Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.

I have said before, you can't fix stupid.

And while incidents like this worry me a little, they are few and far between compared to the number of CCW permits out there.

Look at all the damage Obama's Low Information base does by voting; maybe we should have them pass a civics test before they vote?

I accidently (carelessly) had a knife slip and sliced my arm one time. It didn't make the news...

Oh, and a friend accidently let a chain saw slip and sliced his leg down to the bone, it didn't make the news either. He almost lost his leg.

I accidently (carelessly) had a knife slip and sliced my arm one time. It didn't make the news...

I think bullets go farther than knives. How many people die from accidental knife cuts?

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.

Well, chainsaws can definitely result in the injury, if not death, of many, if it fells a tree in the wrong direction and logger's are present.

I think bullets go farther than knives. How many people die from accidental knife cuts?

Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.

That was my belief till I started reading about so many like this. You think dropped is just the reason they give?

Apparent accidental shooting wounds man outside Derby VFW The Wichita Eagle

Not every handgun has an external safety. Most of mine don't.
My revolvers don't, but from uncocked, a lot of tension is needed to cock and fire. A revolver left cocked in a purse???? A dumb move, but modern revolvers need the trigger to be pulled to go off. You could pound nails with my S&W 629 cocked but the trigger pull is about 8oz.
My auto is hammerless and clocks when a round is chambered. It has a safety which I use when the gun is holstered. The trigger pull is quite long. Even with the safety off, the likelyhood of a snag causing discharge is minuscule.

I think the solution is obvious; Common Sense Purse Legislation.

Isnt a purse typically considered a bad way to carry?
Yes and no. If you have an early 20th century revolver that has fired a million rounds over it's life time, AND you put it in a purse cocked, you probably should get shot by it.
My wife has a hammerless DAO revolver that she carries in her purse in a Crown Royal bag.
The cloth bag keeps the gun finish from damage and snags away from the trigger. She can draw from her purse in about 1/2 second

Forum List

Back