Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying
Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

If you didn't even fire you didn't need one in the chamber.

I guess that means if you grab an empty fire extinguisher.....

I'm assuming you grab the fire extinguisher because there is a fire. If a gun is really hardly ever fired in defense then almost no one will need one in the chamber.
I have 4 fire extinguishers in my bar. I've never had to use one but all 4 are "loaded".

Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

I'm assuming you grab the fire extinguisher because there is a fire. If a gun is really hardly ever fired in defense then almost no one will need one in the chamber.

So you dont assume you grab a gun in a case of self protection?
Dude..at least be somewhat coherent in your responses.

Well can a fire extinguisher put out a fire just by pointing and not firing? Most claim that gun defenses do just that. Are you saying a gun is fired in most defenses then?
Not at all, but having one in the snout assures there is a bullet there if you need it. Exactly the same as the reason you keep your extinguisher charged.

You've lost this one too Brain. Give it up before you embarrass yourself further.

Well can a fire extinguisher put out a fire just by pointing and not firing? Most claim that gun defenses do just that. Are you saying a gun is fired in most defenses then?

Do you want to take the chance the fire might go out on it's lonesome?
Again, according to gun people most defenses don't involve even firing the gun. You can't do that with a fire extinguisher, your comparison is silly.

I don't even carry a gun, and am fine. I don't know anyone who has ever needed a gun for defense. So not only do you not need a gun, but you certainly don't need a round in the chamber. Unless you want to claim that the gun is fired in most defenses?
I'm 66 years old, or will be Thursday. I have used a weapon to repel 2 knife attacks and the attempted rape of my first wife.
In each case, there was a round in the chamber which would have left the barrel post haste had my targets been stupid. Now let's suppose that in just one case, the sight of my weapon didn't deter the crime. What then?

Don't see much point to the topic.
People "accidentally" run down individuals and groups, accidentally drive into shops, cafes and homes, mowing down people. Far more people are killed by cars than by guns. Cars aren't absolutely necessary. Public transportation works.

Not at all, but having one in the snout assures there is a bullet there if you need it. Exactly the same as the reason you keep your extinguisher charged.

You've lost this one too Brain. Give it up before you embarrass yourself further.

How many times have you had to fire your gun in self defense?

No I'm quite sure more lives are lost in accidents from having one in the chamber than have ever been saved. Not many defenses are of the quick draw variety. You guys watch too many westerns.

Don't see much point to the topic.
People "accidentally" run down individuals and groups, accidentally drive into shops, cafes and homes, mowing down people. Far more people are killed by cars than by guns. Cars aren't absolutely necessary. Public transportation works.

The point is people need to be more careful. Gun accidents are all avoidable. Only one person is involved and it is always that persons negligence. Car accidents are completely different. In this country cars are necessary.

Again, according to gun people most defenses don't involve even firing the gun. You can't do that with a fire extinguisher, your comparison is silly.

I don't even carry a gun, and am fine. I don't know anyone who has ever needed a gun for defense. So not only do you not need a gun, but you certainly don't need a round in the chamber. Unless you want to claim that the gun is fired in most defenses?
I'm 66 years old, or will be Thursday. I have used a weapon to repel 2 knife attacks and the attempted rape of my first wife.
In each case, there was a round in the chamber which would have left the barrel post haste had my targets been stupid. Now let's suppose that in just one case, the sight of my weapon didn't deter the crime. What then?

We don't have to suppose. In those cases you didn't need to fire. So you didn't need one in the chamber. Thank you for more examples. The quick draw situation almost never happens. More lives are lost through accidents with one in the chamber than are saved.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

I have 4 fire extinguishers in my bar. I've never had to use one but all 4 are "loaded".

You claim to have several defenses without having to fire a shot. How many fires have you put out without firing the extinguisher?

No I'm quite sure more lives are lost in accidents from having one in the chamber than have ever been saved. Not many defenses are of the quick draw variety. You guys watch too many westerns.
None. Gun accidents are virtually non-existent. about 600 annually, though the vast majority of them are really negligence or unwitnessed murder.
It's impossible to say how many lives have been saved by defensive gun use simply because the vast majority go unreported since they result in no discharge and no injury.
When I am confronted by someone who wants to rob or harm me, I have no idea how far the situation will go.
If I do ever need to discharge my weapon, it will be ready to go twice as fast because there is a round chambered.
I practice with my weapon quite often. I can unholster and be on target in 1/4 second every time. BUT there are times when I cannot unholster, rack a round and get on target in a full second. 3/4 second is your life when the man with the knife is 6 feet away.

Granted, in the 3 cases I've dealt with the round in the chamber was not needed, but it was there.

Now you may call me crazy, but I keep my spare tire inflated as well. I haven't had a flat on the truck yet and it's 14 years old.

We don't have to suppose. In those cases you didn't need to fire. So you didn't need one in the chamber. Thank you for more examples. The quick draw situation almost never happens. More lives are lost through accidents with one in the chamber than are saved.
bullshit.

How often do gun owners accidently shoot a family member in the course of defensive gun use? Again in Targeting Guns (p. 310), after reviewing studies, Kleck claims this kind of accidental shooting is rare. He estimates that less than 2% of fatal gun accidents occur during defensive gun use. With approximately 1,000 fatal gun accidents annually, that would imply 20 per year.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgeff.html

None. Gun accidents are virtually non-existent. about 600 annually, though the vast majority of them are really negligence or unwitnessed murder.
It's impossible to say how many lives have been saved by defensive gun use simply because the vast majority go unreported since they result in no discharge and no injury.
When I am confronted by someone who wants to rob or harm me, I have no idea how far the situation will go.
If I do ever need to discharge my weapon, it will be ready to go twice as fast because there is a round chambered.
I practice with my weapon quite often. I can unholster and be on target in 1/4 second every time. BUT there are times when I cannot unholster, rack a round and get on target in a full second. 3/4 second is your life when the man with the knife is 6 feet away.

Granted, in the 3 cases I've dealt with the round in the chamber was not needed, but it was there.

Now you may call me crazy, but I keep my spare tire inflated as well. I haven't had a flat on the truck yet and it's 14 years old.

You just gave a lot of reasons why people don't need a bullet in the chamber. Thanks.

bullshit.

You just wrote this:

Unless you just lied then people don't need one isn't the chamber.

You just gave a lot of reasons why people don't need a bullet in the chamber. Thanks.
Idiot+Meter.jpg

There's little point in continuing this, brainless.

bullshit.

You just wrote this:

So, the one time out of, what 4? 10? 50? that I need to actually discharge my weapon, I die, right? Sorry asshat. That's an unacceptable risk.

Idiot+Meter.jpg

There's little point in continuing this, brainless.

Yes you give a lot of great reasons why you don't need one chambered and then say you do need one. You make little sense.

bullshit.

You just wrote this:

So, the one time out of, what 4? 10? 50? that I need to actually discharge my weapon, I die, right? Sorry asshat. That's an unacceptable risk.

I don't know. I don't even need a gun, so I'd say you are overly armed just by carrying. Your own experience supports what I'm saying. Thank you.

Forum List

Back