Romney plan for handing drill permit decisions to states stirs debate in West

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Romney plan for handing drill permit decisions to states stirs debate in West | Fox News

One of the primary planks of Mitt Romney's energy plan is re-igniting a decades-old debate in the West about who should control access to fossil fuels on federal lands.

In a campaign speech in Hobbs, N.M., a few weeks ago, the GOP presidential nominee told the crowd, "I will set a national goal of North American independence by 2020. That means we produce all the energy we use in North America."

In addition to opening up new areas for offshore drilling, Romney says his energy independence goal can be accomplished by speeding up the time it takes to get permits to drill on federal lands. The way to do that, he says, is by putting state regulators in charge of the federal process just as they already are on state and private lands.

Energy independence by 2020. Sweet. As opposed to Obama who said to Venezuela...
...we want to be one of your best customers.

It's clear who has a better plan for energy independence. Romney.

I can't find any Constitutional justification for the feds to own fully one third of the land in this country, so I don''t think just drilling decisions shoud be given to the states, the land should be returned to them so they can start collecting taxes on it. Would fix many of the states financial problems. Most are unaware but I think Utan is 60% owned by the feds.

I can't find any Constitutional justification for the feds to own fully one third of the land in this country, so I don''t think just drilling decisions shoud be given to the states, the land should be returned to them so they can start collecting taxes on it. Would fix many of the states financial problems. Most are unaware but I think Utan is 60% owned by the feds.

the state of utah was divided to keep gold areas away from the mormons and also state lands.

Forum List

Back