Respect the office if not the office-holder?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I've heard this said by people here as well as by radio talk show hosts:

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

I have utmost respect for the Office of President... I've rarely respected the individual that holds that office.

The office represents this country, so I respect that. But, the President - any President - would do well to remember that he serves us, not the other way around. Most of them forget that by Jan 21st.

You respect the office for the same reason you would respect any part of the constitution.

A couple of pretty decent answers, but I don't agree 100%.

I'm not crazy about the idea that the office of the President represents this country, mostly because of the people holding it I guess.

The Constitution allows for the office but it really isn't a part of the constitution. I respect the Constitution because it's such an amazing document, but the office of the President? It's the office of a public servant.

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

Yes. You should respect everyone; people should have to earn your disrespect.

You're exposing symptom number one of why the world is so fucked up.

My question is; Why?

Please read the OP again. Thanks.

My question is; Why?

Yes. Perhaps not "reverence", but certainly respect.

Do you think that George Washington didn't expect "respect" for his office?

My question is; Why?

Please read the OP again. Thanks.

No need. You should respect everyone you meet until they earn your disrespect. If you can't figure out why; there is little hope I can explain such a primal and basic human element to you at this late stage of your life.:confused:

The President is the elected head of state. Such an office commands respect.

Apart from that, one should respect any person unless they prove undeserving of it.

20 years of military brainwashing takes its toll. The President, regardless of who hold the office, is the Commander in Chief. Respect is required...or at least it used to be.

The military message board I used to post on used to have a rule against personally attacking the CinC...until President Obama got elected, then they suspended the rule. Funny that...

The office holder has so corrupted his office that it is impossible. Mr Obama has an ego the size of Michael Moore's @ss. One blogger commented is Donald Verilli that bad a lawyer, or are the cases Obama is ordering Verilli to argue that bad?
Enforcing EPA regulations by "Crucifying the first five citizens you come to a la the Roman Army"?
Mandating no chores for the children of farm families?

Last edited:
If we TRULY respected the office of the president, obama would surely not hold that office.

Forum List

Back