Real cowboy hats

I do have a Stetson "Silverado" and a Shady Bradey straw hat I bought long before I became interested in the history. But all of my cowboy era hats are authentic for the period as are my clothing and accoutrements.

You got Cowboy undies?

Cowboy Underoos!

The first "union suit" was invented in Itica New York around 1868 and initially sold as women's underwear but soon became popular with men. Prior to that men wore long, light cotton drawers with a draw string around the waist.

270972827261.jpg

Prior to the mid 1860s women mostly wore pantalets under all the other layers. They had a little ditty about underwear at the time: "Silly men, those sons of bitches, drop their drawers or shit their britches". You can see why in this picture.

il_fullxfull.340805062.jpg

Of course gauchos were the first. Doesn't every one know this?

Gouchos are South American........ :D
In what eventually became the U.S. they were Mexican Vaqueros and Californios

Ah the dream...when the gauchos rode with the herd they were so exceptional. Not one lost ever. They would ride on the outside.

Just unreal horsemen.

Don't people know this?

Most peoples idea of history is found in early American HS history books and via Hollywood..... if they're even remotely interested.......
I mean, didn't the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.........? :eusa_whistle:

A little past the timeline but:

Susan Anderson, MD

anderson.jpg

1870-1960

Susan Anderson, M.D. was born in 1870 and moved to Cripple Creek, Colorado, with her family in 1891 during the gold rush. She graduated from the University of Michigan in 1897. In one of her first cases as a physician, Anderson rejected a surgeon's recommendation to amputate and saved the arm of a boy who had accidentally exploded dynamite in a mine.

After encountering difficulties building a practice in Denver, Greeley and Eaton, Anderson found her services appreciated in Fraser, where she treated lumberjacks, ranchers, railroad workers and even animals. Townsfolk referred to her as "Doc Susie." Although most of her practice involved house calls, she never owned a horse or car. When her services were needed, and the patient was distant, relatives or friends of the patient would provide her with transportation. She often accompanied patients to Colorado General Hospital in Denver to admit them for treatment. Usually paid in firewood or food, she was poor most of her life.

More

Colorado Women's Hall of Fame - Dr. Susan Anderson

A-true-girl-of-the-west.jpg

Title: A True Girl of the West.
Creator: George Bancroft Cornish
Date: 1906​

Sadie Austin

Pistol packin’ Nebraska cowgirl Sadie Austin wore a split skirt topped by a short over-skirt when riding her father’s range in the 1890s. The daughter of rancher Charles Austin, Sadie was a woman of many talents. She was well educated and noted for her refinement, including her accomplishments as a pianist. But, when needed, she was also able to put on a split skirt and help the cowhands. She could sit a horse well and was noted for her shooting ability. She was the best known cowgirl in Cherry County.”

tumblr_mcmoawisvH1qfdnzgo1_1280.jpg

Sadie Austin

Pistol packin’ Nebraska cowgirl Sadie Austin wore a split skirt topped by a short over-skirt when riding her father’s range in the 1890s. The daughter of rancher Charles Austin, Sadie was a woman of many talents. She was well educated and noted for her refinement, including her accomplishments as a pianist. But, when needed, she was also able to put on a split skirt and help the cowhands. She could sit a horse well and was noted for her shooting ability. She was the best known cowgirl in Cherry County.”

tumblr_mcmoawisvH1qfdnzgo1_1280.jpg

I have another one of her where she is throwing her arms around that horse.

Gaucho pants One hell of a good girl.

Forum List

Back