Republican Governor Bobby Jidnal approves taxpayer dollars to go to religious schools

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
Louisiana Republican: When I Voted for State Funds to go to Religious Schools, I Didn’t Mean Muslim Ones

Louisiana Republican: When I Voted for State Funds to go to Religious Schools, I Didn’t Mean Muslim Ones

In Louisiana, Republican Governor Bobby Jindal pushed for a voucher program that would allow state funds to be used to pay for religious schools. It’s unconstitutional, it’s a way to use taxpayer money to fund someone’s faith, and it was a bad idea to begin with.

But it passed.

Now, one of the state legislators, Rep. Valarie Hodges (R-Watson), just made a shocking discovery, though: Christianity isn’t the only religion!

Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools.

“I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools,” the District 64 Representative said Monday.

…

“Unfortunately it will not be limited to the Founders’ religion,” Hodges said. “We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.”

Wait, we’re teaching the “Founders’ religion”? I can’t wait to see those Deistic schools popping up everywhere…

I can’t decide whether the staffers at Americans United are collectively rolling their eyes or shaking their heads in disbelief, but they’re right to suggest “We told you so”:
Where to begin? Hodges’ bigotry is perhaps only rivaled by her ignorance of constitutional and legal principles. Of course Muslim schools will qualify for funding under a voucher plan. When programs like this are set up that dole out benefits to religious schools, the government can’t play favorites. That’s basic.

…

Some legislators aren’t comfortable funding Muslim schools. What’s to be done? How about not establishing these programs in the first place? Let Muslims fund Muslim schools. Let Catholics fund Catholics ones. Let fundamentalist Protestants pay for the conservative Christian academies and so on.

Rep. Hodges made the mistake of saying out loud what most conservative Christians only say to themselves to private: When they say they want “religious freedom,” they’re only referring to their own faith. Everyone else can fend for themselves.

Message to Rep. Hodges: Your Christian privilege is showing.

First off, it's unconstitutional...second.....even if it wasn't, Hodge's complaint is.

Believe me, I have no problem with religion. I am a Christian myself. However, when you have taxpayers of all different types of religions(or none at all) paying for these vouchers, that is the equivalent of taxation without representation....which is what we fought a major war over some 230 years ago. Jindal stepped over the line.

First off, it's unconstitutional...second.....even if it wasn't, Hodge's complaint is.

Believe me, I have no problem with religion. I am a Christian myself. However, when you have taxpayers of all different types of religions(or none at all) paying for these vouchers, that is the equivalent of taxation without representation....which is what we fought a major war over some 230 years ago. Jindal stepped over the line.

agreed... and the reason that jindal is so bent out of shape is the reason that no religion can be fostered by the state....

i guess his unconstitutional action backfired on him.

Perhaps I am unclear on the concept of school vouchers. My understanding is that the voucher is a dollar amount equal to the portion of the tax dollars an individual pays that goes to public schools. So, if an individual pays $5K in property taxes and $2K of that amount goes to public schools, a person's voucher is $2K for any school of their choice.

My understanding is that it is like a refund for services not used, but that refund must be used on schooling.

So, how is this using the PUBLIC'S money on a private school involving religion?

Perhaps I am unclear on the concept of school vouchers. My understanding is that the voucher is a dollar amount equal to the portion of the tax dollars an individual pays that goes to public schools. So, if an individual pays $5K in property taxes and $2K of that amount goes to public schools, a person's voucher is $2K for any school of their choice.

My understanding is that it is like a refund for services not used, but that refund must be used on schooling.

So, how is this using the PUBLIC'S money on a private school involving religion?

I believe you are correct.

It has nothing to do with religion.

Well, my point is more about the question of this being the PUBLIC'S money. (Religion is definitely involved.)

If my understanding of vouchers is correct (and I am not sure it is or isn't), then I find it difficult to see how this is the public's money. It's an individual's money, and if that individual chooses to use it to send his/her child to a Muslim school, that is the individual's right.

Last edited:

Well, my point is more about the question of this being the PUBLIC'S money. (Religion is definitely involved.)

If my understanding of vouchers is correct (and I am not sure it is or isn't), then I find it difficult to see how this is the public's money. It's an individual's money, and if that individual chooses to use it to send his/her child to a Muslim school, that is the individual's right.

