Should companies be able to change the agreement after you signed it?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I've ran into this and I think it is unethical for a company to change the contract after you have signed it. Credit card companies do it all the time and I think that should made illegal because I know I can't change it on my end unilaterally. The only way I know that can stop this is to simply not allow the courts to enforce any contract that allows one party to change after it has been signed.

I've ran into this and I think it is unethical for a company to change the contract after you have signed it. Credit card companies do it all the time and I think that should made illegal because I know I can't change it on my end unilaterally. The only way I know that can stop this is to simply not allow the courts to enforce any contract that allows one party to change after it has been signed.
. Just like the issue of privacy I wrote, where as it will be said to you that you went to them & they are the owners of the property in which you are borrowing until pay them back, so if they see a need as owners of the property in which you are borrowing (to adjust the contract), then they will do so as long as they don't break the rules in which they defined or laid out in the contract. If they break their own agreement or rules, then they should be sued for breach of contract. Am I right maybe ?

If it is credit card companies or banks, well read the fine print because they leave themselves wiggle room to screw you when they can... You have to make sure to read the entire contract before signing and photocopy the agreement you have signed...

The clause is normally "we can change the agreement at our convenience and you the customer are stuck with it." If you sign the agreement knowingly, you are stuck.

Typically credit card companies send you a notice and then you have to call them and stop using the credit card if you do not agree to their new terms. If you do not, then you agree to the new terms. The one good thing Obama did was change it so that if you charge something at 6% then you get 6% until you paid off that part of the debt. That way if you go from 6% to 12% then only your new charges get the 12%. My statements break the balances and interest charges apart that way in the explanation.

• Banned

If it is credit card companies or banks, well read the fine print because they leave themselves wiggle room to screw you when they can... You have to make sure to read the entire contract before signing and photocopy the agreement you have signed...

I totally agree but should things like this exist in the first place? It just doesn't seem fair that a company can change the agreement without your consent. It is kind of like signing a new agreement without you actually signing it. Can you imagine what would happen if I wrote in "I can change this anytime I want" to my mortgage? They wouldn't sign it because they know I may change to make the loan really balanced in my favor. I doubt any court would even uphold the changes in a court of law so why are they allowed to get away with this?

• Banned

Typically credit card companies send you a notice and then you have to call them and stop using the credit card if you do not agree to their new terms. If you do not, then you agree to the new terms. The one good thing Obama did was change it so that if you charge something at 6% then you get 6% until you paid off that part of the debt. That way if you go from 6% to 12% then only your new charges get the 12%. My statements break the balances and interest charges apart that way in the explanation.

Nothing makes people want to regulate industries more than when those industries try to do something screwy. Think about that for a moment and wonder why you have normal people chanting for regulation. They see how much such and such industries are being dishonest and unfair. As much as I am for the free market a part of me is happy to see it when sleazy businesses are forced to change their practices by the government. That is why we have a lot of laws to protect consumers when they buy a used car. People have been ripped off enough times that they don't give a fuck if some car lot owner is forced to stop being a dick to customers.

Forum List

Back