scorsese's best film

was it aviatar that he finally got an award for? I know he has been snubbed many times.

I would say he was only snubbed twice. Dancing with the Wolves director Jim Wilson (and Kevin Costner) winning over Goodfellas was a disgrace to the industry. And Martin Richards winning for Chicago over Gangs of New York...absolutely ridiculous.

The rest of the times he lost/wasn't nominated, I would say the better film and director won. Especially Spielberg and Schindler's List. If anyone ever deserved an Oscar for directing a film, it was Spielberg for Schindler's List and Peter Jackson for the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Toss up between Goodfellas and The Departed.

"Now go home and your fuckin shine box!!!!"

Goodfellas is one of the best films ever.

A lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but I thought the acting in The Departed was briliant, but the story?? I can't count the number of times I cringed because of the plot turns which lacked any credibility at all. Actually distracted me from the film.

But goodfellas? an almost perfect gangster movie.

Toss up between Goodfellas and The Departed.

"Now go home and your fuckin shine box!!!!"

Goodfellas is one of the best films ever.

A lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but I thought the acting in The Departed was briliant, but the story?? I can't count the number of times I cringed because of the plot turns which lacked any credibility at all. Actually distracted me from the film.

But goodfellas? an almost perfect gangster movie.

I agree with you on The Departed. Honestly, I don't think it deserved Best Picture. The good news it didn't have much competition. I would have liked to see Little Miss Sunshine win, but independent films never get the credit they deserve (until this year). Babel was probably more deserving than The Departed. But the lack of good nominations pretty much forced people to award Scorsese for an undeserving film.

It should have received more acting nominations (Leonardo...for fuck's sake, he was amazing).

I have to correct something: Chicago director Martin Richards did not win Best Director. Roman Polankshi won for The Pianist. Whether or not he deserved that over Scorsese for Gangs of New York is hard to say. Both were amazing films. Gangs of New York was a better overall film, but The Pianist was incredibly well-directed.

But what's really sad is Kevin Costner beat Francis Ford Coppola AND Martin Scorsese. My guess is that nominating both of those two split their votes and allowed Costner the win. Sickening. Costner is a blight on the industry.

Forum List

Back