Relative costs

Damn, how did a year old thread get resurrected? :lol:

I agree to some extent it does depend on how well people manage their diabetes but it also depends on how the diabetes affects them. Some are just plain hard to keep under control (“Brittle” diabetics). Also the two cases you compare are different, one is type 1 and the other type 2.
My wife who has had diabetes for forty years is very brittle, but she still has all her body parts and takes care of herself.

You have a remedial understanding of the UK. In the 30s they were not spending our money on anything. There was a depression going on.

If the UK is so enfeebled why did the US require our support before ivading Iraq and Afghanistan ? Seems a bit pointless to me.But the subject is healthcare so perhaps yu could get back on topic.
The US was hurt far worse by the Great Depression than the UK was. Germany, France, Italy, Japan and the USSR were all spending on preparing for the coming war. Despite being isolationist from seeing the waste of American blood and treasure in “ the war to end all wars” the US was spending on defense. Admittedly not as much as it should have, been the American taxpayer viewed our oceans as uncrossable moats protecting us from the disagreeable Europeans who were constantly fighting. The UK just had the Channel for protection and WWI had shown it was no protection at all.

The US was hurt far worse by the Great Depression than the UK was. Germany, France, Italy, Japan and the USSR were all spending on preparing for the coming war. Despite being isolationist from seeing the waste of American blood and treasure in “ the war to end all wars” the US was spending on defense. Admittedly not as much as it should have, been the American taxpayer viewed our oceans as uncrossable moats protecting us from the disagreeable Europeans who were constantly fighting. The UK just had the Channel for protection and WWI had shown it was no protection at all.
As for needing your support, the UK had one division in Desert Storm. When Argentina seized the Falklands, you needed our Logistical and intelligence support. You also needed advanced Sidewinders released from US war stocks since you hadn’t spent the money on any. We provided far more support to you in the Falklands than you did us in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have been in ill health for nearly two years now. The main reason I waste so much time on here. Anyway, before Christmas I had a below knee leg amputation and have been recovering at home since then.

I was in hospital for a week.. The operation was on day 1 and I had about 6 days recovering. There was no charge for that. They send a psychiatrist round to see that you are in good spirits as well. NO Charge. She was a real charmer and took me to the shop to buy an ice cream. I wanted a Solero but they only had Feasts so I had one of them. The Psych bought it for me. No charge.

A day after my Op the Occy Health came round and measured me up. A day later they delivered my customised wheelchair. No charge.

For the next few days the Physios came round every day and I practised using the chair,getting in and out, taking bits off and putting them back.

After a week my wife came and took me home. It was great to be back. The day after that the support services turned up with a ramp so that I could get out of the front door. They also adjusted the TV height for me so that I could watch it in comfort. No charge.

After a month or so recuperating and seeing my wound heal I got my first physio appointment. Ive been going 2 or 3 times a week since then. No charge.

Two weeks ago I was told that my swelling had gone down and I could be measured up for a prosthetic. No Charge.

On Tuesday I got my new leg and started the process of getting to walk again. Ive been booked in for physio until I dont need it any more. Its hard work with a Physio who thinks Prince was over rated.

Throughout this I have been on a cocktail of drugs . No charge.

I have also been given custom insoles to put in my shoes to ensure I am walking on the level. They also gave me a pair of shoes with "special features" to help me be comfortable as I learn to walk again. No charge.

In a month or so I hope to be walking around and a few months after that I expect to be back in work.

I think that I have been well looked after throughout all of this and I only have one real complaint.

They have also sent me a leaflet explaining how I can claim my new car using my motability allowance. Its a government scheme. I cant drive my car any more without some adjustments so I might as well have a new one. No charge.

I am guessing that all of this would have cost me a tidy some in the US ?
If you were in the US maybe you would still have your leg

But nevertheless I wont hold your annoying liberal ideas and invasion of American issues where you dont belong against you at a time like this

So I’m sorry to hear about your troubles

Hope you get better soon

Last edited:
If you were in the US maybe you would still have your leg

But nevertheless I wont hold your annoying liberal ideas and invasion of American issues where you dont belong against you at a time like this

So I’m sorry to hear about your troubles
there are people a lot worse off than me. I am doing fine.

