SAT

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A surprising number of seniors in the high school where I teach have never even heard of the SAT. On the other hand, many of the students I tutor in very wealthy towns have been studying for it since before middle school. And people wonder why there are such disparities in results.

Many major colleges and universities are now waiving SAT/ACT requirements. But I'm guessing those kids who never heard of the SAT don't have the best GPAs either.

Many major colleges and universities are now waiving SAT/ACT requirements. But I'm guessing those kids who never heard of the SAT don't have the best GPAs either.
Perhaps more relevant is that far fewer of them have any intention of attending college.

Then how can a class that focuses on how to take the ACT increase a person's score by 6 points, from 24 to 30?
When you study the content that will be on a test, you generally do better on that test. When you become more familiar with the format of a test, you generally do better on that test.

Bad parenting.
Typically, Isaac Newton's Parents Even Thought Learning to Read Was a Waste of Time

You can no more blame parents' disinterest for that than blame it for failure to make a school sports team. Compare everything to the productive way sports are done and you will realize why education is such an unmotivating and unnatural scheme to shrink-wrap intelligence.

Forum List

Back