S. Carolina bar posts ban on concealed guns, calls those who carry "d-bags"

Well, look at this. This bar is near Clemson University, a college bar. Its in the upper state of SC, a very conservative area, near the Greenville Metro area halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte.

This courageous, small business owning American practice HIS right and his free speech.

SC passed a law allowing people to carry guns into bars. Booze and bullets, they mix, right?

Anyway, bars can post signs banning CWP holders from packing heat (you know, "just in case" they need to stand their ground by the pool tables).

This guy's sign not only bans them, but quotes: “NO CONCEALED WEAPONS ALLOWED. If you are such a loser that you feel a need to carry a gun with you when you go out, I do not want your business. Douchebag.”

He couldn't have said it any better. I support the right to own a gun, and keep it at your home and in your car. But I do NOT want to be next to some right wing idiot who needs to pack heat every time he goes to a bar or movie or walk in the park. Those folks are just not the type of people I want to be around, and God Bless America for allowing this brave small business owner to practice his right to keep those idiots out of his business.

If I had a kid that went to Clemson, I'd hope they'd choose this bar as their choice watering hole (hey, they're gonna go out and drink, face it:doubt:)

Tennessee passed the same law.
I support the second amendment but I think there are a few (very few) legitimate time-place-manner restrictions that are legitimate. A bar is one of those imho.

Yep. And you only have to be 18 in SC to own a pistol.

So, a college bar in a college town full of drunk college kids.............doesn't need the douchebags who think they need to bring their guns to the college bar to watch the Clemson vs South Carolina football game. People who feel they need to be armed for that are, indeed, douchebags.

Federal Law mandates 21. Last I checked Fed law supersedes State law every time.

21 to carry, not to own.

21 to buy for sure. If one is given as a gift that is OK but an 18 year old can't use it other than at a range.

Well, look at this. This bar is near Clemson University, a college bar. Its in the upper state of SC, a very conservative area, near the Greenville Metro area halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte.

This courageous, small business owning American practice HIS right and his free speech.

SC passed a law allowing people to carry guns into bars. Booze and bullets, they mix, right?

Anyway, bars can post signs banning CWP holders from packing heat (you know, "just in case" they need to stand their ground by the pool tables).

This guy's sign not only bans them, but quotes: “NO CONCEALED WEAPONS ALLOWED. If you are such a loser that you feel a need to carry a gun with you when you go out, I do not want your business. Douchebag.”

He couldn't have said it any better. I support the right to own a gun, and keep it at your home and in your car. But I do NOT want to be next to some right wing idiot who needs to pack heat every time he goes to a bar or movie or walk in the park. Those folks are just not the type of people I want to be around, and God Bless America for allowing this brave small business owner to practice his right to keep those idiots out of his business.

If I had a kid that went to Clemson, I'd hope they'd choose this bar as their choice watering hole (hey, they're gonna go out and drink, face it:doubt:)

Good!! As a gun owner I cannot understand why guns should be allowed in a bar, that's all they need is some tanked up hillbilly with a loaded firearm in a bar looking for a fight, no good can come of it. In addition the bar owner has to think about the liability issue.

100% agree. I own guns, and have trained with them a lot, under high stress situations. And know that guns DO NOT mix in certain crowds and environments. And the only thing worse than a gun being in a volatile situation..............is a gun in the hands of a person who THINKS they are capable, but truly aren't, and then trying to take unnecessary action.

A sign is just letters on a board,for this to work everyone would have to abide by it,do you think that will be true?

3-4 rednecks (who possibly are drinking) to pull out their heat and start blazing rounds at the bad guy

This is the kind of hysterical comment we regularly get from people who learned everything they know about guns, from watching Hollywood movies.

If you had a gun in your pocket and someone started robbing the place you're in, would YOU "start blazing rounds at the bad guy"?

But you think others would.

Your arrogance and self-admiration are matched only by your ignorance.

The sad part is that, despite all this, even you vote.

Most CWP holders have better training than the cops. But as you so correctly point out, it's his bar, he can certainly do as he wishes. I don't frequent places like that, as they are generally filled with losers, but to each their own...

Most people inside of bars are less drunk than cops.. Probably not on drugs, like cops.

It's a college bar for college kids.

