Respect the office if not the office-holder?

The respect is afforded for the fact that the person who earns that office is the duly elected leader of this nation. Chosen by the people to hold that office. The fact that we have such a process.....one that results in a person being elected President.......is what we respect.

Barack Hussein Obama is YOUR President. You ought to respect him as such. Disagree as you see fit.....but do so with respect. Simple.

You should have read it, because you totally missed the point.

If that isn't your point, there is no need to read it. Seriously, you are this void of life purpose?

Not only are you an idiot, you are stubbornly insisting on remaining one.

Thanks for playing.

Considering the source, I'll take that as a high compliment :lol: PS: You've expanded my forecast of just how large the void in your life likely is.

I've heard this said by people here as well as by radio talk show hosts:

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?
Can we get a president that respects the office that he holds? This one obviously doesn't get it.

The respect is afforded for the fact that the person who earns that office is the duly elected leader of this nation. Chosen by the people to hold that office. The fact that we have such a process.....one that results in a person being elected President.......is what we respect.

Barack Hussein Obama is YOUR President. You ought to respect him as such. Disagree as you see fit.....but do so with respect. Simple.

..and to operate within the confines of the law and under the same. Otherwise he commits high crimes and should be subject to the full measure of the law.

20 years of military brainwashing takes its toll. The President, regardless of who hold the office, is the Commander in Chief. Respect is required...or at least it used to be.

The military message board I used to post on used to have a rule against personally attacking the CinC...until President Obama got elected, then they suspended the rule. Funny that...

When I was in the military, both the man and the office would have had my respect. Now, they don't.

The reason people respect the office is because that office represents us.. 'we, the People'. The person, not so much.

Thanks, this is probably the closest think to a logical reason.

this thread is about why should the office be respected. It isn't about the person whio holds it. Hussein Obama gets not one bit of respect from me. Respect is earned and he has only earned contempt.

When the office holder makes a point of disrespecting the office he holds, he will set by example, disrespect for the office.

yes, respect for the office is I think prudent.

It's too damn bad Bill Clinton didn't respect that office innit? I think that's where everyone's respect for the most powerful position in the world took a downhill slide and hasn't recovered yet, so in that sense, my respect for the office is directly related to who is in it.

I would imagine that there are some here who do not feel any need to respect the office of the Presidency. We have had some real losers occupy that office and after awhile, you do get to the point that it is difficult (LBJ, Nixon, Carter). However, not only do I respect the office of the Presidency, but even with a 10% approval rating, I still respect the Congress and really all of the other branches of this government.

I believe that it stems from the same thing that makes me stand when the flag passes by. Or when I'm in an airport, to buy a returning service member a meal. When I see the Marine Corp silent drill team, I stand a little taller. And when I walk through Arlington I know in my heart that the words of Genisis ring true for that place: "... the ground on which you walk is holy ground."

When Ronald Reagan died the hearse carrying his coffin drove it to Simi Valley and his final resting place. As the hearse made its way along the freeway every car pulled over, the people got out and stood as it passed. At first the police intended to ticket these cars unlawfully stopping on the freeway, then as it became apparent that it was going to be ALL cars, they stopped trying to punish Americans from showing their respect like this.

That was the last president to have respect of both man and office. Democrats will never permit it to happen again.

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

I, too, have wondered often about the difference and found it makes no sense to my way of thinking. To me, the office of the presidency IS THE resident holding the title....

It's common courtesy but it seems that democrats lack the gene. Reagan respected the office so much that he never took off his suit coat in the Oval Office. Clinton took off his pants. That about sums it up.

It's common courtesy but it seems that democrats lack the gene. Reagan respected the office so much that he never took off his suit coat in the Oval Office. Clinton took off his pants. That about sums it up.

Bush didn't either. He always wore a suit and tie because the office deserved that kind of respect.

obama respects the office like he respected the people who elected him to that office. Which means, contempt for both.

I would imagine that there are some here who do not feel any need to respect the office of the Presidency. We have had some real losers occupy that office and after awhile, you do get to the point that it is difficult (LBJ, Nixon, Carter). However, not only do I respect the office of the Presidency, but even with a 10% approval rating, I still respect the Congress and really all of the other branches of this government.

I believe that it stems from the same thing that makes me stand when the flag passes by. Or when I'm in an airport, to buy a returning service member a meal. When I see the Marine Corp silent drill team, I stand a little taller. And when I walk through Arlington I know in my heart that the words of Genisis ring true for that place: "... the ground on which you walk is holy ground."

I feel somewhat the same way. That said i do not automatyically respect the office of the president nor do I automatically respect any other political office. I honestly don't feel that that was the intent of the founders when they set it up. Government is a necessary evil, and tyhe offices of that government are also necessary evils. They are public servants and in my mind are to be treated like servants. not automatically disrespected, but not respected to any lofty position. Any citizen of this country is more important and deserving of more respect than a public servant. IMO.

That said, Arlington is not a public office, nor is the flag, nor are the military.

My question is; Why?

I, too, have wondered often about the difference and found it makes no sense to my way of thinking. To me, the office of the presidency IS THE resident holding the title....

I too struggle to understand the difference, hence this thread.

I respect the office because it is the highest office in the land. I respect the holder because my fellow Americans voted him into said office. I still believe America is the leader of the free world so yes. Regardless of who holds said office, I will respect them as the leader of the free world.

My question is; Why?

Its called manners and it seems you lack them.

:wtf:

Not talking about Obama, asking why should the office be respected.

Do you have anything intelligent to offer?

Forum List

Back