Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

I accidently (carelessly) had a knife slip and sliced my arm one time. It didn't make the news...

I think bullets go farther than knives. How many people die from accidental knife cuts?

Well....more people die from intentional knife cuts than they do gun accidents...gun accidents...505...knife deaths of the intentional kind over 1000.....

So you are only twice as likely to be purposely killed with a knife than accidently killed with a gun?

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.

So she didn't have a permit.

And she didn't have the safety on.

And she shot herself on accident.

You're glad she shot herself.

What's your point, buddy? Please tell me exactly why you brought this up. I promise not to rip you apart if you're nice about it.

She shouldn't need a permit...I know criminals don't feel the need for one....

So she shot herself and could have easily shot an innocent person but she should be carrying? That is funny.

Criminal negligence.
Trigger locks.

Trigger locks are stupid....and the same people who accidentally shoot themselves won't use them anyway...then comes the next step....you make it a crime not to use them....then the next step...inspecting your guns if a cop makes a stop at your home...so you have now made criminals out of people who aren't criminals....and the real criminals still don't use gun locks....

Of course...that is the real goal...make it easier to arrest or fine people who want to own guns legally.....you can actually scare them, and you can scare anyone esle just thinking about owning a gun......

You really should spend more time trying to keep violent criminals in jail...that is the real issue with gun murders..they keep letting crimnals who use guns out....and don't arrest felons caught with guns....

And out of 320 million guns in private hands, in 90 million American homes.....

Only 505 accidental gun deaths...

No need for trigger locks......

90 million? Much lower than that.

Accidental discharges are very rare. I'd say 80% of "accidents" are negligence and the rest are intentional with no witnesses and no proof of intent.
Think about an uncontrolled gun going off. Realistically the bullet could hit any of an infinite number of points in a spherical pattern. the odds of a person occupying a set of points that would result in injury is, depending on range, quite small.
I remain skeptical of this story. It's more likely the woman, as she was getting into her car, reached in her purse, perhaps to put the gun in the glove box? and grabbed it by the trigger. Negligence! Hardly an accidental discharge. Guns are serious things. Carrying one is a big responsibility. Please use the utmost care when you handle one.

It does happen. A friend of mine from way back had a cousin that got shot by a 4.10.
The kid was swinging a stick and knocked it over and it fired,hit em in the hip luckily,but he never did walk right again.
Of course, it's possible, but swinging a stick near a loaded weapon is something a rational person doesn't do. Was it an accident or negligence?

He was around eight years old at the time so being rational doesnt enter into it.
I wasnt there when it happened,but from what I was told my buddy had just came back from squirrel hunting and had leaned the gun against the porch post and the kid came around the corner swinging a stick.
I guess you could blame my buddy for not unloading it but where we hunted you could pretty much hunt all the way back to the house so I can understand why he hadnt.

Make sure you have the safety on hand gun common sense 101 sadly some people lack common sense.

Many guns lack safeties.
According to what you posted in the Op hers did and it was off.

Yes. Amazing though that many have a bullet in the chamber and no safety.
I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't have a safety I'm thinking they would have to be older model guns. Seems the firing or trigger mechanism would have to be pretty sensitive to go off from being dropped it's not impossible but I would say its rare.

I think most the smaller carry guns don't have safeties like glocks and ruger lcp for example.

The Ruger relies on an extremely long trigger pull with the final trigger break point getting tighter.
It's highly unlikely you'd ever generate the force needed to fire the weapon by accident,whether from a drop or any other reason.

Many guns lack safeties.

I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't have a safety I'm thinking they would have to be older model guns. Seems the firing or trigger mechanism would have to be pretty sensitive to go off from being dropped it's not impossible but I would say its rare.

I think most the smaller carry guns don't have safeties like glocks and ruger lcp for example.

The Ruger relies on an extremely long trigger pull with the final trigger break point getting tighter.
It's highly unlikely you'd ever generate the force needed to fire the weapon by accident,whether from a drop or any other reason.

Yes, but it doesn't have a manual safety. Was just using it as an example.

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying
Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

If you didn't even fire you didn't need one in the chamber.

I guess that means if you grab an empty fire extinguisher.....

No shit. And I have one so I know what I speak of....for reference? It's the little bitty one on the bottom.

No shit. And I have one so I know what I speak of....for reference? It's the little bitty one on the bottom.

upload_2015-7-28_21-35-52.png

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying
Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

I'm assuming you grab the fire extinguisher because there is a fire. If a gun is really hardly ever fired in defense then almost no one will need one in the chamber.

I'm assuming you grab the fire extinguisher because there is a fire. If a gun is really hardly ever fired in defense then almost no one will need one in the chamber.

So you dont assume you grab a gun in a case of self protection?
Dude..at least be somewhat coherent in your responses.

Well can a fire extinguisher put out a fire just by pointing and not firing? Most claim that gun defenses do just that. Are you saying a gun is fired in most defenses then?

Well can a fire extinguisher put out a fire just by pointing and not firing? Most claim that gun defenses do just that. Are you saying a gun is fired in most defenses then?

Do you want to take the chance the fire might go out on it's lonesome?

Again, according to gun people most defenses don't involve even firing the gun. You can't do that with a fire extinguisher, your comparison is silly.

I don't even carry a gun, and am fine. I don't know anyone who has ever needed a gun for defense. So not only do you not need a gun, but you certainly don't need a round in the chamber. Unless you want to claim that the gun is fired in most defenses?

Again, according to gun people most defenses don't involve even firing the gun. You can't do that with a fire extinguisher, your comparison is silly.

I don't even carry a gun, and am fine. I don't know anyone who has ever needed a gun for defense. So not only do you not need a gun, but you certainly don't need a round in the chamber. Unless you want to claim that the gun is fired in most defenses?

Seriously weak dude.

Seriously weak dude.

Really? So how often then is a gun fired in defense? Ernie gave a great example of not needing to fire in defense. I thought that was usually the case. But do tell how often you think people have to shoot in defense.

Many guns lack safeties.

Same with my Taurus. It also has a thumb operated safety.

Forum List

Back