Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

Cellblock2429

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2016
New York
BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

Restaurant diners are footing the bill for rising minimum wages.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

Wendy's installing self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 restaurants
US retail sales rise in January, led by gas and restaurants
What does 'A Day Without a Woman' mean for restaurants?
“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.
/---- I'm retired, a published author with ever increasing royalty payments, rental property owner, Continuing Education instructor, work part time for the Board of Elections and a short term option trader. I have no plans on working at a fast food restaurant unless I open one up. I won't because I'd have to hire bone head millenniums with useless college majors like Woman Studies and try to motivate them to show up and put in a days work. No thank you.

/---- I'm retired, a published author with ever increasing royalty payments, rental property owner, Continuing Education instructor, work part time for the Board of Elections and a short term option trader. I have no plans on working at a fast food restaurant unless I open one up. I won't because I'd have to hire bone head millenniums with useless college majors like Woman Studies and try to motivate them to show up and put in a days work. No thank you.
Of course you are. Then you don't mind paying more for fast food, if you eat it.

If you are retired, why are you still working?
Worthless degrees, like the one Mark Zuckerberg never got? You couldn't run a restaurant, it takes people with an open mind..Those people with worthless degrees are still humans...Even Though you think less of them..I bet there was a time you were young and dumb also...

BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.

So? If you can afford to overpay for a bagful of crap now, you can certainly afford to pay an extra quarter for the same bag of crap.

/---- Retired from full time work. Retired doesn't mean you sit around all day doing nothing. I'm now doing things I never had time to do when putting in 50 hours a week.Sorry I forgot you went to public school. In the future I'll dumb things down for you.

/---- Retired from full time work. Retired doesn't mean you sit around all day doing nothing. I'm now doing things I never had time to do when putting in 50 hours a week.Sorry I forgot you went to public school. In the future I'll dumb things down for you.
What does public school have to do with your inability to decipher what is retired and what is semi-retired with a bitch boi attitude?

More on this...

Big deal cheap ass. You can't afford $3 more for your dinner?

/---- I'm retired, a published author with ever increasing royalty payments, rental property owner, Continuing Education instructor, work part time for the Board of Elections and a short term option trader. I have no plans on working at a fast food restaurant unless I open one up. I won't because I'd have to hire bone head millenniums with useless college majors like Woman Studies and try to motivate them to show up and put in a days
work. No thank you.
Of course you are. Then you don't mind paying more for fast food, if you eat it.
/--- I live in the epicurean center of the world - New York. There are so many great restaurant choices I haven't eaten fast food since the 1970s when it was all I could afford while putting myself through college. BTW I earned minimum wage as a teenager with no job skills or experience. Once I built up my resume I moved on to better paying jobs. Why can't you Libtards do the same thing?

When something is inevitable, as this is, maybe looking for a silver lining isn't a bad idea.

So, for example, a net increase in the cost of various goods may mean that we'll see fewer stuff-your-face, all-you-can-eat food troughs; we'll buy two higher-quality shirts at the store instead of eight made in China; we'll find a way to survive watching teevee on a 42-inch screen instead of a 60-inch screen; we'll manage to make it to work in a regular car instead of a Hummer™; on and on.

Maybe such an environment will cause us to re-examine what we think really makes us happy.

Just a thought, to maybe help folks avoid a stroke.

Last edited:

/---- I'm retired, a published author with ever increasing royalty payments, rental property owner, Continuing Education instructor, work part time for the Board of Elections and a short term option trader. I have no plans on working at a fast food restaurant unless I open one up. I won't because I'd have to hire bone head millenniums with useless college majors like Woman Studies and try to motivate them to show up and put in a days
work. No thank you.
/--- I live in the epicurean center of the world - New York. There are so many great restaurant choices I haven't eaten fast food since the 1970s when it was all I could afford while putting myself through college. BTW I earned minimum wage as a teenager with no job skills or experience. Once I built up my resume I moved on to better paying jobs. Why can't you Libtards do the same thing?
This libtard did the same, so you was a writer of ignorance and biased myopic tendencies? Because that is all we see you writing...

What does public school have to do with your inability to decipher what is retired and what is semi-retired with a bitch boi attitude?
/---- Oh give me a break. Retired / Semi Retired? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA To quote your personal hero: "What difference at this point - what difference does it make?" BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Arizona's minimum wage is 10 bucks an hour, which makes it equal to the minimum wage in 1968, adjusted for inflation. Did restaurants back then need to denigrate their workers by putting a 'labor surcharge' on the bill?

When something is inevitable, as this is, maybe looking for a silver lining isn't a bad idea.

So, for example, a net increase in the cost of various goods may mean that we'll see fewer stuff-your-face, all-you-can-eat food troughs; we'll buy two higher-quality shirts at the store instead of eight made in China; we'll find a way to survive watching teevee on a 42-inch screen instead of a 60-inch screen; we'll manage to make it to work in a regular car instead of a Hummer™; on and on.

Maybe such an environment will cause us to revise what we think really makes us happy.

Just a thought, to maybe help folks avoid a stroke.
I gave up on materialistic adventurism in the 1990's....I don't even watch TV anymore..

work. No thank you.
This libtard did the same, so you was a writer of ignorance and biased myopic tendencies? Because that is all we see you writing...
/---- "so you was a writer" Got Public School??? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
so you was a writer
so you was a writer
so you was a writer
so you was a writer
so you was a writer

Jeez you talk like you're the first last and only person ever to have had a job.

Forum List

Back