Biden plan would overhaul 151-year-old mining law, make companies pay royalties for copper and gold

Especially considering how the taxpayers always end up on the hook for cleaning up the messes they leave.

There are two sides to this coin. I can see some benefit in what you say...being more responsible for clean up of mining operations... but would that require royalties on everything extracted?? I don't think so. I think this is just another money grab and throwing up barriers for our companies. It wouldnt require that much for clean up and Im pretty sure mining companies are already shouldering much of that cost.
Look up online at out mining competators and you can see on youtube THEIR dirty mining practices... we have a hard time already being competative with them because China for instance does whatever they hell they want to the earth. Our companies may not be perfect but we already bear an extra cost that our competators do NOT.
And the other thing is why NOW? our country is still trying to bounce back..faced with inflation and there isn't an industry that the government doesnt want to burden with an extra cost...that always seems to hurt the smaller companies. Why now? terrible timing as well.

Royalties should never be designed to radically change the profit margin of an industry.... that is taking it to far. If companies are only making a profit margin of 16% and theres a net royalty of 8%.... thats punative... not a royalty.

One thing I might consider is offering a royaly to some of the Native tribes if the mining effects water sources or is done on their land.... but that type of royalty should be paid directly to the tribe from the mining company. Screw the money going through the hands of the federal government first... screw that.. you know THEY are going to skim.

Last edited:
Is there anything that you and RWingers like?

If YOU have a company.. I would LIKE the federal government to skim 30 - 50 % of your profit margins right off the top and call it a royalty.

I also like a good cup of coffee in the morning ..I also Like chicken wings. Either right or left wings are fine..

It will make it harder on smaller companies for sure. make even starting a project less feasable for them then, but yeah the bigger companies might still be ok. Its what we see from Democrats all the time, they allow the little guy to get buried and shutter up their business while the big corporations and chains survive.

They don't just survive, they thrive thanks to government killing the little guys who were their competitors

As it is now any poor person can go and make a million with some hard work.

Get rid of the 1872 law and only the corporations will be able to do the exploration.

Typical demofascist policy, reward the rich, screw the poor.
Why is it that Democrats favor the big corporations? Do they not think of the repercussions of what they do, do they not think? :dunno:

Forum List

Back