Revolution!!!

So do you ever think about some sort of revolution per the OP?

• Yes. Sometimes I really do.

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No way. Never!

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Not exactly, but we sure need a good overhaul.

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No, but we need some new rules. I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jake,

Would you say we are being held together?

Look at this forum as an example. Are we being held together? Or are we violently opposed to one another?

To be fair, you're a bit far away for a left hook.

LOL true...but based on the rest of this forum, is there any doubt that several of these posters would have come to blows had they had the same conversation face to face?

I suspect most of us are far more respectful in person. Then again, I can be far more intimidating in person, or so I've been told.

LOL true...but based on the rest of this forum, is there any doubt that several of these posters would have come to blows had they had the same conversation face to face?

I suspect most of us are far more respectful in person. Then again, I can be far more intimidating in person, or so I've been told.

I agree with save (about people being more respectful in person; I can't speak to his intimidation factor :tongue:). I don't think the majority of conversations that happen here would be the same at all in person.

I think there is plenty of opposition in this country but, thankfully, it is rarely violent.

Of course it wouldnt happen in person.

Most people are cowards who dont have the balls to say what they really feel if theres a chance a punch to the face would be the answer.

And yeah ive been told Im intimidating too. Why? I have no idea. Anyone thats intimidated by me has got to be a complete pussy. Im old, Im fat and Im slow.

Last edited:
Of course it wouldnt happen in person.

Most people are cowards who dont have the balls to say what they really feel if theres a chance a punch to the face would be the answer.

And yeah ive been told Im intimidating too. Why? I have no idea. Anyone thats intimidated by me has got to be a complete pussy. Im old, Im fat and Im slow.

Well, I don't think it's all cowardice. I think people are just more polite and civil in person. The anonymity of the internet has created a different set of rules and values for interpersonal communication.

"How about limiting campaign contributions? Contributions only allowed from individuals, and only from the constituency to be represented."

That sounds reasonable, but again with absolute limits on the total amount.

What about the question of public financing to arm those who are not quite fully equipped for the revolution? I mean, we want a level playing field.
Which reminds me, I want to add an item to my list. One of those 17 round 9mm semi-auto pistols might be nice for 'blazing away' sessions.

I agree with save (about people being more respectful in person; I can't speak to his intimidation factor :tongue:). I don't think the majority of conversations that happen here would be the same at all in person.

I think there is plenty of opposition in this country but, thankfully, it is rarely violent.

I view my intimidation factor more like Akmed the Dead Terrorist. Others just drop everything but the terrorist part.

Building on some prior observations made by others in this thread, I shall now (as a public service) boil this down to its essence. No need to thank me.

1. Whether Revolution is a good and virtuous thing (or not) depends on what is being revolted against.

2. Before engaging in Revolution, it is always a good idea to know what follows (i.e., what do you plan to replace the thing with?) after the Revolution is successfully completed.

Thank me.

Last edited:
Some say that a good politician is defined as one who stays bought once bought.

Others say that a good politician is one who will not be bought.

But if they can't be bought, then you have no way of measuring whether or not they will stay bought.

So, I don't know.

We probably need the spoils system now more than ever.

Right?

I once worked for a very good mayor who was a fairly corrupt business person before taking office. I never observed any corruption in her time as mayor, but she got a ton of things done (in spite of or perhaps because of being labeled a heinous bitch). I decided then that sometimes, you need a little dirt and grease to keep the wheels of government running. A subsequent set of mayors with cleaner hands were decidedly impotent by comparison.

Last edited:
Look at this forum as an example. Are we being held together? Or are we violently opposed to one another?

I am not violently opposed to anyone on this forum. Some degree of belligerence in public discourse is practically an American tradition. I think we've come a long ways since Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton in a duel over some harsh political words back in the late 18th century. I might seem like a bitch here, but there isn't a member of this forum that I wouldn't take a bullet for if necessary.

There is a difference between harsh words and use of force. You should learn it.

Last edited:

Looking at your choice of avi I kinda doubt it........... :eusa_whistle:

Some say that a good politician is defined as one who stays bought once bought.

Others say that a good politician is one who will not be bought.

But if they can't be bought, then you have no way of measuring whether or not they will stay bought.

So, I don't know.

We probably need the spoils system now more than ever.

Right?

I once worked for a very good mayor who was a fairly corrupt business person before taking office. I never observed any corruption in her time as mayor, but she got a ton of things done (in spite of or perhaps because of being labeled a heinous bitch). I decided then that sometimes, you need a little dirt and grease to keep the wheels of government running. A subsequent set of mayors with cleaner hands were decidedly impotent by comparison.

A little bit of corruption is good for business.. keep the wheels turning.

This administration has gone way beyond the usual.

Obama was never a businessman, so I fail to see how he's anything but corrupt.

Well lately it means a theocracy fills the vacuum...

You think that would happen here?

I suspect they would increase their influence.

I'm not that worried about that here. If there's one thing that's gone right in the US experiment it was teasing apart religious and state power. It's widely accepted here that government has no business meddling in religious matters and vice versa. There's influence, to be sure, but I think theocratic rule would be flatly rejected, even by most of our religious zealots.

No, I think the next "revolution" in the US (whether literally a revolution, or simply working out some fundamental changes politically) will center around doing something similar to separate economic and political power. I'd like to see us pursue the principle of a "wall of separation" between government and economy that would effect the same kind of decentralization of power we achieved with the first amendment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back