From the 'constitutional' perspective which is being argued, it is private school vs. public school, with the voucher systems giving choice. Not all private schools are religious schools.

agreed... and the reason that jindal is so bent out of shape is the reason that no religion can be fostered by the state....

Yes, it figures a bigot like you would object to anybody but rich people like the Clintons or Obamas being allowed to choose what school to send their children to.

First: the Supreme Court has already ruled it constitutional. Second: If someone is collecting Social Security, should they be barred from putting any money in the collection plate?

Liberals really are stupid when they start trying to justify their nefarious social engineering schemes.

Last edited:
What goes around comes around. This is the sort of convoluted reasoning that got us paying for private school books and transportation. It is merely the end result.

These are the same folks who bitch about calling something a Tax or a penalty.

Any way you look at it this takes from the public school and gives to the private. Logically this would include not only Muslims but Wiccans and any other cult that happens to be around.

It will be interesting to see how this is contained, how ultimately these "vouchers" will be limited. Maybe it is simply anti school tax plan. I look for the state to begin the equivilent of licensing. (Muslim? No license for you!) One thing is for sure once public money is available the price of these private schools will go up.

Once again, Mississippi leafs the way!!!! The bright side? There is nowhere for them to go but up.

What goes around comes around. This is the sort of convoluted reasoning that got us paying for private school books and transportation. It is merely the end result.

Any way you look at it this takes from the public school and gives to the private. Logically this would include not only Muslims but Wiccans and any other cult that happens to be around.

It will be interesting to see how this is contained, how ultimately these "vouchers" will be limited. Maybe it is simply anti school tax plan. I look for the state to begin the equivilent of licensing. (Muslim? No license for you!) One thing is for sure once public money is available the price of these private schools will go up.

Once again, Mississippi leafs the way!!!! The bright side? There is nowhere for them to go but up.

Any way you look at it this takes from the public school and gives to the private.

:lol: Maybe you could have the staff keep cheating for the students.

Second it does not take away money from public schiools. Those education dollars shoul;d follow the students not the unions.

Your idea would have validity if all the money being given out for vouchers came from those with children in school. I don't know how Mississippi operates (who does?) but in the real world schools are funded by the entire taxpaying population. That includes the old, and the childless.

All my children are grown. Were I in Mississippi I would be really pissed with my tax money going to Muslims, Catholics or the latest fad in commercial schools.

That's the rub! Take away the taxes of those with no kids in school and the whole financial structure changes!

democrats hate the voucher program for one reason only and that is they cannot funnel the ppublic funds to the teachers unions.

Yes, it figures a bigot like you would object to anybody but rich people like the Clintons or Obamas being allowed to choose what school to send their children to.

I am a strong believer in school choice. Schools...public schools....should be able to CHOOSE the students they take and keep, just like private schools.

Any way you look at it this takes from the public school and gives to the private.

:lol: Maybe you could have the staff keep cheating for the students.

Second it does not take away money from public schiools. Those education dollars shoul;d follow the students not the unions.

You actually think that these vouchers will be in ADDITION TO normal school funds? This is a means to separate tax money from public schools, to eliminate the so called "double taxation" for private schools. Barring an increase in taxation public school money will be reduced dollar for dollar for every voucher going to a private school.

let's see, Bush W educated in private schools with a silver spoon in his mouth. But he was only a C student. I guess the educational value of private versus public is not that much.

You're not a Christian. You're a shithead.

You're for taxpayer dollars going to Jewish-controlled public schools but you're against taxpayer dollars paying for education at the school of the student's choice, even if it saves taxpayer money.

What's the "taxation without representation" comment about? Just to prove that you're a full retard?

You're not a Christian. You're a shithead.

You're for taxpayer dollars going to Jewish-controlled public schools but you're against taxpayer dollars paying for education at the school of the student's choice, even if it saves taxpayer money.

What's the "taxation without representation" comment about? Just to prove that you're a full retard?

Whatever this does or does not do it will not save money. Private schools now tend to be cheaper because there is not enough money in the mix.

Turn loose vouchers and that will change. Private schools should expand they will require more teachers, more facilities, more of everything and they will have to bid on the supply.

No longer will they be depending on just the teachers who cannot get a "real" job.

Forum List

Back