Response to Bill Nye the intolerant science guy

Well see, that's your own intolerance being expressed. You can't have it both ways. If you're gonna force your agendas on others, you have to accept that others will want to do the same.

If someone tries to teach my child that the earth is 4,000 years old, I want that suppressed. Not because I'm intolerant, but because it's a lie.

I think you mean 6,000 years.

Any claim that measures the life of Earth in 4 digits is a lie. I can't be bothered with more details than that:lol:

Have people always been this brainless?

I mean, yes, of course,we have always had people who thought it made sense to sacrifice virgins or children so the gods would bless them with fruitful crops. And, I read that fully half the world's population of the 20th century will never make of receive a telephone call. When it comes to education, I give those people a pass.

But, check out this elected official in deepest darkest dumbest Arizona -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzJhTfQiMA]Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old. - YouTube[/ame]

Bill Nye is a voice in the wilderness.

I've never understood the anti-science movement.

I think the basic cause of it is that if you have science, you don't need God.

If you don't need God, you really can't go around guilting people into feeling bad about mundane stuff like masturbating.

Masturbating is not a sin. Masturbation is not in the Bible anywhere.
It is a Man made sin.

"And Onan knew that the seed would not be his; and it came to pass when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest he should give seed to his brother, And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of the LORD; and He slew him also."

- Genesis 38:9-10

People have been forcing schools to teach all sorts of things for many years. That's what that intolerance thing is all about. You want to force others to accept your agenda, while at the same time complaining about others doing the same thing. I see nothing wrong with a school deciding to include this in their curriculum. Presenting many differing views and beliefs is a good thing. That's tolerance

I agree, children should be presented different views and theories. However I think you have to have some basis in fact in order to include it.

Well see, that's your own intolerance being expressed. You can't have it both ways. If you're gonna force your agendas on others, you have to accept that others will want to do the same.

Except it's not an "agenda". Same reason we don't let kids pick where 1+1=2 or 1+1=11.

If you don't need God, you really can't go around guilting people into feeling bad about mundane stuff like masturbating.

It is a Man made sin.

"And Onan knew that the seed would not be his; and it came to pass when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest he should give seed to his brother, And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of the LORD; and He slew him also."

I think that was more a condemnation of birth control than masturbation...

Now what I find interesting is later in that same story, Onan's father Judah, the ancestor of the Jews, was tricked by Tamar (the wife of his two deceased sons, Onan and Er, both of whom God killed) into having sex with her by dressing as a hooker. And when she got pregnant with twins, Judah was going to have her executed... until she pulled a Maury Povich and revealed he was the father.

One of those sons because the ancestor of King David and Jesus.

Your OP is barney-like. There's nothing intolerant about what Bill Nye said. Theology doesn't belong in the science classroom.

If it wasn't for church sponsored education, we would still be living in the Dark Ages.

Your OP is barney-like. There's nothing intolerant about what Bill Nye said. Theology doesn't belong in the science classroom.

If it wasn't for church sponsored education, we would still be living in the Dark Ages.

Actually, the Church caused the Dark Ages...

Before Christianity, there was a much wider spread of knowledge and science.

The Dark Ages were the first "Faith Based Iniative".

It is a Man made sin.

Who cares?

Actually, I know that some people DO care but that's not MY business or MY problem.

I live in the 21st century and just don't give a flip about what "Christians" believe. since I live in the United States, I not only expect the same from them, I DEMAND it.

SickSantorum, Ryan and other sickos want sharia law and they are welcome to it. Just not in MY United States.

"Church sponsored education" is NOT education. And, it is the personification, the very definition of the Dark Ages.

You're welcome to it but, the pubs/pots have not taken over yet so we do still have the First Amendment so keep it in your tax-supported churches.

OMG all the carnards are coming out. I seriously doubt there can ever be an honest discussion on this board.

Not with idiots that try to argue against billions of years of geological evidence. From the geology to the very DNA in the nucleus of every cell in your body, the evidence that evolution occured and is stll occuring is unequivical.

People have been forcing schools to teach all sorts of things for many years. That's what that intolerance thing is all about. You want to force others to accept your agenda, while at the same time complaining about others doing the same thing. I see nothing wrong with a school deciding to include this in their curriculum. Presenting many differing views and beliefs is a good thing. That's tolerance

I agree, children should be presented different views and theories. However I think you have to have some basis in fact in order to include it.