So, a college bar in a college town full of drunk college kids.............doesn't need the douchebags who think they need to bring their guns to the college bar to watch the Clemson vs South Carolina football game. People who feel they need to be armed for that are, indeed, douchebags.

Federal Law mandates 21. Last I checked Fed law supersedes State law every time.

It changed in SC for ownership and possession. 18 year olds can now possess and own a pistol. They just cant be the person buying it.

Federally, an 18 year old cant buy from an FFL. But, can own or possess a pistol according to state laws. In SC, an 18 year old can now legally carry a pistol, own it, and buy it from a private seller. Just not from an FFL.

Not to mention......Clemson U has plenty of 21-23 year olds who go to bars.......and have no business bringing their pistols. They are the dbags he speaks of.

Living in SC, I see some of these "douchebags" the bar owner is talking about.

They're normal everyday folks, who abide laws. Which means, they are NOT out in the bad streets buying or selling drugs, aren't inviting shady people over to their homes. Aren't wandering the streets drunk at night.

In other words, they live a life in which they face almost no real danger. The most dangerous thing they face is probably the threat of a drunk driver, or the neighbors dog biting them.

Yet, every day, they pack their heat, saying things like "I always carry, just in case". And they truly wanna carry in a bar, a mall, a movie, a wedding. Anywhere and everywhere. And really for no good reason.

Sure, you may say there is a tiny chance of random crime. But it is outweighed by the chance of tragic accidents. Or, worse, some redneck with an itchy trigger finger deciding to "stand his ground" in a bar argument, shooting and missing and killing an innocent person. Just happened in Charleston lately.

And really for no good reason.

The problem is YOU don't get to make that call.

Yeah.. And the court of public opinion went against him. He took down the sign and back pedaled from his stance.
He wasn't being brave. All college towns are packed with libs. THAT is why he thought this was a good idea.
Tell ya what..Had the sign simply stated "No weapons permitted", he'd be expressing his right to free speech and his right to operate his business in the manner he saw fit.
Because he took this 15 steps further and decided to impugn ALL gun owners who dared cross his ideological threshold, he was WAY out of line.
I find it amusing how libs believe it is part of their very being to shout down any speech THEY deem improper, but when conservatives do it, it is wrong.
So tell me, where is the absence of hypocrisy here?
BTW, consumption of alcohol by people under the age of 21 is ILLEGAL....Not "oh well they are going to drink anyway"....That's a bullshit excuse.

3-4 rednecks (who possibly are drinking) to pull out their heat and start blazing rounds at the bad guy

This is the kind of hysterical comment we regularly get from people who learned everything they know about guns, from watching Hollywood movies.

If you had a gun in your pocket and someone started robbing the place you're in, would YOU "start blazing rounds at the bad guy"?

But you think others would.

Your arrogance and self-admiration are matched only by your ignorance.

The sad part is that, despite all this, even you vote.

I learned mine from 8 years with Atlanta PD. And even with intensive gun training under stress situations, cops still miss and still get tunnel vision and struggle. I'd bet almost all military folks do the same in real situations until they become battle hardened.

So forgive me if I don't have much faith in a person taking a real life shot.......when their training is basically putting holes in a piece of paper and plinking cans in the back yard. Unless you're a former combat vet with years of experience, you probably have little business taking a shot at a bad guy in a crowded bar, given the tiny % of incidents of robbery that end with a victim being shot.

No, I wouldn't take a shot. Because 99.9% of armed robberies end without a shot fired....by the bad guy or anyone else, AND I'm not sure I have the skill level to take such a shot in close quarters, high stress, without missing.

Yes, I think there are enough stupid rednecks with guns who dream of that opportunity that, out of ignorance, would think they have the skill to take that close quarters, high stress, high risk shot.

If someone did pull a gun to rob him, the LAST thing he'd want is for 3-4 rednecks (who possibly are drinking) to pull out their heat and start blazing rounds at the bad guy........inevitably missing several times and sending bullets into the crowd and backdrop of whatever is behind them.

Like the NYPD?

NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

Who do you think has more training with firearms - the NYPD or the average gun owner?

The argument that cops accidentally shoot bystanders doesn't come close to even suggesting that basically untrained drunk idiots would somehow be better.