All insurance policies work like that. You do understand that dont you ?
So you still paid for it, you just paid a different entity. Not sure why paying the money to the Government is necessarily better than paying that money to an insurance company. You're still paying the money. I can only guess that if you're paying the Government you're paying more as nothing the Government does is ever cheaper.

So you still paid for it, you just paid a different entity. Not sure why paying the money to the Government is necessarily better than paying that money to an insurance company. You're still paying the money. I can only guess that if you're paying the Government you're paying more as nothing the Government does is ever cheaper.
No , it works out cheaper. There are no exemptions and we dont haveto pay anything else. Its all included. We dont lose it when we move jobs either.
The system is under attack from conservatives who all have interests in private medicine. We will dump tham shortly and rebuid it.

No , it works out cheaper. There are no exemptions and we dont haveto pay anything else. Its all included. We dont lose it when we move jobs either.
The system is under attack from conservatives who all have interests in private medicine. We will dump tham shortly and rebuid it.
Nothing any government does is cheaper or more efficient than the same thing done by private enterprise.

I have been in ill health for nearly two years now. The main reason I waste so much time on here. Anyway, before Christmas I had a below knee leg amputation and have been recovering at home since then.

I was in hospital for a week.. The operation was on day 1 and I had about 6 days recovering. There was no charge for that. They send a psychiatrist round to see that you are in good spirits as well. NO Charge. She was a real charmer and took me to the shop to buy an ice cream. I wanted a Solero but they only had Feasts so I had one of them. The Psych bought it for me. No charge.

A day after my Op the Occy Health came round and measured me up. A day later they delivered my customised wheelchair. No charge.

For the next few days the Physios came round every day and I practised using the chair,getting in and out, taking bits off and putting them back.

After a week my wife came and took me home. It was great to be back. The day after that the support services turned up with a ramp so that I could get out of the front door. They also adjusted the TV height for me so that I could watch it in comfort. No charge.

After a month or so recuperating and seeing my wound heal I got my first physio appointment. Ive been going 2 or 3 times a week since then. No charge.

Two weeks ago I was told that my swelling had gone down and I could be measured up for a prosthetic. No Charge.

On Tuesday I got my new leg and started the process of getting to walk again. Ive been booked in for physio until I dont need it any more. Its hard work with a Physio who thinks Prince was over rated.

I have also been given custom insoles to put in my shoes to ensure I am walking on the level. They also gave me a pair of shoes with "special features" to help me be comfortable as I learn to walk again. No charge.

In a month or so I hope to be walking around and a few months after that I expect to be back in work.

I think that I have been well looked after throughout all of this and I only have one real complaint.

They have also sent me a leaflet explaining how I can claim my new car using my motability allowance. Its a government scheme. I cant drive my car any more without some adjustments so I might as well have a new one. No charge.

I've had multiple hip surgeries as well as back surgery and cancer surgery.
My insurance covered it all.
You didnt get anything free you paid for it with high taxes.

You dont actually believe it’s really free do you? Seriously. You’re just paying the government instead of an insurance agency. You can argue that one way of doing it is better than the other but you can’t argue one costs money and the other doesn’t.

You dont actually believe it’s really free do you? Seriously. You’re just paying the government instead of an insurance agency. You can argue that one way of doing it is better than the other but you can’t argue one costs money and the other doesn’t.
Its free at the point of contact.. And its available to all people. rich or poor.

Cost is not the issue over here. I am happy that my taxes have ensured that other folk have been covered.

In 40 years of paying tax I was very lucky that I only needed medical help once, for a dislocated shoulder..

But you are correct that all insurance schemes fundamentally work the same way.. But our system doesnt bamkrupt people. Or penalise poor folk. Its good.

we're too busy funding wars, government and Green New Deals

Its free at the point of contact.. And it’s available to all people. rich or poor.
If I have insurance it’s the same experience dumb ass
Cost is not the issue over here. I am happy that my taxes have ensured that other folk have been covered.
But its not free which is the point
In 40 years of paying tax I was very lucky that I only needed medical help once, for a dislocated shoulder..
And your point is?
But you are correct that all insurance schemes fundamentally work the same way.. But our system doesnt bamkrupt people. Or penalise poor folk. Its good.

And not free. Thanks for playing

Forum List

Back