Religion and the greatest story ever told..

Who was Jesus Christ?

• A lunatic/madman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A healer/teacher, but not divine

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Son of God, performed real miracles etc

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • He didn't exist

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I may be new to this board, sir. But I am not new to ethics/religion/politics and society in America. Instead of your idiotic statement, how about critical analysis or a constructive comment? And my newness has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. Its the same drill with you people, divert from the evidence and try to distract people with personal attacks.

You are new here. So much of what is posted evolves into gross leaps in logic followed my personal attacks. Still, it gets entertaining some times. Good luck. :cool:

I reckon in about 1000 years there will be no religion as such...

So long as we die there will be religion. Consciousness will always create solutions.

"It is that human capacity to be fully self-conscious that marks Homo sapiens as different from any other form of life in the natural world. That separating difference is what fills human beings with a sense of dread. Anxiety, says Paul Tillich, is born in the human recognition of finitude. It is therefore as omnipresent as humanity itself. To be human is to experience self-consciousness, to know separation, to be made aware of limits and to contemplate ends. One cannot be human, therefore, without being filled with chronic anxiety. It sounds depressing, but surely it is true." Bishop John Selby Spong

You think not everything that is written is true? Well, I imagine if you believe the Bible is factually correct, your opinion on "truth" is rather useless in this matter. Wake up and stop reading Mein Kampf.

The pot calling the kettle black. I imagine if you believe the Bible is factually incorrect in every way that your opinion on the matter is rather useless.

It is as worthy of consideration as any other historical document.

The pot calling the kettle black. I imagine if you believe the Bible is factually incorrect in every way that your opinion on the matter is rather useless.

It is as worthy of consideration as any other historical document.

Not really since it isn't an historical document any more than the koran is.

Actually, ya fucking genius, your "experience" in ethics/religion/politics and society say nothing about your lack of knowledge regarding the personal opinions of ANY user on ANY issue on this forum. I didn't even originally direct a single comment at you... which pretty much makes my post to a bible thumper criticizing his automatic blind assumptions about the validity of the bible sound about like something YOU would have posted too, eh? So much for your brainiac approach. Like I said, your new car smell is pretty obvious. You are like a child who stomps his foot and insists that he is old enough to shave but ends up slicing himself wide open. No one is quaking in their ISP now that you hve graced us with your presence. Believe it.

People like you are a widows mite a dozen. You waltz in pretending to be an expert, and in a wannabe grandiose fashion that is as impressive as pee-wee Hermans jock strap, start firing at the hip hoping you hit something relevant. Maybe if you stick around longer than it takes your ADDHD to flare up you'll figure out who is willing to think critically and who seems to think blustered grandstanding amounts to jack and shit.

Your ability to make useless posts about unrelated subject matter continues to astound me. If you disagree with my position, then by all means tell me how and why. If you don't like the way I express my opinion, by all means just shut up.

You are new here. So much of what is posted evolves into gross leaps in logic followed my personal attacks. Still, it gets entertaining some times. Good luck. :cool:

I feel leaps in logic are required when the majority of the population thinks in backwards baby steps.

So it is your stance that there are not portions of the Bible that are historically accurate?

The Bible isn't a goddamn history book, nor was it ever meant to be one. The Bible is a series of allegorical metaphorical stories, meant to convey certain messages and morals. It's like saying Cat in the Hat is historically accurate.

So long as we die there will be religion. Consciousness will always create solutions.

"It is that human capacity to be fully self-conscious that marks Homo sapiens as different from any other form of life in the natural world. That separating difference is what fills human beings with a sense of dread. Anxiety, says Paul Tillich, is born in the human recognition of finitude. It is therefore as omnipresent as humanity itself. To be human is to experience self-consciousness, to know separation, to be made aware of limits and to contemplate ends. One cannot be human, therefore, without being filled with chronic anxiety. It sounds depressing, but surely it is true." Bishop John Selby Spong

And now I'm starting to think about existentialism (seriously I am).

And since the discussion has turned to the Bible, I have to say that no, it's not an historical document.

Same as there are portions of Gone With the Wind that are historically accurate. But I do believe we call that an Historical Novel and not an historical document.

Let me rephrase ... it is not your position that the Old Testament is a historical accounting of certain persons and events in Jewish history?

