.

2.) Expansion of Government.

3.) Iran-Contra.

4.) Giving CIA training, funding, and weapons to Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

5.) Giving Saddam Hussein weapons to go and kill Iran.

6.) Ignoring AIDS

7.) He said Jefferson David was a "hero of his" in 1980.

8.) Did not support the creation of Martin Luther King holiday.

9.) Supported South Africa despite of the apartheid.

10.) Ramped up the oppressive "War on Drugs" to new levels.

And the beat goes on. So no, I don't miss a Reagan Administration.

Reagan spent record highs for the time. The reason the cold war ended was due to the collapse of the Soviet economy due to a mixture of the war in Afghanistan (in which we funded Osama Bin Laden) and trying to keep up with our defense spending.

So let's get that checklist out:

1.) Numerous tax raises under his Administration.

2.) Expansion of Government.

3.) Iran-Contra.

4.) Giving CIA training, funding, and weapons to Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

5.) Giving Saddam Hussein weapons to go and kill Iran.

6.) Ignoring AIDS

7.) He said Jefferson David was a "hero of his" in 1980.

8.) Did not support the creation of Martin Luther King holiday.

9.) Supported South Africa despite of the apartheid.

10.) Ramped up the oppressive "War on Drugs" to new levels.

And the beat goes on. So no, I don't miss a Reagan Administration.

Don't know where you get your facts from but I worked through the 1980's. Taxes by Reagan's second term were at 11% where as before it was 33%.

One of Reagan's famous quotes; Governments view of the economy could be summed up to a few short phrases : if it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it. and if it stops moving subsidize it.

Don't know where you get your facts from but I worked through the 1980's. Taxes by Reagan's second term were at 11% where as before it was 33%.

One of Reagan's famous quotes; Governments view of the economy could be summed up to a few short phrases : if it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it. and if it stops moving subsidize it.

Your taxes might of been, not the same for everyone else though.

Social Security and Medicare taxes increased. The U.S. Debt increased from $700 billion to $3 trillion.

Never mind the various tax acts that passed under Reagan that affected businesses and others.

Ended COld War, check.
Reined in air traffic controllers, check.
Deregulated industry, check
Vetoed milk price support from his hospital bed, check
Ushered in longest GDP expansion in post WW2 history, check
Made America a force in the world again, check.

Yup, I'd say Reagan managed to turn back the shitstorm that was Carter and then some. I hope we can find someone that capable after Obama.

Libruls are hopeless douchebags when it comes to discussing Reagan.

The only person they hate more that Reagan is Sarah Palin.

I highly and I mean HIGHLY recommend wearing a Hazmat suit in this thread because you will see Hateful Libruls spewing froth, spittle and venom every other post.

Reagan deficits = Evil!!!! Obama Deficits = Good. See the difference?

Ended COld War, check.

Yup, I'd say Reagan managed to turn back the shitstorm that was Carter and then some. I hope we can find someone that capable after Obama.

In exchange for trying to end the Cold War. He armed many of our future enemies. What's that old saying? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I highly and I mean HIGHLY recommend wearing a Hazmat suit in this thread because you will see Hateful Libruls spewing froth, spittle and venom every other post.

reagan ran from libya and obama will run from ag & iraq.

Ended COld War, check.

In exchange for trying to end the Cold War. He armed many of our future enemies. What's that old saying? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Like who? Name three.
You are blaming him because he couldn't predict the future? That's some claim.

Where are people like Reagan today? Reagan kept our spirits up in the 80's, Ended the cold war,

That's sorta like saying you knocked out a guy because he tripped over himself.

lowered taxes to an all time low.

Exploding the deficit in the process.

And said stuff like Government isn't the solution to our problem, Government is the problem.

Why would anyone trust someone making that claim to administer the government? It would be like a church turning over their outreach to atheists.

Granted he spent money while he was president but, nothing like Bush did and Obama is today. Perhaps Reagan was the reason times were good in the 90's. Times weren't as bad in the late 80's as they are now.

Why can't we get another president that will listen to the "people" like Reagan did?

The national debt tripled in the eight years Reagan was in office. That was 50% faster than the rate of increase under Bush.

Ran from Libya?

LOL

Like who? Name three.
You are blaming him because he couldn't predict the future? That's some claim.

Osama Bin Laden, Iran, and Saddam Hussein.

I'm not blaming him because he couldn't predict the future. I'm blaming him for not having the foresight to do what a President should do and look ahead in the future. However, being hellbent on ending the Cold War would give one the whole view of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" despite the fact that same enemy could very easily become our enemy.

Ran from Libya?

LOL

ever read his memoirs?

Reasons why the USSR Collapsed

Economic Stagnation: by the 1980s, there was zero economic growth, development of the black market for consumer goods, could not produce enough grain, rationing of food, consumer goods were inferior, poor use of resources (Pipeline)

Military Spending: 15-25% of GNP, Americans spent only 5-7%, too much on guns, not enough on butter.

Political Stagnation and Corruption: Party officials lived a privileged life, they did not want reform when it was most needed.

Ideology: Command economy, complete centralized planning, individual initiative is replaced by quotas and threats.

Nationalism: 50% of the population was not Russian, the non-Russian ethnic groups would fuel the break-up in combination with economic problems and the unwillingness of the new Russian gov’t to turn guns on its own people, like they had before.

At the end of the day people didn't care about politics, they wanted food and they rebelled against their political leaders.
Gorbachev could not secure large foreign loans.

The USSR, lost control though because of its out of control spending in trying to keep up with the United States military build up and practically bankrupted themselves and the people rebelled.

Facts on Reagan

Facts

Between 1980-1990

1- Total federal revenues doubled from just over $517 billion in 1980 to more than $1 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was a 28 percent increase in revenue.

