Religion and the greatest story ever told..

Who was Jesus Christ?

• A lunatic/madman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A healer/teacher, but not divine

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Son of God, performed real miracles etc

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • He didn't exist

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Helios

Jan 27, 2008
"The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the Sun, in which they put a man whom they call Christ, in the place of the Sun, and pay him the same adoration which was originally paid to the Sun."
—Thomas Paine (Anglo-American revolutionary and writer, 1737-1809)

The following describes only my personal opinion, based on the information I have seen, as well as essays by professors of mine.

The very idea of Religion is hilarious to me, and George Carlin concurs:

When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

These are astronomical facts, not theories.

Whether you care to believe it or not, all modern religion originated from Pagan sun-worship.

Christianity, as well as probably most other major world religions, is based on astronomy, not on reality. This can be concluded by anyone given the relevant facts. Most notably, on Dec. 25th, the three brightest stars in Orion's belt called the "Three Kings" by ancient tradition line up and point to Sirius (the star in the East), which in turn forms a direct line to the rising sun that day. The sun occupies it's lowest point of the year on Dec. 23rd, and 24th (figuratively the "Death of the Sun") and begins to "rise again" on Dec. 25th. Hence, the death and resurrection of the "Son of God." There are countless other astronomical similarities, which I wont point out in the interest of time.

To further religion's obvious base in astronomy, the myth of the Egyptian sun-god Horus was conceived thousands of years before Jesus was ever said to be born. Wouldn't you say the details of his life bear a striking resemblance to Jesus' life? Before they are mentioned, I can handily discredit the 4 historians who have ever made a claim to Jesus' existence, so don't even bring them up.

• Horus was born of a virgin, Jesus was born of a virgin
  • Horus' mother: Meri, Jesus' mother: Mary
  • Horus' father: Seb, Jesus' father: Joseph
  • Horus is of royal ancestry, Jesus is of royal ancestry
  • Horus born in a shed, Jesus born in a stable
  • Horus' birth heralded by the Sirius, Jesus' birth heralded by Sirius
  • Horus' birth announced by angel, Jesus' birth announced by an angel
  • Horus' birth witnessed by shepherds, Jesus' birth witnessed by shepherds
  • During infancy, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. During infancy Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
  • Horus' life has a gap from age 12-30, Jesus' life has a gap from age 12-30
  • Horus baptized at age 30, Jesus was baptized at age 30
  • Horus had 12 followers, Jesus had 12 disciples
  • Horus raised Osirus from the grave, Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave
  • Horus gave a famous "sermon at the mount", Jesus gave the same sermon.
  • Horus died of crucifixion, Jesus died of crucifixion
  • Horus died beside 2 thieves, Jesus died beside 2 thieves
  • Horus was dead 3 days, resurrected, Jesus was dead 3 days, resurrected.

The list goes on... but in the interest of practicality, I will cut myself short. Basically, Jesus is but a plagiarized version of Horus, as are hundreds of other mythological figures.

Christianity acquired it's current berth of rhetoric at the Council of Nicea, in which Constantine and 301 bishops from throughout the land came together in the wonderful pursuit of coming up with a pertinent way of controlling the masses.

On The Council of Nicea:
It was the political establishment that sought to historize the Jesus figure for social control. By 325 a.d. in Rome, emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicea. It was during this meeting that the politically motivated Christian Doctrines were established and thus began a long history of Christian bloodshed and spiritual fraud. And for the next 1600 years, the Vatican maintained a political stranglehold on all of Europe, leading to such joyous periods as the Dark Ages, along with enlightening events such as the Crusades, and the Inquisition.

I believe that anyone who takes what they have been indoctrinated to believe utterly serious, is doomed to live out their life in ignorance and arrogance. The only true perspective is the perspective that is always changing. Keep that in mind while you flame this post.

I'll let the people at ZeitGeist conclude:
Christianity, along with all other theistic belief systems, is the fraud of the age. It served to detach the species from the natural world, and likewise, each other. It supports blind submission to authority. It reduces human responsibility to the effect that "God" controls everything, and in turn awful crimes can be justified in the name of Divine Pursuit. And most importantly, it empowers those who know the truth but use the myth to manipulate and control societies. The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish

• Horus was born of a virgin, Jesus was born of a virgin
  • Horus' mother: Meri, Jesus' mother: Mary
  • Horus' father: Seb, Jesus' father: Joseph
  • Horus is of royal ancestry, Jesus is of royal ancestry
  • Horus born in a shed, Jesus born in a stable
  • Horus' birth heralded by the Sirius, Jesus' birth heralded by Sirius
  • Horus' birth announced by angel, Jesus' birth announced by an angel
  • Horus' birth witnessed by shepherds, Jesus' birth witnessed by shepherds
  • During infancy, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. During infancy Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
  • Horus' life has a gap from age 12-30, Jesus' life has a gap from age 12-30
  • Horus baptized at age 30, Jesus was baptized at age 30
  • Horus had 12 followers, Jesus had 12 disciples
  • Horus raised Osirus from the grave, Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave
  • Horus gave a famous "sermon at the mount", Jesus gave the same sermon.
  • Horus died of crucifixion, Jesus died of crucifixion
  • Horus died beside 2 thieves, Jesus died beside 2 thieves
  • Horus was dead 3 days, resurrected, Jesus was dead 3 days, resurrected.

Those aren't all exactly true, though, Helios. Horus was born of Isis and fathered by Osiris. There is some disagreement as to whether Isis was impregnated by Osiris when he was actually dead, or whether he was brought back to life long enough to impregnate her. But it wasn't a virgin birth.

Isis did, though, also have the name Meri.

The number of followers of Horus varies. Some sources say 16, other do not give a number. The writing I've seen on it says there is no source that puts the number at 12.

