Religion and the greatest story ever told..

Who was Jesus Christ?

• A lunatic/madman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A healer/teacher, but not divine

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Son of God, performed real miracles etc

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • He didn't exist

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm. Would it be fair to say that “mainstream” religions are not cults and that less popular religions are cults? Such a statement seems to be self-serving for people in the more popular religions. I just don’t know. :eusa_think:

"mainstream" religions were once cults. The mitigating factors are the population of believers having enough time to assimilate their beliefs into popular culture. I'm not making a value judgement on the validity of any dogma that has been labeled either.

another piece of fiction.

what is your point?

The movie was fiction, I believe that the Tibetian book of the dead is based on something deeper and more profound. I wouldn't exactly dismiss it as fiction.

fair enough. you are free to believe whatever it is you want to believe.

I certainly do not agree but such is life.

But you were insinuating that believer population and time does not turn a cult into an accepted religion. I'm stating that christianity was also once a cult that grew into a major religion just like Jahovas Witness and Mormonism have the potential to become.

From the Jewish point of view Christianity was a cult, it spread through the Middle East and found its way into Europe, where it was still a cult. Cults which grow big enough in size and influence become religions. I think those are fair statements.

From the Jewish point of view Christianity was a cult, it spread through the Middle East and found its way into Europe, where it was still a cult. Cults which grow big enough in size and influence become religions. I think those are fair statements.

Actually, Christianity is not only a cult but it produces several offshoots that are also cults. The offshoots are basically reinterpretations of the obscure scriptures.

I say obscure because they are basically metaphors and open to interpretation. It is unfortunate that people die over those variances.

But you were insinuating that believer population and time does not turn a cult into an accepted religion. I'm stating that christianity was also once a cult that grew into a major religion just like Jahovas Witness and Mormonism have the potential to become.

Christianity was a small cult that grew into a big cult.

Cult:
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOIYsGVyg8M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOIYsGVyg8M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Forum List

Back