Real cowboy hats

Does anyone know what I'm talking about with my hats?

Anyone?

of course i do.

You're here of course you would. :eusa_angel:I love my hats. They take on their own. When I put on my never wetter I become. I hope that makes sense.

Now I would love to have a black straw hat wide as can be to become Audrey Hepburn. I know the hat she wore.

She was so gorgeous in that. Hats are fantasy .Well to some of us.

Anyone?
No. What I'm trying to do is discuss/educate anyone who is interested on what people actually wore during the "cowboy era" in this instance.
Take the modern cowboy boot. The originals were worn by Mexican Vaqueros but rarely by American cowboys who generally wore a Wellington style, square toed boot, if they could afford it. The modern reincarnation of what was the Vaquero boot didn't show up until the 20th century, we call it the cowboy boot.

Last edited:
I have a never wetter like in the second picture. Brimmed more front and back, but pretty much lile that. Probably my favorite.

Anyone?
No. What I'm trying to do is discuss/educate anyone who is interested on what people actually wore during the "cowboy era" in this instance.
Take the modern cowboy boot. The originals were worn by Mexican Vaqueros but rarely by American cowboys who generally wore a Wellington style, square toed boot, if they could afford it. The modern reincarnation of what was the Vaquero boot didn't show up until the 20th century, we call it the cowboy boot.

Oh heavens I was not trying to be serious. Oh I'm so sorry. I was just being an asshole.back there.

Oh my.

Now if we do want to get into serious. I love it. Especially when we start to get into Peruvian or Argentinian...key factors but I'm very aware of Chilean as well.

By all means give it. I love to learn.

Anyone?

Oh heavens I was not trying to be serious. Oh I'm so sorry. I was just being an asshole.back there.

Oh my.

Now if we do want to get into serious. I love it. Especially when we start to get into Peruvian or Argentinian...key factors but I'm very aware of Chilean as well.

By all means give it. I love to learn.

No problem. I realized that most people see old Hollywood shows and movies as the norm for what people wore during the cowboy era. Most of it is not just "Hollywooded" but extremely far from reality, even a lot of the John Wayne movies sported more modern styles.
Thankfully most of the more recent movies like Tombstone and Unforgiven were very correct via the wardrobe, though Tombstone's story is extremely "hollywooded".

Anyone?

did you look at my link?

Anyone?

did you look at my link?

Just now, missed it the first time. I collect hats, not baseball caps, real hats, unique hats, period (historical) hats. There are a few haberdashers I used to use exclusively, when I had the money, they're the best, making their hats using the original process.

did you look at my link?

Just now, missed it the first time. I collect hats, not baseball caps, real hats, unique hats, period (historical) hats. There are a few haberdashers I used to use exclusively, when I had the money, they're the best, making their hats using the original process.

the hats d bar j make are quality hats. The thing they use to measure your head just cracks me up! Its a ring with little pins they push in to the shape of your head. What ever hat they make they shape to that mold.

If you are ever in vegas i would suggest you stop by and check them out.

A real cowboy hat is whatever is on the head of a real cowboy. Whether that's a Montana peak or a sombrero or even a gimme baseball cap, if it doesn't have dirt and cow shit on it, it's not a cowboy hat.

did you look at my link?

the hats d bar j make are quality hats. The thing they use to measure your head just cracks me up! Its a ring with little pins they push in to the shape of your head. What ever hat they make they shape to that mold.

The hat sizer is called a Allie Maillard "Conformateur".

james+lock3.bmp
Conformateur_fitting-300x249.gif

metal+hat+top.JPG

metal+hat+open.JPG

metal+hat+closed.JPG

The following is used to measure the size of a hat by placing inside on the sweat band.

IL41+Hat+Sizer+sq.JPG

IL41+Hat+Sizer.JPG

B019-1.JPG
hat_measuring_tool2b.JPG

did you look at my link?

then they do it the old fashioned way. :thup:

The Plainsman didn't have a bucket like this...

70-01.jpg

Sorry, I just realized that's a personally modified Hardee hat which were worn by Regular Army (Union troops) including some cavalry brigades.

lf
They were worn by confederate officers as well.

Hats were not standardized in the Confederate forces and only somewhat standardized in the Union army. Cornfeds generally wore whatever they went to war with, what they could afford and what they picked up on the field. Short brim and kepis were generally favored by those from the city while wide brimmed by the country boys.

james+lock3.bmp

metal+hat+top.JPG

metal+hat+open.JPG

metal+hat+closed.JPG

The following is used to measure the size of a hat by placing inside on the sweat band.

IL41+Hat+Sizer+sq.JPG

IL41+Hat+Sizer.JPG

B019-1.JPG
hat_measuring_tool2b.JPG

close.

the one they had was an antique.... i remember him saying that. It did not have a crown piece, and was not brass. I think it was made of wood (not sure as i did not pay that much attention to it)

james+lock3.bmp

metal+hat+top.JPG

metal+hat+open.JPG

metal+hat+closed.JPG

IL41+Hat+Sizer+sq.JPG

IL41+Hat+Sizer.JPG

B019-1.JPG
hat_measuring_tool2b.JPG

close.

the one they had was an antique.... i remember him saying that. It did not have a crown piece, and was not brass. I think it was made of wood (not sure as i did not pay that much attention to it)

They could made of several materials including Wood, Brass, Mother of Pearl and modern ones have celluloid.

This one is made of wood and was constructed in 1899/1900
randyAM2.jpg

Incidentally I have my hats made for me by Buckaroo Hatters. Custom handmade cowboy and fedora hats., Art Fawcett VS Custom Hats and Brent Black https://www.brentblack.com/ for my Montecristi Panama hats, to name a few hat makers I deal with, there are others.

Here is my Monticristi Plantation

IMG_0735_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0736_edited-1.jpg

Here is a cowboy conversion of my Stetson "el Presidente" cowboy hat. From Cowboy hat to fedora.

20110201_44.jpg

IMG_0806_0497.jpg

IMG_0804_0495.jpg

Forum List

Back