Science demands evidence. You want to teach mythology, teach it under the title of mythology, not science.

And, yes, I am very intolerant of obvious nonsense being taught in a science class. Evolution is the most robust of the scientific theories. The proof is in billions of years worth of fossils, in the very DNA in all of our cells.

You want Creationism taught, teach it in sunday school, not science classes.

OMG all the carnards are coming out. I seriously doubt there can ever be an honest discussion on this board.

Not with idiots that try to argue against billions of years of geological evidence. From the geology to the very DNA in the nucleus of every cell in your body, the evidence that evolution occured and is stll occuring is unequivical.

Serious comment even though this just cries out for sarcasm ...

it is truly scary that the R wants to return us to the Dark Ages.

I'll say it again - You are all more than welcome to be ignorant, uneducated and just plain stupid about religion, spooks, things that go bump in the night but won't you please keep it in the buildings that are set aside for superstition, magic water and magic smoke and ghost stories?

They're called "churches".

They belong to you and no one wants them except you.

Yeah, I know - you want sharia law. You want to be able to peek in our windows and punish us for things YOU believe are wrong.

Fine.

Just take it someplace else.

Take it out of the United States and back where it belongs.

Thanks and Good Riddance.

Einstein used to get upset when people would use his theories to discredit god.

Eh.. Found the quote:

In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

— Prince Hubertus zu Löwenstein, Towards the Further Shore (Victor Gollancz, London, 1968), p. 156; quoted in Jammer, p. 97

Dunno... I met Bill and talked with him several times. He didn't mention Einstein.
I'm sure he didn't mention the scientists in that video either. The point was you can be scientist and still believe in religion. Unless of course you don't believe Einstein was a scientist.

"Religion" and "God" aren't the same thing. Albert Einstein wasn't religious at all.

He believed in the God of Spinoza, not the Bible.

Dunno... I met Bill and talked with him several times. He didn't mention Einstein.
I'm sure he didn't mention the scientists in that video either. The point was you can be scientist and still believe in religion. Unless of course you don't believe Einstein was a scientist.

"Religion" and "God" aren't the same thing. Albert Einstein wasn't religious at all.

He believed in the God of Spinoza, not the Bible.
I concede the point.

Do Muslim's allow their children to be taught anything outside of their religion? They don't even want their children to learn about the Holocaust. Just asking if anyone knows. Funny they don't get picked on by the left the same way Christians do and I'm interested to understand why.

As far as the big bang theory, etc., nothing is proven so maybe they could leave that one alone for now and focus more on teaching children to read and write. Let the parents handle anything outside of the basic skills. I don't like how schools have taken on the responsibilities of parents. Stick to the basics. It does no good for a child to learn liberal ideas when they can't read or write very well.

Last edited:

Do Muslim's allow their children to be taught anything outside of their religion? They don't even want their children to learn about the Holocaust. Just asking if anyone knows. Funny they don't get picked on by the left the same way Christians do and I'm interested to understand why.

Are you being serious?

Besides, why the hell do you care what people in other countries do and don't teach their kids?

holitech-broad-brush-probe.jpg

As far as the big bang theory, etc., nothing is proven so maybe they could leave that one alone for now and focus more on teaching children to read and write.

And what does the big bang have to do with evolution?

Let the parents handle anything outside of the basic skills. I don't like how schools have taken on the responsibilities of parents. Stick to the basics.

Everything except basic science. :eusa_eh:

It does no good for a child to learn liberal ideas when they can't read or write very well.

What are you babbling about?

It is a Man made sin.

Who cares?

Actually, I know that some people DO care but that's not MY business or MY problem.

I live in the 21st century and just don't give a flip about what "Christians" believe. since I live in the United States, I not only expect the same from them, I DEMAND it.

SickSantorum, Ryan and other sickos want sharia law and they are welcome to it. Just not in MY United States.

"Church sponsored education" is NOT education. And, it is the personification, the very definition of the Dark Ages.

You're welcome to it but, the pubs/pots have not taken over yet so we do still have the First Amendment so keep it in your tax-supported churches.

Your ignorance is astounding.

That's how I know you were educated in a public school, and not a quality Catholic one.

Actually the Catholic schools are pretty damned good. However, there are evangelical schools that are an abomination to send a child to. No education there, propaganda worthy of the old Soviet Union.

Forum List

Back