Rule of Law, or Rule of Man?

Our founding fathers designed this Republic to be run on the Rule of Law, not the Rule of Man. In fact the founding fathers detested the label Democrat, and the whole idea of Democracy. Simply going by whatever a majority of the voters wanted was a bad idea in their eyes. Think about two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. THAT is the Rule of Man.

Our country is and should be a country based on the Rule of Law. This brings me to Proposition 8.

The people voted essentially to ban Gay Marriage (Rule of Man), the judge, in a rare moment of sanity from this guy, shot it down because of the Rule of Law.

I hear this kind of thing from both the left and the right. "The people want this, and the people want that!" That isn't how this country was founded

I have a whole lot of issues with the whole Gay Marriage debate, and probably that's for another thread, and I don't like the way each side is acting on this issue, but I ALWAYS revert to the founding fathers on issues and even if I don't like the result, their logic is sopund and has worked for almost 250 years.

The founders did NOT hate democracy

You are wrong. They despised it. To be called a democrat (Not to be confused with the democrat Party, which didn't exist then) was an insult. The whole Idea that a majority could vote away the rights and liberties of a minority was appalling to them. They would have been appalled at Prop 8. Educate yourself.

The founders dont live any more.

The founders also left us a system in which we could make our government our own and its called the amendment system.

They WANTED us to be able to grow our country with our needs.

Why do you hate that part of the system the FOUNDERS designed for us?

The Founding Fathers created the government that lead to the greatest country that ever existed. It's funny how you idiotic lefties love it or hate it depending on how it suits your partisan looney policies.

Can you argue with what she said? They did design a system that would change with the changing needs of society. They were slave owners that put in place a system that could overturn slavery and other forms of discrimination. That's wicked smawt.

Why should I argue with that? It's what the OP was about. Did you even read the OP?

The Founding Fathers created the government that lead to the greatest country that ever existed. It's funny how you idiotic lefties love it or hate it depending on how it suits your partisan looney policies.

In my mind as you've framed the discussion, the Rule of Law is kind of like Free Speech.

The results/action may not be very popular with everyone, but if you don't believe in the fundamental concept should be applied to those you disagree with - beware - the protections might not be there when you need them.

>>>>

Quite so. I've always like the comparison "A Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner."

Last edited:

My humble guess is that many more people would be open to the marginal tax rates of the 90's if our elected "leaders" (boy, I don't like that word in this context) could prove to us that the federal bureaucracy could spend our tax dollars "wisely" (ditto) and with far less of the waste, bloat, sloth and blatant corruption that currently pollutes our political environment.

Just sayin'.

You are wrong. They despised it. To be called a democrat (Not to be confused with the democrat Party, which didn't exist then) was an insult. The whole Idea that a majority could vote away the rights and liberties of a minority was appalling to them. They would have been appalled at Prop 8. Educate yourself.

I've felt that the fact there is was no ability for the people to vote on laws anywhere in the Constitution to be telling on that point. Even amendments to the Constitution were not subject to a direct vote.

>>>>

My humble guess is that many more people would be open to the marginal tax rates of the 90's if our elected "leaders" (boy, I don't like that word in this context) could prove to us that the federal bureaucracy could spend our tax dollars "wisely" (ditto) and with far less of the waste, bloat, sloth and blatant corruption that currently pollutes our political environment.

Just sayin'.

????

Just sayin'.

????

Was this too complicated?

Last edited:
Our founding fathers designed this Republic to be run on the Rule of Law, not the Rule of Man. In fact the founding fathers detested the label Democrat, and the whole idea of Democracy. Simply going by whatever a majority of the voters wanted was a bad idea in their eyes. Think about two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. THAT is the Rule of Man.

Our country is and should be a country based on the Rule of Law. This brings me to Proposition 8.

The people voted essentially to ban Gay Marriage (Rule of Man), the judge, in a rare moment of sanity from this guy, shot it down because of the Rule of Law.