2- As a percentage of the gross domestic product (GDP), federal revenues declined only slightly from 18.9 percent in 1980 to 18 percent in 1990.

3- Revenues from individual income taxes climbed from just over $244 billion in 1980 to nearly $467 billion in 1990.5 In inflation-adjusted dollars, this amounts to a 25 percent increase.

4- This economic boom lasted 92 months without a recession, from November 1982 to July 1990, the longest period of sustained growth during peacetime and the second-longest period of sustained growth in U.S. history. The growth in the economy lasted more than twice as long as the average period of expansions since World War II

5- The American economy grew by about one-third in real inflation-adjusted terms. This was the equivalent of adding the entire economy of East and West Germany or two-thirds of Japan's economy to the U.S. economy.

6- From 1950 to 1973, real economic growth in the U.S. economy averaged 3.6 percent per year. From 1973 to 1982, it averaged only 1.6 percent. The Reagan economic boom restored the more usual growth rate as the economy averaged 3.5 percent in real growth from the beginning of 1983 to the end of 1990

7- In 1991, after the Reagan rate cuts were well in place, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in income paid 25 percent of all income taxes; the top 5 percent paid 43 percent; and the bottom 50 percent paid only 5 percent. To suggest that this distribution is unfair because it is too easy on upper-income groups is nothing less than absurd.

No matter how advocates of big government try to rewrite history, Ronald Reagan's record of fiscal responsibility continues to stand as the most successful economic policy of the 20th century. His tax reforms triggered an economic expansion that continues to this day. His investments in national security ended the Cold War and made possible the subsequent defense spending reductions that are largely responsible for the current federal surpluses. His efforts to restrain the expansion of federal government helped to limit the growth of domestic spending. Reagan took over an economy with double-digit inflation and almost no growth, yet left office with much lower inflation than he inherited and a strongly growing economy.

Ended COld War, check.

What's that other saying? Libruls lie a lot and don't know dick about anything

Reasons why the USSR Collapsed

Economic Stagnation: by the 1980s, there was zero economic growth, development of the black market for consumer goods, could not produce enough grain, rationing of food, consumer goods were inferior, poor use of resources (Pipeline)

Military Spending: 15-25% of GNP, Americans spent only 5-7%, too much on guns, not enough on butter.

Political Stagnation and Corruption: Party officials lived a privileged life, they did not want reform when it was most needed.

Ideology: Command economy, complete centralized planning, individual initiative is replaced by quotas and threats.

Nationalism: 50% of the population was not Russian, the non-Russian ethnic groups would fuel the break-up in combination with economic problems and the unwillingness of the new Russian gov’t to turn guns on its own people, like they had before.

At the end of the day people didn't care about politics, they wanted food and they rebelled against their political leaders.
Gorbachev could not secure large foreign loans.

The USSR, lost control though because of its out of control spending in trying to keep up with the United States military build up and practically bankrupted themselves and the people rebelled.

Facts on Reagan

Facts

Between 1980-1990

1- Total federal revenues doubled from just over $517 billion in 1980 to more than $1 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was a 28 percent increase in revenue.

2- As a percentage of the gross domestic product (GDP), federal revenues declined only slightly from 18.9 percent in 1980 to 18 percent in 1990.

3- Revenues from individual income taxes climbed from just over $244 billion in 1980 to nearly $467 billion in 1990.5 In inflation-adjusted dollars, this amounts to a 25 percent increase.

4- This economic boom lasted 92 months without a recession, from November 1982 to July 1990, the longest period of sustained growth during peacetime and the second-longest period of sustained growth in U.S. history. The growth in the economy lasted more than twice as long as the average period of expansions since World War II

5- The American economy grew by about one-third in real inflation-adjusted terms. This was the equivalent of adding the entire economy of East and West Germany or two-thirds of Japan's economy to the U.S. economy.

6- From 1950 to 1973, real economic growth in the U.S. economy averaged 3.6 percent per year. From 1973 to 1982, it averaged only 1.6 percent. The Reagan economic boom restored the more usual growth rate as the economy averaged 3.5 percent in real growth from the beginning of 1983 to the end of 1990

7- In 1991, after the Reagan rate cuts were well in place, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in income paid 25 percent of all income taxes; the top 5 percent paid 43 percent; and the bottom 50 percent paid only 5 percent. To suggest that this distribution is unfair because it is too easy on upper-income groups is nothing less than absurd.

No matter how advocates of big government try to rewrite history, Ronald Reagan's record of fiscal responsibility continues to stand as the most successful economic policy of the 20th century. His tax reforms triggered an economic expansion that continues to this day. His investments in national security ended the Cold War and made possible the subsequent defense spending reductions that are largely responsible for the current federal surpluses. His efforts to restrain the expansion of federal government helped to limit the growth of domestic spending. Reagan took over an economy with double-digit inflation and almost no growth, yet left office with much lower inflation than he inherited and a strongly growing economy.

Facts are very mean to Libruls

Where are people like Reagan today? Reagan kept our spirits up in the 80's, Ended the cold war, lowered taxes to an all time low. And said stuff like Government isn't the solution to our problem, Government is the problem. Granted he spent money while he was president but, nothing like Bush did and Obama is today. Perhaps Reagan was the reason times were good in the 90's. Times weren't as bad in the late 80's as they are now.

We don't take our politics or our politicians seriously in modern-day America. We think of them as just another bunch of celebrities who exist to entertain us, like high-priced circus clowns. We treat them like tabloid fodder, and then wonder why no one intelligent, serious, and capable wants to subject themselves to becoming the next government Paris Hilton.

When we start both treating our poltiicians like statesmen and expecting them to act like statesmen, we will start having statesmen in office again.

Forum List

Back