"bastard out of carolina" dorothy allison

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
this is the story of bone boatwright and her family...they are white trash in the social caste of sc...but they are happy....until glen waddles marries bone's mom. the writing is excellent...rates with "to kill a mockingbird". a must read for everyone.

Actually, it's a story of rape and incest. I don't think the word "white trash" is ever used in it.

It's a decent read, doesn't rate with To Kill a Mockingbird, since it's essentially a white rip-off of the same. And the end is heartbreaking, because the mom chooses the abusive POS who rapes and almost kills her daughter over her daughter.

It's allegedly "semi-autobiographical", whatever that means....

Actually, it's a story of rape and incest. I don't think the word "white trash" is ever used in it.

It's a decent read, doesn't rate with To Kill a Mockingbird, since it's essentially a white rip-off of the same. And the end is heartbreaking, because the mom chooses the abusive POS who rapes and almost kills her daughter over her daughter.

It's allegedly "semi-autobiographical", whatever that means....

Rape and incest ?

We call it courtship and the honeymoon.

allie go back and read the damn book...the term white trash is used over and over again by bone boatwright...the book deals with much more than the movie...

rape occurrs and i dont know if you would call it ..incest...he is her step father...the book is more about the mentality of people in different situations...i dont think you have read the book or you would understand the writing comparisons...it reminded me a lot of "beans of egypt maine" not an easy read but the words flow from the page

as always the book is so much more....fills out a lot of things....sweetie ....

Really?

I should try reading.

Thanks for the tip, sweetie.

Said1 At Home:

Read.jpg

Forum List

Back