School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

We have our priorities wrong. That's on all of us.
A good math teacher... especially at the grammar school level should be paid a minimum of 250k/year...based on results. Math is the key to all science. Same thing goes for physics, chemistry and mech engineering.

A good math teacher... especially at the grammar school level should be paid a minimum of 250k/year...based on results. Math is the key to all science. Same thing goes for physics, chemistry and mech engineering.
They should make enough to allow for an upper middle class lifestyle. That's gonna be a lot more in California than in Alabama, but it should be upper middle class

We have our priorities wrong. That's on all of us.
A good math teacher... especially at the grammar school level should be paid a minimum of 250k/year...based on results. Math is the key to all science. Same thing goes for physics, chemistry and mech engineering

They should make enough to allow for an upper middle class lifestyle. That's gonna be a lot more in California than in Alabama, but it should be upper middle class
We are stupid not to incentivize this field of endeavor. IMO some schools should be based on mathematics up to 80 percent. Find more and better ways to teach it. Kids find it hard at first but once they see the magic the sky is the limit. Its a matter of turning them.....it happens one day when they use a math formula to gain something they want or need. After that you can't stop them. Why we decided to take the road we did is a mystery to me but I believe it has a lot to do with What Stalin said he was going to do to the Western culture long ago. He's dead and gone now but his plan worked.

JO

You shouldn't be a teacher if you feel that way about child abuse.

I don't think I need to explain how I feel about child abuse.

That's not what this is about.

This is about society who asks us to do everything and then:

1. Blames us when we do and
2. Blames us when we don't

"My point is: is this a JAILABLE, criminal offense? Really?"

Under Florida law, yes. Failure to report sexual assault of a minor is a felony.

(Although technically the 2nd Article Sue posted says they did report it, just 3 days later.)

WW

I didn't even see that--honest to Pete. They reported it THREE DAYS LATER and still appeared in court....in jail duds?

Crazy. Wait til the D teaching team shows up, after everyone else has quit.

No, you don't own the kids. And THIS is a great example of why you don't.

Okay then, don't JAIL us when we don't take on the duties that parents do.

Under YOUR precepts. YOURS:

Why should the choir teacher not have said, "Have her tell her parents"?

In Indiana it is a legal requirement for any job where children are present to report to law enforcement any evidence they see where a child is abused.
Not just teachers.

I'm not debating whether this is a law or not. It seems clear that it is.

I'm not even debating if the admin are eggheads. They likely are.

I'm asking my fellow conservatives mainly: WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Why should the choir teacher not have told the girl, upon receiving the note, "tell her to tell her parents"?

Okay then, don't JAIL us when we don't take on the duties that parents do.

Under YOUR precepts. YOURS:

Why should the choir teacher not have said, "Have her tell her parents"?

Often times it's the parents who are the abusers.

It's unclear to me, from the article, just who is responsible for passing the information on to whom, in the chain of command, but at some point, someone in that chain certainly had a duty to notify the appropriate authorities, and failed to do so in a timely manner.

I can see a dubious excuse for those lower in this hierarchy to figure that their duty just extends to passing the information up to their supervisors, and leaving it to someone above them to report it to the legal authorities.

At least one school official in this chain, if not all of them, fully deserves to go to jail.

Yeah?

Aren't you one of the biggest players of the gong that says "Leave our kids alone" on here?

So why, under your precepts, should the choir teacher not have said to the girl, "Tell her to tell her parents"?

We are stupid not to incentivize this field of endeavor. IMO some schools should be based on mathematics up to 80 percent. Find more and better ways to teach it. Kids find it hard at first but once they see the magic the sky is the limit. Its a matter of turning them.....it happens one day when they use a math formula to gain something they want or need. After that you can't stop them. Why we decided to take the road we did is a mystery to me but I believe it has a lot to do with What Stalin said he was going to do to the Western culture long ago. He's dead and gone now but his plan worked.

JO
What did Stalin say about our culture and what does it have to do with the fact that teachers are underpaid?

Often times it's the parents who are the abusers.

And in that case the law is very clear, and I have no problem with that. If a child tells ANY of us I'm being abused/neglected at home, that's a no-brainer.

But that wasn't the case.

These SAME conservatives who don't want the schools doing anything but the Three Rs now want these teachers JAILED for not...what?...notifying the parents?

Who wants to work with our maniacal public?

I don't think I need to explain how I feel about child abuse.

That's not what this is about.

This is about society who asks us to do everything and then:

1. Blames us when we do and
2. Blames us when we don't
Who blames you when you follow protocol? Some yahoo on an internet chat site?

You should bone up on Florida law, it is a 3rd degree felony if I or anyone suspects child abuse of any type and does not report it to the authorities.

I'm not debating whether/if it's a law. So what. A bunch of laws are completely BS.

I'm asking for some consistency from my fellow conservatives on educational matters. You might as well ask the sun to rise in the west, I know.

Who blames you when you follow protocol? Some yahoo on an internet chat site?

Parents band together, go to the school board, read statements about how terrible the teachers are, and then the yahoos on the internet chat sites pass it all over.

Then your reputation and career are ruined.

And in that case the law is very clear, and I have no problem with that. If a child tells ANY of us I'm being abused/neglected at home, that's a no-brainer.

The teacher had no idea who was abusing the girl. It could have been at home.

But that wasn't the case.

These SAME conservatives who don't want the schools doing anything but the Three Rs now want these teachers JAILED for not...what?...notifying the parents?

Who wants to work with our maniacal public?

I can't answer for "conservatives".

As a society we have grossly neglected the teaching profession. We have underpaid them, marginalized them and allowed all manner of idiots to infiltrate their ranks. Yet we pay millions to someone just because they are 7 feet tall and can bounce a ball. We are a STOOOOOPID race and will follow the Dodo birds soon.

And this is an example of a no-win situation in which case, if you GET IT WRONG...

You GO TO JAIL.

And all the anti-teacher yahoos here yelling "leave the kids alone" are very happy to have teachers snoop into THIS aspect of kids' sexual lives, and if they get it wrong, well, off to the clink for you, teach!

It's insane. Who can deal with this public?

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

Staff are now JAILED--including the teacher, who did the correct thing.

On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.

America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?

Who is going to do this job now? Why would they?

Reporting child abuse has been required of teachers since I was in school. And that was a long time ago. It's part of the job, and all teachers are well aware of this. It's not a new concept.

The teacher had no idea who was abusing the girl. It could have been at home.

I can't answer for "conservatives".

The letter she passed to the teacher said the student had "many problems with guys"

Does that sound like parents?

Forum List

Back