School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

He altered grades and got caught. And, like I said, the allegation involves the son of a school staffer, in which case the non reporting was to benefit the STAFF, not the student.

Schools can't demand they get to determine all aspects of student life on campus, and then expect a free pass when they engage in nefarious activity.

I repeat: many school admins are douchebags.

Are we going to jail them? For what, because we have now conscripted them into reporting on teenage sexual abuse student-to-student?

People. Make up your mind. Do we "own the kids" or do we not?

#1 The people aren't charged with "the crime" (sexual assault), they are being charged under Florida's mandatory reporting law which makes it a crime for mandatory reporters to NOT report a case of sexual assault involving a student.

#2 I'm a little confused though because you second link says they did report it. At 5:00PM after a morning meeting at 9:00AM. I guess they just didn't report it fast enough.

#3 Again though, I'm not condoning any actions are defending the staff, but the 2nd link kinds of indicates there are some fundamental problems with leadership in that school.

WW
View attachment 809342

To be clear I'm not defending a single thing they did. It's not only possible, but likely that the admin sucks top to bottom.

My point is: is this a JAILABLE, criminal offense? Really?

And second, to my fellow conservatives, what do you really want? This was not a child reporting to the only other trusted adults in her life--teachers--that she is suffering sexual abuse at home.

Where are the parents here? Why is it all the school's responsibility?

But they knew about the crime off property and off time.
It definitely was not correct and it was the wrong call. They should have guidelines for what is expected of them clearly stated in their job description.
It is a criminal offense if the state of Florida made it a criminal offense. Look it up.
People that agree with the policy

We are mandatory reporters for child abuse and neglect, absolutely.

Is teen-to-teen sexual abuse "child abuse" and "neglect"? I don't think it's that clear. Again, I'm not saying the admin made the right call. I'm asking do you JAIL these people, and criminally charge them.

You get paid maybe $50K a year and if you make a misstep in one direction, jail for you. In another direction--leave the kids alone! What they do off school hours and off school time is not your business!

There is no winning here.
You shouldn't be a teacher if you feel that way about child abuse.

You get paid maybe $50K a year and if you make a misstep in one direction, jail for you. In another direction--leave the kids alone! What they do off school hours and off school time is not your business!

There is no winning here.
Teachers are underpaid and underappreciated. They have a powerful union, use it.

• Fact
Reactions: cnm
To be clear I'm not defending a single thing they did. It's not only possible, but likely that the admin sucks top to bottom.

My point is: is this a JAILABLE, criminal offense? Really?

And second, to my fellow conservatives, what do you really want? This was not a child reporting to the only other trusted adults in her life--teachers--that she is suffering sexual abuse at home.

Where are the parents here? Why is it all the school's responsibility?

"My point is: is this a JAILABLE, criminal offense? Really?"

Under Florida law, yes. Failure to report sexual assault of a minor is a felony.

(Although technically the 2nd Article Sue posted says they did report it, just 3 days later.)

WW

I repeat: many school admins are douchebags.

Are we going to jail them? For what, because we have now conscripted them into reporting on teenage sexual abuse student-to-student?

People. Make up your mind. Do we "own the kids" or do we not?

No, you don't own the kids. And THIS is a great example of why you don't.

Is teen-to-teen sexual abuse "child abuse" and "neglect"? I don't think it's that clear. Again, I'm not saying the admin made the right call. I'm asking do you JAIL these people, and criminally charge them.
That depends on the sentencing guidelines under the statute. There is a range for severity and other factors.

This is not a political story about the gov of the state. It is more about what we SAY we expect of teachers and school personnel and what we really expect of them...which is very close to Jesus Christ status.

None of these people actually committed the sexual crime. They didn't report it, that's it--a crime that took place off school property and off school time.

It might not be correct, even--meaning, maybe they made the wrong call. My question to the board is: this this a jailable offense?

And if it is, who goes into teaching now?
In Indiana it is a legal requirement for any job where children are present to report to law enforcement any evidence they see where a child is abused.
Not just teachers.

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.
Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT
Staff are now JAILED--including the teacher, who did the correct thing.
On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.
America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?
Who is going to do this job now? Why would they?

It's unclear to me, from the article, just who is responsible for passing the information on to whom, in the chain of command, but at some point, someone in that chain certainly had a duty to notify the appropriate authorities, and failed to do so in a timely manner.

I can see a dubious excuse for those lower in this hierarchy to figure that their duty just extends to passing the information up to their supervisors, and leaving it to someone above them to report it to the legal authorities.

At least one school official in this chain, if not all of them, fully deserves to go to jail.

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.

America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?

You should bone up on Florida law, it is a 3rd degree felony if I or anyone suspects child abuse of any type and does not report it to the authorities.

As a society we have grossly neglected the teaching profession. We have underpaid them, marginalized them and allowed all manner of idiots to infiltrate their ranks. Yet we pay millions to someone just because they are 7 feet tall and can bounce a ball. We are a STOOOOOPID race and will follow the Dodo birds soon.

The odds of them going to jail are probably close to zero.

THE Meatball. There is only one Meatball
I remember the meathead
th

but no idea who the meatball is.

It's mandatory for any resident in Florida to report suspected child abuse.

You should bone up on Florida law, it is a 3rd degree felony if I or anyone suspects child abuse of any type and does not report it to the authorities.

Sweet Sue should be better informed about her own job. She knows all about horse paste and poisonous face masks but didn't read what she signed up for when she put her chicken scratches on her contract.

As a society we have grossly neglected the teaching profession. We have underpaid them, marginalized them and allowed all manner of idiots to infiltrate their ranks. Yet we pay millions to someone just because they are 7 feet tall and can bounce a ball. We are a STOOOOOPID race and will follow the Dodo birds soon.
We have our priorities wrong. That's on all of us.

Forum List

Back