An Apology From the Dunderbeck Sausage Company

"Dunderbeck's Machine (a.k.a. "Denderbeck's Machine", "Dunderbeck's Terrible Mackine", "Johnnie Verbeck", "Mr. Johnny Trebeck" and more)"

"Dunderbeck's Machine (Oscar Brand)
INTRO: D Bdim7 A7 D [also used as a transition out of the chorus]

D A7 D
There was a man named Dunderbeck, invented a machine
D Em(E7) A7
For grinding things to sausage meat and it was run by steam.
G D G(Em) A7
Now kitchen cats & long-tailed rats will never more be seen.
D A7 D
They'll all be ground to sausage meat in Dunderbeck's machine.

CHORUS: [same chords]
Oh, Dunderbeck, oh, Dunderbeck, how could you be so mean?
For ever having invented the sausage meat machine!
Now kitchen cats & long-tailed rats will never more be seen.
They'll all be ground to sausage meat in Dunderbeck's machine.

One day a little boy walked into Dunderbeck's store.
A little piece of sausage meat was lying on the floor.
While the boy was waiting, he whistled up a tune.
The sausage meat got up and barked and ran around the room.

CHORUS:

One morning, something it went wrong; the machine, it wouldn't go.
So, Dunderbeck, he stepped inside, the reason for to know.
His wife, she had a nightmare; she was walking in her sleep.
She gave a yank and turned the crank and Dunderbeck was meat."

Link

"We hear you. You expected better from the Dunderbeck Sausage Company. From the moment our late founder invented his wonderful sausage meat machine, the Dunderbeck Sausage Company has had two goals: providing our customers and our community with bland sausages made from boring old pork, beef, and chicken, and, just as importantly, not providing our customers or our community with mouth-wateringly delicious sausages made from the plumpest, tastiest dogs, cats, and long-tailed rats in town.

We’ve know we’ve fallen short recently."

Link

So. . . are you a sock of bobo's, or his brother?

:eusa_think:

Good satire though.

. . . some of the links are dead, or now have alternative corporate PR to them.

Carmina Princetonia: The University Song Book​

1714195519464.png

Its interesting.

I have been listening and watching quite a few comedians lately, and they all generally agree, the best way to be able to write what you want to say these days, and not have it censored, is through satire.

Reply to MisterBeale,

Thanks for the Princeton copy of this song. I was under the impression that the song in the Yale songbook had different lyrics and had no idea it was in the Carmina Princetonia as you provided. That changes the direction I will take to find the origins of this song as I suspect it may be from the UK. I did like the connection to post-Civil War minstrel and vaudeville shows I found, but this new information is interesting, thanks, you were one reply out of a half dozen forums and two social media platforms.

I am not a sock puppet for anyone, I am a refugee from Above Top Secret and I'm well-known in the conspiracy forums. I'm the Michigan Swamp Buck, trophy king of the whitetail herd here in west central Michigan in the Manistee National Forest.

I suspect that this one came from the Victorian Industrial Era, likely from England. I'll further speculate that it was a drinking song from the pubs.

I've discovered that it is an old Ozark folk song. Here is what they have to say about it from one university collection . . .

Several songs that appear in the Ozark Folksong Collection depict ethnic, racial, and gender insensitivity that was once commonplace in American society. Such portrayals were wrong then and are wrong today.

LINK

I guess using the description of a "fat old Dutchman" is a racial slur.

It goes back at least to 1873 as a Yale College Song as recorded in the "Carmina Yalensia" publication.

"three years later was borrowed by vaudevillian Ed Harrigan for a textually unrelated comic stage song, "Dunderbeck."

This would have the earliest date of 1876 from a vaudeville act.

LINK

So MisterBeale, do I still appear to be "a sock of bobo's, or his brother"?

So MisterBeale, do I still appear to be "a sock of bobo's, or his brother"?

Of bobo? No, definitely not.

OTH? He had stated, that he generally did most of his hunting at his brother's place?

I had always got the impression that his brother was more well off, and a bit less prone to group think.

SO I can't really say on that. First rule of anonymous msg boards seems to be, "keep'em guessin'"

:dunno:

I have copies of both the Carmina Yalensia and the Carmina Princetonsia.

Yalensia has Ed Harrigan as the author and that version was copyrighted in 1876 and the Princetonsia version has a copyright, "1894, by Martin R. Dennis & Co." who published the songbook, but no author. This seems to prove the claim that Ed used another song Yale College Song around 1873 ("Son of a Gambolier" I believe). I'd have to compare the melody to be sure though.

I just found an old performance on YouTube and that is the melody for Dunderbeck, so that part of the story may be true.

Last edited:
I made a mistake in that last post, I found Dunderbeck by Ed Harrigan in "Our Own Boys Songster" published in 1876, the Carmina Yalensia was published in 1867 and had neither "Dunderbeck" or "Son of a Gambolier" in it's collection. I need to find out if the Carmina Yalensia was published between 1873 and 1876.

I found the 1873 Carmina Yalensia and it has "Son of a Gambolier" but not "Dunderbeck".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back