Respect the office if not the office-holder?

I've heard this said by people here as well as by radio talk show hosts:

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

Yes. Perhaps not "reverence", but certainly respect.

Do you think that George Washington didn't expect "respect" for his office?

I wouldn't know what George felt. That said, I think I read some where that he didn't want the job.

Yes. You should respect everyone; people should have to earn your disrespect.

You're exposing symptom number one of why the world is so fucked up.

Please read the OP again. Thanks.

No need. You should respect everyone you meet until they earn your disrespect. If you can't figure out why; there is little hope I can explain such a primal and basic human element to you at this late stage of your life.:confused:

You should have read it, because you totally missed the point.

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know why.

20 years of military brainwashing takes its toll. The President, regardless of who hold the office, is the Commander in Chief. Respect is required...or at least it used to be.

The military message board I used to post on used to have a rule against personally attacking the CinC...until President Obama got elected, then they suspended the rule. Funny that...

When I was in the military, both the man and the office would have had my respect. Now, they don't.

My question is; Why?

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know why.

And it doesn't surprise me that you don't either.

Respect the office really means to keep the lines of civility open. That requires both the citizen and President to be respectful.

Please read the OP again. Thanks.

No need. You should respect everyone you meet until they earn your disrespect. If you can't figure out why; there is little hope I can explain such a primal and basic human element to you at this late stage of your life.:confused:

If that isn't your point, there is no need to read it. Seriously, you are this void of life purpose?

I do not respect Obama. Obama is a Marxist. I do not respect Marxists.

Fuck Obama. Fuck Marxism. Fuck all Marxists.

Simple as that!

My question is; Why?

I think he believed respect should go to a person, not an office.

My question is; Why?

I think he believed respect should go to a person, not an office.

What do you base that "thought" on?

If that isn't your point, there is no need to read it. Seriously, you are this void of life purpose?

Not only are you an idiot, you are stubbornly insisting on remaining one.

Thanks for playing.

20 years of military brainwashing takes its toll. The President, regardless of who hold the office, is the Commander in Chief. Respect is required...or at least it used to be.

The military message board I used to post on used to have a rule against personally attacking the CinC...until President Obama got elected, then they suspended the rule. Funny that...

When I was in the military, both the man and the office would have had my respect. Now, they don't.

The reason people respect the office is because that office represents us.. 'we, the People'. The person, not so much.

Forum List

Back