Separation of church and state makes him want to throw up

As an Atheist, my retort is that I personally believe in the collective energy of the known universe and beyond which behaves in a random manner. In other words - shit happens.

Atheism Myths: Is Atheism a Religion?
Congrats. Your faith is shown clear as day for you.

Now, that religion by your own standard should not be allowed to be practiced in public OR guide you in your political actions.

Is this not true?

That is true! Therefore, my lack of religion should not be allowed to influence government any more than yours, or any religion, should be allowed to influence government.

Therefore, let us all be religion-neutral regarding government - like the Constitution intends. BTW, how does one practice Atheism? We don't have a Bible or gods to worship...

Oh, and did you read that link?
Except you have a religion. Atheism. That offends me because in my eyes, the truth of the divine is so blatantly obvious, you deliberately have to ignore it to not see.

So, what precisely is "Religion Neutral" since everyone on the planet has one even if they are psychologically defective to claim they don't?

Substitute the word 'homosexuality' with 'atheism', then if it makes you feel better.

You expect people to respect your lack of faith but deny my right to have any??
(free exercise thereof)
:eusa_hand:

WRONG!!!!! You are free to believe whatever you wish - just keep it out of government and my personal life.
But you won't respect Christianity in a president. Or government for that matter.Gotcha.

:::ducks the wildly swinging railroad tie in your eye:::

Why should I "respect" Christianity in a president? One doesn't need to be religious lunatic to be a good, honorable person - or president. Obama is a Christian, and I plan to vote for him. I would prefer a good, honorable Atheist/secular president, but that will never happen in my lifetime. There is still waaaaay too much superstition in the world.

As an Atheist, my retort is that I personally believe in the collective energy of the known universe and beyond which behaves in a random manner. In other words - shit happens.

Now, that religion by your own standard should not be allowed to be practiced in public OR guide you in your political actions.

Is this not true?

That is true! Therefore, my lack of religion should not be allowed to influence government any more than yours, or any religion, should be allowed to influence government.

Therefore, let us all be religion-neutral regarding government - like the Constitution intends. BTW, how does one practice Atheism? We don't have a Bible or gods to worship...

Except for the demand that only people who believe as you do be involved in government... sorry pal... you got you a belief system there!!!

WRONG!!!!! You are free to believe whatever you wish - just keep it out of government and my personal life.
But you won't respect Christianity in a president. Or government for that matter.Gotcha.

Why should I "respect" Christianity in a president? One doesn't need to be religious lunatic to be a good, honorable person - or president. Obama is a Christian, and I plan to vote for him. I would prefer a good, honorable Atheist/secular president, but that will never happen in my lifetime. There is still waaaaay too much superstition in the world.

So, now Christianity is a superstition?

Is this not true?

We are humans.
Our life experiences, faith-or lack thereof, education and all sorts of things form our day-day decisions.
One can;t simply turn their human switch off.

Why should I respect the insanity you refuse to call a faith that guides your life? One doesn't have to be an Atheistic Lunatic to be a good moral person.

Stop shoving your religion down everyone's throat.

Yes...as are all religions.

To the fools, yes.

Well then, so is atheism.... as it is also a belief system.. welcome to the club!

You guys are so fucking easy...

:lol:

Is this not true?

Except you have a religion. Atheism. That offends me because in my eyes, the truth of the divine is so blatantly obvious, you deliberately have to ignore it to not see.

So, what precisely is "Religion Neutral" since everyone on the planet has one even if they are psychologically defective to claim they don't?

It's a little difficult to have intelligent discussions with someone who believes Atheism is a religion. What it really is in a nutshell is "the absence of religion". We don't believe in supernatural entities.

in your opinion, and of course that has no bearing on the myth of separation of church and state.

It's a little difficult to have intelligent discussions with someone who believes Atheism is a religion. What it really is in a nutshell is "the absence of religion". We don't believe in supernatural entities.

Ok then, tell me what created the universe and what happens to you once you die.. since you don't just believe what happens, then you must know.

No, you just pointed out what you believe in "Shithappensism". You don't believe in a personal or anthropomorphic personification of a deity.

So yes, it is hard to have an intelligent conversation with someone who is in utter denial of his own religious nature because he somehow believes that there can be an 'absence' of something as universal as gravity, light or heat.

But you do believe that you are only answerable to yourself.
You believe that when you die, that's it...kaput.

Neither of these things can be proven, one way or another, so it's a matter of faith.

:eusa_whistle:

Atheism is a religious faith. I do believe it should not be allowed to impact our government either.

How do you resolve this hypocrisy?

there is no hypocrisy. one does not have to be an atheist to want, and zealously protect, the separation of church and state. think about how you would feel if the majority religion were islam and you were forced to watch as they legislated the tenets of their belief system.

and no, atheism is not a religion. it is the absence of religious belief.

Dude you aren't giving any links to statements in the constitution.

You might want to look up what a common law system is since that is what this country is. Case law interpreting the words of the constitution has equal weight with the document itself, since we aren't a code state like France.

You would do well to actually learn something about constitutional construction.

Isn't that the problem we are talking about? The common law system?

it's the system we have. it works fairly well, if imperfectly. you can whine about it to your heart's content.

Atheism is a religious faith. I do believe it should not be allowed to impact our government either.

there is no hypocrisy. one does not have to be an atheist to want, and zealously protect, the separation of church and state. think about how you would feel if the majority religion were islam and you were forced to watch as they legislated the tenets of their belief system.

Wrong on all points honey, as usual.... atheism is a belief system as I've never seen an atheist prove what happens to you once you die or what created the universe.

Keep reading the thread and see how it is a faith.

I know ... whats your point. It's not supposed to be like that. We have an amendment process to change and add to the constitution.

It is supposed to be exactly like that. All laws are subject to being struck down by the appropriate court. It is a fluid process that the amendment process could never keep up with.

Except shit doesn't need to always be changing on the whim of the 5 people who happen to agree with each other at that time.

the high court rarely reverses itself. when it does, its generally for good reason, like doing away with segregation.

sometimes it doesn't reverse itself where it should... like dred scott.

again, get over it. that's our system and it works as it was intended to.

Santorum: Separation Of Church And State 'Makes Me Want To Throw Up'

Damn that pesky little First Amendment. Its just SO inconvenient to Santorum.

Sadly, there are many rw's who are so dumb, they actually don't realize what this creep is saying.

There is no such thing as separation of church and state.
This is a bastardized interpretation by the hard left of the "establishment clause" in the First Amendment.
Same applies to the misinterpretation of the words "provide for the general welfare"...
Your side has turned that into "provide welfare"....
Your side has also reworded "freedom OF religion into freedom FROM religion.
Neither of which are true, but you people keep fighting for them.
Your First Amendment crack is just that. A wise crack.

Forum List

Back