Rush On Greta: So amazing!

Kathianne said:
Nah, you are getting me to bash, when that is not what I meant to do. There are too many Right that ditto Rush, without cognition. Then there are even more that ditto Jesse Jackson, which he counts on, without understanding squat. I'm ashamed of 'dittoheads' of either leaning.

That isn't to bash Rush or Jesse, both playing to an audience.

Being a dittohead simply means you enjoy the show. It doesn't mean you agree with everything he says.

Just out of curiosity what do you or anyone else thing Rush is wrong about? Ive been on tons of boards where Ive seen liberals yelling how Rush or Hannity or any other Conservative radio host is "lying" or "wrong" but no one ever seems to be able to support what he is supposedly wrong or lying about. Its as tough to get an answer on that question as it is to get an answer about what it is President Clinton did that made him so great or what it is that President Bush is doing that makes him a liar or stupid.

rtwngAvngr said:
and sometimes two people reach the same wrong conclusion via two diverging, yet equally faulty paths of reasoning. Don't forget that.

And I don't feel emboldened when you agree with me. Of course you feel emboldened when Kathianne agrees with you, she's somewhat of a social/organizational authority figure around here. Sort of like how I'm the papa. Did you know that many atheists hated daddy. An overdeveloped oedipus complex is a) sad and be b) is the defining psychological trait of atheists and criminals.

I agree with you that there's nothing worse than a mama's boy. They cause most of the trouble in the world. (Although your buddy Geo.W is one, hmmm). I don't see the correlation with atheism. Anecdotally it's not true among either the atheists or the mama's boys I know that they are one and the same. In my case my self esteem is strong enough that I don't worry too much what anybody (especially on the internet) thinks about me.

Nuc said:
In my case my self esteem is strong enough that I don't worry too much what anybody (especially on the internet) thinks about me.

That's great!

rtwngAvngr said:
Rush is kicking tale on greta's show. Talking point after talking point, a machine gun of truth.

That was great! Commentary on TV that was actually intelligent and well spoken. Poor Greta and her "soundbite/attorney" approach was totally flummoxed and she basically was lost in the dust (like most liberals).

dittos :rock:

ScreamingEagle said:
That was great! Commentary on TV that was actually intelligent and well spoken. Poor Greta and her "soundbite/attorney" approach was totally flummoxed and she basically was lost in the dust (like most liberals).

dittos :rock:

I thought so too---his "clarions" are intended to provoke reaction. Bold, positive assertions just rub some people the wrong way and his satire is often mistaken for arrogance. If Bush would do a little more preaching to the choir and making some bold assertions I bet his ratings would go up.

rtwngAvngr said:
Sort of like how I'm the papa. Did you know that many atheists hated daddy. An overdeveloped oedipus complex is a) sad and be b) is the defining psychological trait of atheists and criminals.

Where do you get this from? :link:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/vitz.txt

Dr. Vitz described an explanation of atheism using Freud's psychology
of the Oedipus Complex. Freud posited that this is a psychological
disorder that all males suffer from and consists of the desire to kill
one's father and sleep with one's mother. Now, psychologically God
and one's father are the same. Thus, the desire to kill one's father
means one also desired to eliminate God. Atheism is Oedipal wish
fulfillment.

E.g. Voltaire wasn't an atheist, but a deist: he rejected a personal
God. He strongly rejected his own father. In his twenties (1718) he
published a play called Oedipus that included heavy allusions to
religious and political rebellion

Diderot was an avowed atheist and he claimed that if man were left to
himself, he would strangle his father and lie with his mother.

Freud noted a link between diminishing of a father's authority and
belief in God.

Dr. Vitz outlines his "Theory of the Defective Father," which
attemptes to explain atheism:

1. father present but weak
2. father present but abusive
3. father absent

Freud's father, Yakov was weak and had trouble supporting his family
and was a sexual pervert. Also he was a liberal Jew, so Freud linked
his weakness to his religion.

Hobbes-- his father was an Anglican clergyman who abandoned his
family.

Freurbach-- his father was a famous legal theoriest.
at 13, his father abandoned the family to live with another woman,
though he later returned when that woman died.

Schopenhauer-- couldn't stand his mother and intially (ages 8-12) was
relatively close to his father. At age 16, his father committed
suicide.

Other staunch atheists show the remarkably common pattern of having a
father who died while they were young. For example, Nietzche,
Bertrand Russel, Sartre and Camus.

More recent examples:

Madeline Murray O'hare hated her father and tried to kill him with a
butcher knife, according to her son's book.

Albert Ellis is a psychologist hostile to religion. Dr. Vitz was on a
panel with him and outlined his theory of the defective father to him.
Ellis said the theory didn't fit him because he got along with his
father. In casual conversation, a friend told Vitz that the theory
"fits Ellis perfectly." According to a biography of Ellis, his father
abandoned the family and his weak mother was unable to support, so
Ellis and his brother ended up providing everyhting for themselves.
In his twenties, Ellis was polite to his father, though.

Anthony Flew (sp?) is a philosopher who's an atheist and the son of a
well-known English divine. At a party Flew beat on the floor
exclaiming "I hate my father!"

David Hume's father died when he was two.

As a control group, Dr. Vitz took well-known theists who were
contemporaneous to their atheist counterparts and from the same
culture: Barkeley, Burke, Wilbeforce, G.K. Chesterton, de Tocqueville,
Buber, Pascal, and others. In every instance each had a good
relationship with his father.

J.S. Mill, an atheist, also had a good relationship with his father
and so inherited his father's atheism.

To conclude, Dr. Vitz read a selection from Russel Baker, the New York
Times columnist, describing his sadness and anger at age five when his
father died, and how he then became a skeptic.

Nuc said:
I don't like him because he's a sloganeer. He reduces his entertainment concepts (I won't say "ideas" because I don't think he believes the things he says) to simple slogans, many of which are non-sequitors. Then he pounds the hell out of them until his followers accept them as givens. If you're not in the loop it just sounds like a cult or some stupid club. It's entertainment as propaganda. Or vice-versa.

I agree to a point, however he is in the entertainment biz, the trick is to seperate the fluff from the substance of which he does have when he gets serious and pours his heart out to his listeners. I think he tries to balance the two just as Laura Ingrahm does and they both make very valid points in the process. Often Rush will say something absurd whch he does, as he says, to prove absurdity. I would think one as smart as you would be able sift through that.. If we are to give both Stewart and Maher a pass for this why not Rush et al???

The ClayTaurus said:
Sorry, I didn't realize we had to research other people's blanket statements.

ya don't.....people do it all the time though....i like to see if they are lying and plus i usually learn something

rtwngAvngr said:
And I don't feel emboldened when you agree with me. Of course you feel emboldened when Kathianne agrees with you, she's somewhat of a social/organizational authority figure around here. Sort of like how I'm the papa.

You're the papa? Papa dresses up in superhero clothes? Who's mama? Wonderwoman?
:wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

Nuc said:
You're the papa? Papa dresses up in superhero clothes? Who's mama? Wonderwoman?
:wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

You got enough rope?

Does anyone have any new criticisms of Rush besides personal attack on him or his audience, or twenty year old perot grudges? Just wondering.

rtwngAvngr said:
Does anyone have any new criticisms of Rush besides personal attack on him or his audience, or twenty year old perot grudges? Just wondering.

Yeah, his followers are waiting for the instructions to drink the Kool-Aid.
:chains: :chains: :chains: :chains:

rtwngAvngr said:

This obsession to drive your point home by continually posting "got anything yet?" all over this message board is pathetic. You love Rush. We got it. We don't, so stop trying to convert us.

Forum List

Back