Living in SC, I see some of these "douchebags" the bar owner is talking about.

They're normal everyday folks, who abide laws. Which means, they are NOT out in the bad streets buying or selling drugs, aren't inviting shady people over to their homes. Aren't wandering the streets drunk at night.

In other words, they live a life in which they face almost no real danger. The most dangerous thing they face is probably the threat of a drunk driver, or the neighbors dog biting them.

Yet, every day, they pack their heat, saying things like "I always carry, just in case". And they truly wanna carry in a bar, a mall, a movie, a wedding. Anywhere and everywhere. And really for no good reason.

Sure, you may say there is a tiny chance of random crime. But it is outweighed by the chance of tragic accidents. Or, worse, some redneck with an itchy trigger finger deciding to "stand his ground" in a bar argument, shooting and missing and killing an innocent person. Just happened in Charleston lately.

Pretty typical liberal excuse for govt-uber-alles regulation.

Since people aren't PERFECT, government must restrict everybody's rights.

Yeah.. And the court of public opinion went against him. He took down the sign and back pedaled from his stance.
He wasn't being brave. All college towns are packed with libs. THAT is why he thought this was a good idea.
Tell ya what..Had the sign simply stated "No weapons permitted", he'd be expressing his right to free speech and his right to operate his business in the manner he saw fit.
Because he took this 15 steps further and decided to impugn ALL gun owners who dared cross his ideological threshold, he was WAY out of line.
I find it amusing how libs believe it is part of their very being to shout down any speech THEY deem improper, but when conservatives do it, it is wrong.
So tell me, where is the absence of hypocrisy here?
BTW, consumption of alcohol by people under the age of 21 is ILLEGAL....Not "oh well they are going to drink anyway"....That's a bullshit excuse.

Well, locally we're hearing about how "full of libtards" Clemson U and its town are. So, now that his bar is a famous liberal joint, I bet his business picks up. He probably took it down so he could avoid having a backlash of Tea Party rednecks trying to do protests or worse in front of his business.

If the bar is loaded with drunk kids , he's in violation of TWO laws.
Serving minors. Serving patrons who appear drunk.

If someone did pull a gun to rob him, the LAST thing he'd want is for 3-4 rednecks (who possibly are drinking) to pull out their heat and start blazing rounds at the bad guy........inevitably missing several times and sending bullets into the crowd and backdrop of whatever is behind them.

Like the NYPD?

NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

Who do you think has more training with firearms - the NYPD or the average gun owner?

The argument that cops accidentally shoot bystanders doesn't come close to even suggesting that basically untrained drunk idiots would somehow be better.

The NYPD. No question about it.

Redneck gun nuts confuse "target practice" with "training".

I could explain the difference......but they wouldn't get it.

As for those who posted about cops shooting innocent bystanders, yes, it happens, even with those trained under high stress training with firearms.

Pat Tillman and numerous other military heroes have been killed by friendly fire. Even the best of the best make mistakes and accidents with weapons.

SO don't tell me that the average, untrained gun owning redneck in a bar is all of a sudden gonna become Jason Bourne with a pistol in a crowd when its time to stand his ground.

If he is letting 18 year olds drink he has completely different and more serious issues.

I thought The South Carolina Bar called people who carry concealed guns douchebags. That would make a far more interesting story.

Me disappoint.

If he is letting 18 year olds drink he has completely different and more serious issues.

Hes not. But most college bars are 18 and up. You can be 18 in a bar and not drink. Just like you can bring a gun in a bar and not drink.

But, as we know, most 18 year olds in a college bar will drink, because hey, "nobody will ever know".

Just like most gun owners in a bar with a concealed gun who aren't supposed to drink...........well, "nobody will ever know".

Right?

As for those who posted about cops shooting innocent bystanders, yes, it happens, even with those trained under high stress training with firearms.

Pat Tillman and numerous other military heroes have been killed by friendly fire. Even the best of the best make mistakes and accidents with weapons.

SO don't tell me that the average, untrained gun owning redneck in a bar is all of a sudden gonna become Jason Bourne with a pistol in a crowd when its time to stand his ground.

about the most succinct statement on this issue that's I've read. And I agree with it.

Forum List

Back