Sen Joe McCarthy: American Patriot and Hero

Discussion in 'History' started by CrusaderFrank, Aug 13, 2010.

1. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77,403
    So how long will you ignore Owen Lattimore, Lauchlin Currie and John Stewart Service and that's just for starters?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,309
    Oh, and the FBI secretly briefed the Democrats on the committee to the effect that she was a Communist.

3. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,309
    George Marshall and Dean Acheson, patriots?! DEAN ACHESON?! :lmao:

At first, I thought you were stupid. Now I think you're insane.

4. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,710
    Let us take Owen Lattimore, for as McCarthy said he would stake his whole case on Lattimore being a communist.
    So what happened with Lattimore were the McCarthy charges true that he was a communist or not. Can you cite the case or investigation where Lattimore was found to be a communist? Was Lattimore tried in a federal or state court or was it just an investigation? What was the evidence that finally proved Lattimore was a communist?
    McCarthy also was reported to have told a reporter that Lattimore had received instructions from four soviet agents landed by a soviet submarine, was this also true and confirmed in the investigation? Was Budenz the only witness against Lattimore and was Budenz's testimony under oath and did it convince anyone that Lattimore was an agent? What other evidence was used to prove Lattimore was an agent or even a communist?

5. Vandalshandle

Vandalshandle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,318

Yes, You read it correctly. "...patriots, such as Dean Acheson". In your case, this would be history that you need to study. In my case, I do not need to, because I lived it:

Dean Acheson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,309
    Nice attempt at a strawman, but since being a Communist was not and still isn't a crime, demanding to know about a trial for it is disingenuous.

As to evidence, Louis Budenz, a member of the Communist Party USA Politburo testified that Lattimore was handpicked by Comintern (and if you ask me what that is, you will earn yourself an automatic ignore as a dumbfuck who has no business discussing this topic) to engage in propaganda on behalf of the Soviet Union. Soviet diplomats identified Lattimore to the FBI as an agent of the Soviet Union. The McCarran Committee called him a "conscious articulate instrument of the Soviet conspiracy" after investigating him, and Lattimore was indicted for perjury over his testimony before that committee. Lattimore was instrumental in getting people jobs in government service who were later found to be Soviet operatives.

Basically, if Owen Lattimore wasn't an operative of the Soviet Union, then he was an idiot for working for them for free instead of getting paid.

7. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,309
    First of all, I didn't think I read it incorrectly. I just can't believe anyone would be so fucking nuts as to say such a thing.

Second of all, Wikipedia? Bitch, please.

8. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Frank, Cecilie1200 had no ability to answer and got mean, but what counts as a "good" McCarthy accusation?

I am trying to guess from posts. For sure if someone was ever a member of the Communist Party that seems to make them a good target for the purposes of this thread.

This is not my area of expertise. What is the Dean Acheson talk?

I was aware McCarthy seemed annoyed by Marshall, the man who came up with the Marshall plan against the spread of communism oddly enough. But that was a short term thing if I recall.

Did McCarthy really even "go after" Marshall or Acheson enough for this to be an issue? To me it seems like a modern rant on talk radio type of mud slinging he did.

9. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Dean Acheson - Conservapedia

Conservapedia, the place where I once read a back page discussion on how to soften wording on McCarthy's alcoholism, is pretty low key on the whole Acheson thing. Were McCarthy's attacks that big of a thing or just random talk radio type stuff blaming anyone and everyone for somehow not keeping China from going Communist.

10. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,309
    I answer just fine, but you get so stuck on "You weren't nice to me!" that your reading comprehension goes out the window. Not my problem.

Marshall was an incompetent, which is why a lot of people in government didn't like him, including McCarthy. And the Marshall Plan as he proposed it, despite what has been taught in school for years, was actually a prime example of what an incompetent he was.

McCarthy disliked Acheson greatly on a personal level, and thought he was incompetent as well. As with Marshall, McCarthy wasn't alone in thinking this.

As rude as McCarthy was about these men - and no one has ever denied that McCarthy was quite rude and blunt - these personal conflicts were not really any different from a member of Congress making derogatory remarks about administration members today, except that most politicians tend to be more polite and circumspect in their word choices. They were largely separate from McCarthy's interest in pursuing security risks in the government (although McCarthy did think, with some justification, that their incompetence at their jobs was helpful to America's interests).