Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

Restaurant diners are footing the bill for rising minimum wages.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

Wendy's installing self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 restaurants
US retail sales rise in January, led by gas and restaurants
What does 'A Day Without a Woman' mean for restaurants?
“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.
Yep and as the price of a product rises the demand for that product will fall. When you squeeze a balloon, it bulges out somewhere else.
I don't see the world stopping and deciding to quit...

Sounds like you Republicans have changed all of the sudden. You talked so nicely to get those unemployed people to vote for your side. You said you'd bring good jobs back so they could find work.

Now you're talking like 2007 Republicans who said if you weren't working you're a loser and its your fault. Welcome back. I knew you didn't have a lot of respect for American workers.
I haven't heard the evil Republicans make your argument, but I don't watch political cartoon shows. Minimum wage jobs are the good jobs you think the evil Republicans meant? Of course any raises, artificial or not result in higher end prices.

I don't eat out so they can add $50 in fees to the tab. But the higher costs go the less the demand will be. Bottom line is if you open a business it should be up to you if you go out of business or not, not the do gooders in government.
The guy said people with college degrees would be his waiters.

These are exactly the people promised better jobs. All the unemployed people with degrees or experience but they can't find work in their field of study so they are forced to wait tables.

Yes, of course you don't remember your empty promises
there never has been much demand for degrees in stupid shit like women's studies

Sounds like you Republicans have changed all of the sudden. You talked so nicely to get those unemployed people to vote for your side. You said you'd bring good jobs back so they could find work.

Now you're talking like 2007 Republicans who said if you weren't working you're a loser and its your fault. Welcome back. I knew you didn't have a lot of respect for American workers.
I haven't heard the evil Republicans make your argument, but I don't watch political cartoon shows. Minimum wage jobs are the good jobs you think the evil Republicans meant? Of course any raises, artificial or not result in higher end prices.

I don't eat out so they can add $50 in fees to the tab. But the higher costs go the less the demand will be. Bottom line is if you open a business it should be up to you if you go out of business or not, not the do gooders in government.

These are exactly the people promised better jobs. All the unemployed people with degrees or experience but they can't find work in their field of study so they are forced to wait tables.

All we need is to elect a republican and play trickle down economics to increase wages..

BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.

So? If you can afford to overpay for a bagful of crap now, you can certainly afford to pay an extra quarter for the same bag of crap.
Your logic is stunning.

More on this...

Yep and as the price of a product rises the demand for that product will fall. When you squeeze a balloon, it bulges out somewhere else.
Me either. I also don't see cause and effect stopping either.

All we need is to elect a republican and play trickle down economics to increase wages..
Or we could embrace progressive policies where they don't mind the poor being poorer as long as the rich are less rich.

More on this...

So? If you can afford to overpay for a bagful of crap now, you can certainly afford to pay an extra quarter for the same bag of crap.
Your logic is stunning.

You want someone to prepare a meal for you, you pay for the price of the preparation. If you can't afford it,

go to the grocery store.

More on this...

Your logic is stunning.

You want someone to prepare a meal for you, you pay for the price of the preparation. If you can't afford it,

go to the grocery store.
Is that what you think this is about? Really?

More on this...

Your logic is stunning.

go to the grocery store.

What would it be about?

More on this...

Your logic is stunning.

go to the grocery store.

What would it be about?
Managed markets, government interference with free markets, etc. It hasn't shown to work in the past. There will always be unintended consequences. It is unavoidable.

More on this...

Competition will quickly blow that kind of bassakwards thinking out of the water.

More on this...

Me either. I also don't see cause and effect stopping either.
Humans continue no matter who is running the functions of government..

image.jpeg

Who promised what? You speak nonsense to fictitious characters and post them here. You don't need me for that.

More on this...

Competition will quickly blow that kind of bassakwards thinking out of the water.
What is backwards about covering your operating costs?

More on this...

Do they add a food surcharge when the price of hamburger goes up?
Do they add a rent surcharge when their rent is increased?

How about an executive pay surcharge?

More on this...

Do they add a food surcharge when the price of hamburger goes up?
Do they add a rent surcharge when their rent is increased?

How about an executive pay surcharge?

when the price of ingredients go up they raise the price of the finished product they just don't call it a surcharge

it's a distinction without a difference

Forum List

Back