The Bible isn't a goddamn history book, nor was it ever meant to be one. The Bible is a series of allegorical metaphorical stories, meant to convey certain messages and morals. It's like saying Cat in the Hat is historically accurate.

Y'think? You might just not be as smart as you keep pretending to be.

I CAN however suggest that unless you wish to find out how well *I* can string some profanity together than you not direct any at me.

I CAN however suggest that unless you wish to find out how well *I* can string some profanity together than you not direct any at me.

What are you talking about now?

Your ability to make useless posts about unrelated subject matter continues to astound me. If you disagree with my position, then by all means tell me how and why. If you don't like the way I express my opinion, by all means just shut up.

That's the punchline that you seem to have missed, dipshit. Pretty much anyone who has been here longer than two weeks and has read my posts would KNOW who my original post was directed at. I really couldnt give the first rats ass about your opinion or how you express it since, chances are, it will be as stupid as your assumptions thus far. My original post was neither directed at you or irrelevant to the post DIRECTLY above it. In fact, genius, had you not shot your load like a virgin in a whorehouse you might have figured out a thing or two about my position in topics like this. Like I said, your blazing saddles routine is hardly unique.

welcome to the forum, brainiac.

It's like watching a baby doe learn to walk, isnt it?

What are you talking about now?

DO try and keep up. helios. My statement is in direct response to yours, and obviously so.

The historical accuracy of the Bible is a controversial topic; however, to attempt to marginalize every accounting contained within with a sweeping dismissal is to close your mind to a source of information.

Here's some help:

http://seeking4truth.com/historical_accuracy_of_the_bible.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_history

And just to clarify my position here, I am NOT speaking to the religious teaching in the Bible. I'm speaking of the people, places, and laws of the times, and recorded historical events that are corroborated by archaeological evidence.

DO try and keep up. helios. My statement is in direct response to yours, and obviously so.

The historical accuracy of the Bible is a controversial topic; however, to attempt to marginalize every accounting contained within with a sweeping dismissal is to close your mind to a source of information.

Here's some help:

http://seeking4truth.com/historical_accuracy_of_the_bible.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_history

And just to clarify my position here, I am NOT speaking to the religious teaching in the Bible. I'm speaking of the people, places, and laws of the times, and recorded historical events that are corroborated by archaeological evidence.

How was I directing profanity at YOU?

And if you are only speaking of names and places, I can agree the Bible seems to correspond to history (mostly, although there are still many, many errors).

How was I directing profanity at YOU?

And if you are only speaking of names and places, I can agree the Bible seems to correspond to history (mostly, although there are still many, many errors).

History always has errors. It's written from a singular point of view usually, and in our case specifically, rewritten to support political agendas. The best one can hope for is to get more than one point of view and extract the common denominators as the actual facts.

3 actual roman historians documented the life of Jesus, and they always referred to him as "Christus," "Christos," or "Christ" which means "Annointed One" and does not in any way prove Jesus' divine birth or anything else for that matter. They could have been talking about anyone... and what are the chances that someone actually relived Horus' life... exactly as it had been set in hieroglyphics 1000's of years before Jesus was born....?

Wow, where to begin on this subject? It would take me hours to accurately explain the Truth. Explaining the Truth or the Word to someone who has not spiritual eyes and ears to comprehend is like trying to explain the colors of a rainbow to a man who has been blind since birth. God Word is really not an intellectual or historical understanding. Only those that have been so called "born again" can truly hear and understand the Word of God. Basically God's Grace has to be bestowed upon those He chooses to be one in His kingdom. It is not by man's desire but Gods will. The Word of God or us some call it the Bible has its own spiritual language that reaches the deepness of a man's heart or as some call it his soul. It does not matter if the translation is English, Hebrew, Greek, Russian or what ever. Although the words maybe printed in theses text's the power that come from the words are spiritual in nature. The gaol of the enemy or the accuser of the brethren is to counterfeit everything God has done to lead people astray. This why you see some text that out dates the Bible by a substantial amount of years. Although the servant Moses penned (by the inspiration of The Holy Spirit) the early parts of the Bible long after the timeline of events in the Bible. Such recordings are for the express purpose of God Word upon His children and not of the world a.k.a. the unsaved. So unless your are a believer and have been awaken by the Grace of God, it is pointless to discuss the Word to those that do not seek its Truth. Like I said, its like explaining color to blind man who has never seen color since birth.

Forum List

Back