Anybody stocking up on light bulbs?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good for you. Your retirement income is assured cuz there are several born every minute and many of them post here!

Just wait

A year from now.......everyone who has those CFLs or LEDs will come begging to me

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And, you'll be RICH.

Rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Solar ... we've been talking about adding it to the lake house. Looks like we've got a buying on one of our properties so might use the $ for that.

Just wait...You think they may be happy saving hundreds of dollars on low wattage bulbs

But I know better.......they will miss the bulbs that burn up their electric bill and burn out in a few months

After all.....those are the bulbs my grandma had

Just wait

A year from now.......everyone who has those CFLs or LEDs will come begging to me

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And, you'll be RICH.

Rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Solar ... we've been talking about adding it to the lake house. Looks like we've got a buying on one of our properties so might use the $ for that.

Just wait...You think they may be happy saving hundreds of dollars on low wattage bulbs

But I know better.......they will miss the bulbs that burn up their electric bill and burn out in a few months

After all.....those are the bulbs my grandma had

This "controversy" reminds me of the stories we've read about how people feared electricity (with some cause, for sure) and those devil light bulbs.

If they had their way, we would still be using gas lights and tallow candles.

As always, its the progressive who ...

... wait for it ...

LIGHTS THE WAY !!!

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?
I have a pretty good stock of incandescent bulbs. But I also have dimmer switches on all lamps.

Where approximately 40w are needed I use a 60w bulb and dim it down, which extends the life of the bulb about tenfold. Where 60w are needed I use a 100w and dim it. I have some lamp bulbs which have been burning for ten years or more. I rarely need to change a bulb so my dimmers have more than paid for themselves.

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?
I have a pretty good stock of incandescent bulbs. But I also have dimmer switches on all lamps.

Where approximately 40w are needed I use a 60w bulb and dim it down, which extends the life of the bulb about tenfold. Where 60w are needed I use a 100w and dim it. I have some lamp bulbs which have been burning for ten years or more. I rarely need to change a bulb so my dimmers have more than paid for themselves.

Dump them and replace them with LEDs

I'm happy to get the same lumens with less wattage. More expensive yes but longer lasting. Enough so to way more make up for the difference in price.

Sent from my ass using USMessageBoard.com

We switched over to CFL bulbs about 7 years ago. The immediate result was that our electricity bill went down by a third, overnight. Since changing over, we have seldom had to change a light bulb. In the first five years, we replaced two bulbs, in our entire house.

The people who are complaining about switching over to the CFL bulbs remind me of the people who thought the automobile was a bad idea and people should stick to horses.

considering CFL's are only 7% more efficient than incandescent bulbs, how did you do that?

Really? Now where do you get that number?

1100 Lumens LED 9 to 13 watts Incandescent 75 watts CFL 18 to 25 watts.

Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart

Seems to me that makes the CFL 300% more efficient than an incandescent.

Where approximately 40w are needed I use a 60w bulb and dim it down, which extends the life of the bulb about tenfold.

That works, but it cuts efficiency. More power sucked up as heat, more power required for the same amount of light. It costs more in electricity than it saves in bulbs.

Of course, we all have our preferences. I should replace some of the old bulbs. It would save money. But I don't. I have this obsessive thing going where I refuse to replace a bulb until it dies a natural death, no matter what it costs me.

Part of the reason why our electrical bill went down so much is that the CFL bulbs not only reducing our lighting costs, but they also reduced or air conditioning costs, because the bulbs didn't give off as much heat.

How about you?

Dump them and replace them with LEDs
Too harsh. Makes me nervous. I like soft incandescent lighting.

How about you?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...y-use-in-us-at-lowest-level-since-2001-a.html

Oops, too late. We are already seeing the benefits.

You light your house during daylight hours?

We no longer live in that house, but yes.

I had lights on in my sewing room/office when I was in there (which is a lot), because there's only one small window which doesn't provide enough light to work. Both of our bathrooms were interior rooms with no windows, there were no windows in our hall, so yes, we did use some lights in the daytime.

In our current house, we have lights on in the kitchen during daylight hours because the window over the sink doesn't provide enough light to see into cupboards, or to work. If we're downstairs doing laundry, sewing, or the boys are playing in the Man Cave, there are lights on.

Part of the reason why our electrical bill went down so much is that the CFL bulbs not only reducing our lighting costs, but they also reduced or air conditioning costs, because the bulbs didn't give off as much heat.

The heat from a few incadescent bulbs has not appriciable affect on the costs of air conditioning.

Where approximately 40w are needed I use a 60w bulb and dim it down, which extends the life of the bulb about tenfold.

That works, but it cuts efficiency. More power sucked up as heat, more power required for the same amount of light. It costs more in electricity than it saves in bulbs.

[...]
I won't say you're wrong because I don't know for sure. But a dimmer is essentially an adjustable rheostat which serves to reduce current flow to the load. So how does that work out as using more energy rather than less?

Again, I don't know. So I'm asking, not telling.

I had heard that the disposal of cfl light bulbs was going to release more mercury into the atmosphere than all coal plants combined. So why is a product that releases so much mercury I being promoted by govt? So if it is green mercury it is ok but if it is coal mercury it is bad. Also companies like GE are invested in forcing consumers to keep changing products in order to keep ripping us off with price hikes and mandated home appliances.
Consumers in dark over risks of new light bulbs

I had heard that the disposal of cfl light bulbs was going to release more mercury into the atmosphere than all coal plants combined. So why is a product that releases so much mercury I being promoted by govt? So if it is green mercury it is ok but if it is coal mercury it is bad. Also companies like GE are invested in forcing consumers to keep changing products in order to keep ripping us off with price hikes and mandated home appliances.
Consumers in dark over risks of new light bulbs

It isn't a large amount of mercury at all. That was spelled out much earlier in the thread if you want to page around, I'm not sure where it was.

And just a tip: if you want reliable news I'd aim just a wee bit higher than Whirled Nuts Daily a/k/a the Birther Bugle...

Forum List

Back