Anybody stocking up on light bulbs?

Hardware stores now have warm light 60 watt equiv LED bulbs for under $10, like http://www.lowes.com/pd_424722-75774-LA19DM800LEDG2_0__?productId=50107626

They use only 9.8 watts, will last for decades, aren't as fragile as CFL and incand, and don't have any of the usage limitations regarding on/off frequency, enclosure, or dimming functionality.

Going forward any bulbs in that range that need replacing I'll just go LED. I suspect 75 watt equiv LEDs will also under $10 before we're done with 2014.

IDIOTS!!!!

Your CFL's are going to be banned, the only delay in the CFL ban is they just banned good ole fashion light bulbs.

I have found that CFL's do not last as long as incandescent bulbs, I just replaced a 50 year old incandescent. It could've been older, hard to tell but it was pretty incredible, I kept the bulb.

I have had to replace every CFL in my house in the last 5 years, they came with the Rental Agreement. I replaced them all with incandescent bulbs.

Did it make sense to mandate the change? I do not think so, CFL bulbs weigh a lot, at least 20 times more, which means if it took lb of natural resources to make one bulb, it now takes 20 lbs of natural resources to replace each.

At that you must use an Element to make CFL's, last time I checked Elements are not renewable.

Who profits from using more natural resources to make a product that was produced with less? Industry profits, corporations like GE that get a 100% tax break and a waiver from Obamacare.

Oh well, you got to have special light bulbs to work with the special solar power and wind power that is the future, and all this because of Government laws, hell, CFL's are obsolete, they will not make them as soon as the government changes the law. Instead of letting the Public have cheap energy which my father and grandfathers all enjoyed, I have to pay a larger percentage of my labor for life's essentials.

When I was a kid, light bulbs were free!!!!!!! It was also free to get your toaster or radio fixed. The Utilities gave us light bulbs for free and fixed our stuff, it only changed when the government passed a law saying you could not give away light bulbs or fix stuff for free.

Progress?

All while the idiots fail to see the real damage they cause by simply going along with the government and corporations.

I have found that CFL's do not last as long as incandescent bulbs, I just replaced a 50 year old incandescent. It could've been older, hard to tell but it was pretty incredible, I kept the bulb.

I have had to replace every CFL in my house in the last 5 years, they came with the Rental Agreement. I replaced them all with incandescent bulbs.

Did it make sense to mandate the change? I do not think so, CFL bulbs weigh a lot, at least 20 times more, which means if it took lb of natural resources to make one bulb, it now takes 20 lbs of natural resources to replace each.

At that you must use an Element to make CFL's, last time I checked Elements are not renewable.
1. And someone who just won the lottery might conclude that buying a lottery ticket is a good way to become rich. Incandescent bulbs do not last as long as CFL bulbs, no matter what your anecdotal experience may be.

2. The weight of an object does not correlate directly to it's cost in natural resources, and for light bulbs you'll find the natural resources in the actual product are insignificant compared to what is burned in usage. CFLs use less energy, period.

3. You have to use an element to make CFLs? What do you think an an incandescent bulb is made of, loose photons? It has metals, glass, and an inert gas... all of which (along with everything else you can see an touch) come from elements.

What is it with the CFL light bulbs thing that brings out the crazy in people?

We switched over to CFL bulbs about 7 years ago. The immediate result was that our electricity bill went down by a third, overnight. Since changing over, we have seldom had to change a light bulb. In the first five years, we replaced two bulbs, in our entire house.

The people who are complaining about switching over to the CFL bulbs remind me of the people who thought the automobile was a bad idea and people should stick to horses.

You either have an enormous amount of light fixtures, or lack a refrigerator.

1. And someone who just won the lottery might conclude that buying a lottery ticket is a good way to become rich. Incandescent bulbs do not last as long as CFL bulbs, no matter what your anecdotal experience may be.

2. The weight of an object does not correlate directly to it's cost in natural resources, and for light bulbs you'll find the natural resources in the actual product are insignificant compared to what is burned in usage. CFLs use less energy, period.

3. You have to use an element to make CFLs? What do you think an an incandescent bulb is made of, loose photons? It has metals, glass, and an inert gas... all of which (along with everything else you can see an touch) come from elements.

Some us are rather loathe to get mercury poisoning...and dislike the ghastly cold light.

I just bought 8 100 watt bulbs on sale today. Incandescents still make the most sense for places that you only switch on once in a while, like the back porch, some parts of the basement, the garage and closets.

I just bought 8 100 watt bulbs on sale today. Incandescents still make the most sense for places that you only switch on once in a while, like the back porch, some parts of the basement, the garage and closets.

For my overhead lights and lights that are used most of the day, I have gone to LEDs. Most of my lamps have CFLs in them. I still have some incandescents in closets and areas where you only turn them on for a minute while you are getting something

Some us are rather loathe to get mercury poisoning...and dislike the ghastly cold light.
Some of us don't blindly buy into the fear mongering that comes along with every new technology. When you start breaking CFL bulbs then directly trying to huff the 4mg of mercury let us know, in the meanwhile don't forget to throw out all your thermometers, watch batteries, and ditch the tuna fish sandwiches.

Some of us know CFL bulbs now comes in a wide spectrum of light including warm that is indistinguishable from incandescent.

Incandescent bulbs do not last as long as CFL bulbs

not always true

We switched over to CFL bulbs about 7 years ago. The immediate result was that our electricity bill went down by a third, overnight. Since changing over, we have seldom had to change a light bulb. In the first five years, we replaced two bulbs, in our entire house.

The people who are complaining about switching over to the CFL bulbs remind me of the people who thought the automobile was a bad idea and people should stick to horses.

considering CFL's are only 7% more efficient than incandescent bulbs, how did you do that?

I've been buying incandescent bulbs for ten cents a piece. I am going to wait one year and sell them for ten dollars each

I expect to be a light bulb millionaire

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?

Energy is probably in the top 3 world concerns. Food and living space being the other 2. If current lightbulbs use more power than they're worth, get rid of them. Isn't about politics but survival. Population isn't expected to level out until around 11 billion by 2050 or so. All the people need some where to live, something to eat, and will be sucking energy from their grids. If you don't want wars for electricity, nuclear power, and more coal burning electrical generation you need to use more efficient technology. We have to change from old inefficient tech to new, more efficient tech.

Way too logical and intelligent a post.

======

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/opinion/collins-michele-heres-the-bell.html?_r=0

OP about professional nutter Bachmanns "Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act".
“President Bachmann will allow you to buy any light bulb you want,” she had vowed during her campaign for the 2012 Republican nomination. Nobody got into the issue of repressive lighting efficiency standards in quite the same way.

Now, she'll be busy trying to stay out of jail.

(No, I don't believe she could go to jail. These crooks never do.)

Thanks to intelligent voters, its just one more pub/pottie bullet we dodged.

I've been buying incandescent bulbs for ten cents a piece. I am going to wait one year and sell them for ten dollars each

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good for you. Your retirement income is assured cuz there are several born every minute and many of them post here!

Good for you. Your retirement income is assured cuz there are several born every minute and many of them post here!

Just wait

A year from now.......everyone who has those CFLs or LEDs will come begging to me

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

put solar on your house and you won't care what kind of bulb you are burning.

Just wait

A year from now.......everyone who has those CFLs or LEDs will come begging to me

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And, you'll be RICH.

Rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Solar ... we've been talking about adding it to the lake house. Looks like we've got a buying on one of our properties so might use the $ for that.

Forum List

Back