Rule of Law, or Rule of Man?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PredFan, Feb 11, 2012.

1. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,654
    Our founding fathers designed this Republic to be run on the Rule of Law, not the Rule of Man. In fact the founding fathers detested the label Democrat, and the whole idea of Democracy. Simply going by whatever a majority of the voters wanted was a bad idea in their eyes. Think about two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. THAT is the Rule of Man.

Our country is and should be a country based on the Rule of Law. This brings me to Proposition 8.

The people voted essentially to ban Gay Marriage (Rule of Man), the judge, in a rare moment of sanity from this guy, shot it down because of the Rule of Law.

I hear this kind of thing from both the left and the right. "The people want this, and the people want that!" That isn't how this country was founded

I have a whole lot of issues with the whole Gay Marriage debate, and probably that's for another thread, and I don't like the way each side is acting on this issue, but I ALWAYS revert to the founding fathers on issues and even if I don't like the result, their logic is sopund and has worked for almost 250 years.

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Our Flounding Fathers believed that that this Republic ought to be run by the rule of SOME MEN (and not all that many) who write the laws.

And then and ONLY then will they concede that the rule of law was the key.

3. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,856
    Our founding Fathers believed that rules of men were IN FACT subject to the rules of the Grand Law master.. God!
    For example the very simple "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" DOES take precedence over ANY law pure and simple!
    BUT today more and more people WANT the nanny state.. the cop on every corner and they don't seem to realize the fundamental law of diminishing returns is at play!

For example.. I wrote a thread regarding "banning texting while driving" as really not necessary if we all understood with as much clarity as we seemingly do with "global warming" the laws of physics i.e you can't in the time it takes from seeing to braking if you are texting! Laws of physics!

And yet some idiots instead of spending the millions of dollars on policing "texting while driving" was spent EDUCATING want MORE LAWS!

That's why more money, effort at home with families advertising spent on the "golden rule" "common sense.. show reasons why you can't stop the car..." IS the most efficient way of
    society advancing... NOT by having more Laws!

Explain to me for example why in all the alien movies we never saw the aliens have a need for "police" or laws?
    Most likely they were more intelligent and recognize that obeying laws of physics was more efficient then writing for example 40,000 NEW laws and regulations in the US in 2012 alone!

Common sense. Laws of Physics. "Golden Rule"... all if totally promoted advertised with the same
    intensity as "global warming" has done inculcated in our pre-schoolers about global warming instead completely immersing our pre-schoolers in the "Golden Rule" the laws of physics we would advance
    more efficiently!

4. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,654
    Not true. How do you figure that? They founded this country on Rule of Law, not men.

5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Disagree, at the risk of turning the thread partisan.

But it is for the most part conservatives who run afoul of the principle of the rule of law, the evidence being their advocacy of ‘letting the states decide’ with regard to privacy rights, equal access to marriage law, immigration, and the conjoining of church and State.

Many conservatives, frustrated by what they incorrectly perceive as ‘activist judges’ and ‘legislating from the bench,’ try to circumvent the rule of law by subjecting civil rights to majority rule.

Indeed, there is a subscriber to this very thread who is making the idiotic argument that citizens of the United States are subject to ‘god’s law.’ It’s that type of arrogance and ignorance the Framers desired to guard against when they created our Constitutional Republic, where the people are subject only to the rule of law, not men.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,654
    I'm not sure I comprehend much of this.

But I'm not taliing about making more laws here. I'm just saying thatour founding fathers created this country with the intention of protecting a persons rights even if the majority of people want to take those rights away. They didn't want a majority of the country voting away a minority's rights.

7. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Some very good points...

So lets add also, the system was designed for gridlock when we could not reach agreement. Seems many on the left and some on the right want to sell the entire country down the river. MORE DEBT PLEASE.

8. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,654
    Of course you do. You argue with people on the right so you are more aware of this when people on the right do it. I also see more of the left doing this than the right but I didn't say that in the OP because I recognise that my view is skewed.

The states are still subject to Rule of Law. They have courts including State Supreme Courts that are designed to maintain the rule of law over the popular vote.

Not "many conservatives" but some conservatives, yes. There are plenty of activist judges who don't follow the law at all and try to use their power to make up laws that don't follow the Constitution. Just because a judge says something doesn't mean it's law.

I think you missed the point of his post.

9. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,381
    We're a nation of laws......majority of which are stupid and insult basic human intelligence. The Declaration was out greatest document hence the recognition of our unalienable rights from our creator. After the ink was signed on the original US Constitution, things went downhill.

10. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,654
    To be completely fair, while Proposition 8 is a good example of the right supporting the Rule of Man over the Rule of Law, immigration is a good example of the left doing the same.

Rule of Law says that the illegal immigrants do not have the right to be here, nor do they have the right to work here, or the right to not be deported when they are caught. Rule of Man is what the left uses to try to circumvent then Rule of Law on the illegal immigration issue.