The rest of it, near as I can tell, appears to be true. The Bible also contains a lot of Sumerian mythology.

One little thing dopey...

The life of Jesus is documented fact....It was recorded by the jews... the best record keepers in the history of the mankind...

im not sure that everything that is written is always true, dude...

If so, I'd better stop reading the Zombie Survival Guide..

George washington never actually chopped down the cherry tree, you know?

One little thing dopey...

The life of Jesus is documented fact....It was recorded by the jews... the best record keepers in the history of the mankind...

Well, there was a person recorded. He was an Essene. His name was Yeshua, not Jesus (which a name the Romans gave). Don't think we ever said he was the messiah. We're still waiting on that. :cool:

Well, there was a person recorded. He was an Essene. His name was Yeshua, not Jesus (which a name the Romans gave). Don't think we ever said he was the messiah. We're still waiting on that. :cool:

3 actual roman historians documented the life of Jesus, and they always referred to him as "Christus," "Christos," or "Christ" which means "Annointed One" and does not in any way prove Jesus' divine birth or anything else for that matter. They could have been talking about anyone... and what are the chances that someone actually relived Horus' life... exactly as it had been set in hieroglyphics 1000's of years before Jesus was born....?

The life of Christ has been researched and scrutinized more than any person that ever walked the planet since the day he died.... It is well documented and the records were kept by the Jews and Romans...

Idiots like helios think there is some doubt about his life and acts out of pure ignorance...

I put him on ignore... I have no time for uneducated clowns like him...

im not sure that everything that is written is always true, dude...

If so, I'd better stop reading the Zombie Survival Guide..

George washington never actually chopped down the cherry tree, you know?

You think not everything that is written is true? Well, I imagine if you believe the Bible is factually correct, your opinion on "truth" is rather useless in this matter. Wake up and stop reading Mein Kampf.

3 actual roman historians documented the life of Jesus, and they always referred to him as "Christus," "Christos," or "Christ" which means "Annointed One" and does not in any way prove Jesus' divine birth or anything else for that matter. They could have been talking about anyone... and what are the chances that someone actually relived Horus' life... exactly as it had been set in hieroglyphics 1000's of years before Jesus was born....?

You forgot the fact that Dec 25th is Mithras' birthday.

Listen, you don't have to sell me. I don't believe Jesus was divine. And I know what Christ means. Do I believe someone existed who was an Essene and a healer? Yes. That part is pretty well documented. Whether it's the same person, who knows? But it's not my belief system so I don't defend it or criticize it. People believe what they believe.

I can promise you, though, no Jew growing up in that time had a roman name. would have been more like Yeshua ben Yosef.

You forgot the fact that Dec 25th is Mithras' birthday.

Listen, you don't have to sell me. I don't believe Jesus was divine. And I know what Christ means. Do I believe someone existed who was an Essene and a healer? Yes. That part is pretty well documented. Whether it's the same person, who knows? But it's not my belief system so I don't defend it or criticize it. People believe what they believe.

I can promise you, though, no Jew growing up in that time had a roman name. would have been more like Yeshua ben Yosef.

I concur on all counts.

You think not everything that is written is true? Well, I imagine if you believe the Bible is factually correct, your opinion on "truth" is rather useless in this matter. Wake up and stop reading Mein Kampf.

You are barking up the wrong tree. You are new so I'll let you slide this one time.

You have basically summed up how I feel about religion too.

I reckon in about 1000 years there will be no religion as such...
I don't know about that Grump, we are spiritual beings byu nature. I think that in 1000 years we will reach an enlightened state and religion will become ethics...that is, if we don't kil each other first.

The life of Christ has been researched and scrutinized more than any person that ever walked the planet since the day he died.... It is well documented and the records were kept by the Jews and Romans...

Idiots like helios think there is some doubt about his life and acts out of pure ignorance...

I put him on ignore... I have no time for uneducated clowns like him...

Jesus was a historical figure. He existed. The stories about him are mostly false.

You are barking up the wrong tree. You are new so I'll let you slide this one time.

I may be new to this board, sir. But I am not new to ethics/religion/politics and society in America. Instead of your idiotic statement, how about critical analysis or a constructive comment? And my newness has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. Its the same drill with you people, divert from the evidence and try to distract people with personal attacks.

I don't know about that Grump, we are spiritual beings byu nature. I think that in 1000 years we will reach an enlightened state and religion will become ethics...that is, if we don't kil each other first.

What makes you think things are progressing FORWARD in matters of religion and ethics? If anything, we are taking gigantic leaps backward.

I may be new to this board, sir. But I am not new to ethics/religion/politics and society in America. Instead of your idiotic statement, how about critical analysis or a constructive comment? And my newness has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. Its the same drill with you people, divert from the evidence and try to distract people with personal attacks.

Actually, ya fucking genius, your "experience" in ethics/religion/politics and society say nothing about your lack of knowledge regarding the personal opinions of ANY user on ANY issue on this forum. I didn't even originally direct a single comment at you... which pretty much makes my post to a bible thumper criticizing his automatic blind assumptions about the validity of the bible sound about like something YOU would have posted too, eh? So much for your brainiac approach. Like I said, your new car smell is pretty obvious. You are like a child who stomps his foot and insists that he is old enough to shave but ends up slicing himself wide open. No one is quaking in their ISP now that you hve graced us with your presence. Believe it.

People like you are a widows mite a dozen. You waltz in pretending to be an expert, and in a wannabe grandiose fashion that is as impressive as pee-wee Hermans jock strap, start firing at the hip hoping you hit something relevant. Maybe if you stick around longer than it takes your ADDHD to flare up you'll figure out who is willing to think critically and who seems to think blustered grandstanding amounts to jack and shit.

Forum List

Back