Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Alex Johnson
Reporter
MSNBC
updated 6:10 p.m. CT, Wed., March. 19, 2008
Compact fluorescent light bulbs, long touted by environmentalists as a more efficient and longer-lasting alternative to the incandescent bulbs that have lighted homes for more than a century, are running into resistance from waste industry officials and some environmental scientists, who warn that the bulbs’ poisonous innards pose a bigger threat to health and the environment than previously thought.

Fluorescents — the squiggly, coiled bulbs that generate light by heating gases in a glass tube — are generally considered to use more than 50 percent less energy and to last several times longer than incandescent bulbs.

When fluorescent bulbs first hit store shelves several years ago, consumers complained about the loud noise they made, their harsh light, their bluish color, their clunky shape and the long time it took for them to warm up.

Since then, the bulbs — known as CFLs — have been revamped, and strict government guidelines have alleviated most of those problems. But while the bulbs are extremely energy-efficient, one problem hasn’t gone away: All CFLs contain mercury, a neurotoxin that can cause kidney and brain damage.

The amount is tiny — about 5 milligrams, or barely enough to cover the tip of a pen — but that is enough to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe drinking levels, Stanford University environmental safety researchers found. Even the latest lamps promoted as “low-mercury” can contaminate more than 1,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels.

more ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694819/

:eusa_wall:

We will eventually get to the point where several cave people are sitting around a fire, naked. Sure as hell, there will be one that mutters "Fire bad!" and mankind will cease to exist.

there's also studies that link incadescent bulbs and bad eye-sight. It also thought that they cause hyperactive kids to be less focused. Something about pings of energy that they send out. I'm not sure how backed up that is, but I've heard it before.

there's also studies that link incadescent bulbs and bad eye-sight. It also thought that they cause hyperactive kids to be less focused. Something about pings of energy that they send out. I'm not sure how backed up that is, but I've heard it before.

Well there are still people that insist electric power lines cause cancer. And that cell phones cause brain tumors.

Agreed, like I said, I'm not sure, but it's something I've heard.

It is proven that electric powerlines can cause death though...:cool:

Forum List

Back