I hear this kind of thing from both the left and the right. "The people want this, and the people want that!" That isn't how this country was founded

I have a whole lot of issues with the whole Gay Marriage debate, and probably that's for another thread, and I don't like the way each side is acting on this issue, but I ALWAYS revert to the founding fathers on issues and even if I don't like the result, their logic is sopund and has worked for almost 250 years.

Prove they hated Democracy.

You are uninformed.

They talked about disliking DIRECT democracy.

Hell they GAVE us a democracy.

You cant swallow partisan LIES and pretend they are truths without looking like a fool

I've felt that the fact there is was no ability for the people to vote on laws anywhere in the Constitution to be telling on that point. Even amendments to the Constitution were not subject to a direct vote.

>>>>

There are plenty of instances in the Constitution that one can point to to show how the FF put things in place to prevent people from voting away the liberties of others. The FF also didn't want the people to vote for POTUS or for Senators either. We were only supposed to be able to vote locally and for our representatives. I liken this to the separation of powers. No one group, even the people, were supposed to have over-riding power. People on both side of the isle miss the importance of that.

Just sayin'.

????

Was this too complicated?

No, it just seemed completely irrelevant. Did you post in the wrong thread?

Prove they hated Democracy.

You are uninformed.

They talked about disliking DIRECT democracy.

Hell they GAVE us a democracy.

You cant swallow partisan LIES and pretend they are truths without looking like a fool

They did not give us a democracy. We live in a Democracy now because we amended the constitution to change what they intended. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. Go away and quit wasting our time.

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."--Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."--- Thomas Jefferson

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”Thomas Jefferson

A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" --Thomas Jefferson

Search the Jeffersonian Cyclopedia

Thomas Jefferson Collection | Jeffersonian Encyclopedia homepage
University of Virginia Library

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7270. REPRESENTATION, Democratic. --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7270. REPRESENTATION, Democratic. --
View page | View section
The full experiment of a government democratical, but representative, was and is still reserved for us. The idea (taken, indeed, from the little specimen formerly existing in the English constitution, but now lost) has been carried by us, more or less, into all our legislative and executive departments; but it has not yet, by any of us, been pushed into all the ramifications of the system, so far as to leave no authority existing not responsible to the people; whose rights, however, to the exercise and fruits of their own industry, can never be protected against the selfishness of rulers not subject to their control at short periods. The introduction of this new principle of representative democracy has rendered useless almost everything written before on the structure of government; and, in a great measure, relieves our regret, if the political writings of Aristotle, or of any other ancient, have been lost, or are unfaithfully rendered or explained to us. --

TITLE: To Isaac H. Tiffany.
EDITION: Washington ed. vii, 32.
PLACE: Monticello
DATE: 1816

Last edited:
In that quote Jefferson calls this country a democracy which is representational.

The right wing crap sites are lying to you

What the right has done is to take the debate about DIRECT or PURE Democracy and pretend the founders were talking about Just the idea of Democracy its self and with that PRETEND the founders hated the very system they chose which was Democracy.

I jsut showed you Jeffersons UNDENIABLE quote which is in writing and an historical document which PROVES he considered this country a form of Democracy.

You will just lie about it again Im sure.

What the right has done is to take the debate about DIRECT or PURE Democracy and pretend the founders were talking about Just the idea of Democracy its self and with that PRETEND the founders hated the very system they chose which was Democracy.

I jsut showed you Jeffersons UNDENIABLE quote which is in writing and an historical document which PROVES he considered this country a form of Democracy.

You will just lie about it again Im sure.

Last post on this to you. I haven't been here too long but long enough to have wasted a lot of time in the past trying to show you how wrong you are. I went through the effort and put up the facts and it was completely lost on you. I don't know if it's because you lack the intelligence, or maybe you simply cannot admit you are wrong or what. What I know for certain is that trying to prove anything to you is a complete waste of time. you cannot even see how in this thread you are wrong every time you post.

Also, the point about whether they hated a Democracy or not is actually irrelevant to my point. The point is that they designed this country to be a nation of laws, and they wrote the US Constitution to prevent a majority of people from voting away the liberties of the minority. Rant on over your idiotic side point, I'll waste no further time with you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back