Real cowboy hats

No. What I'm trying to do is discuss/educate anyone who is interested on what people actually wore during the "cowboy era" in this instance.
Take the modern cowboy boot. The originals were worn by Mexican Vaqueros but rarely by American cowboys who generally wore a Wellington style, square toed boot, if they could afford it. The modern reincarnation of what was the Vaquero boot didn't show up until the 20th century, we call it the cowboy boot.

did you look at my link?

Just now, missed it the first time. I collect hats, not baseball caps, real hats, unique hats, period (historical) hats. There are a few haberdashers I used to use exclusively, when I had the money, they're the best, making their hats using the original process.

That's freaking awesome. I was crashing hard last night ( bad cold and the NQ combined with tequila) I must have missed that this was what you do.

Too cool. Amazing. Oh I love it.

The original cowboys:

a-california-vaquero-1852-granger.jpg

california+vaquero.bmp

05print.jpg

Of course gauchos were the first. Doesn't every one know this?

And in the modern age, I'm partial to a Resistol Cattleman:

1140-DEFAULT-l.jpg

And in the modern age, I'm partial to a Resistol Cattleman:

1140-DEFAULT-l.jpg

So ya like "dude" hats...... :eusa_whistle:

Yep. Being a dudette and all, I love my Resistol.

Or, at least I did until one of my sisters pinched it and refused to give it back. I need a new one, in the interests of family harmony...and retail therapy.

I do have a Stetson "Silverado" and a Shady Bradey straw hat I bought long before I became interested in the history. But all of my cowboy era hats are authentic for the period as are my clothing and accoutrements.

I do have a Stetson "Silverado" and a Shady Bradey straw hat I bought long before I became interested in the history. But all of my cowboy era hats are authentic for the period as are my clothing and accoutrements.

You got Cowboy undies?

You got Cowboy undies?

Used to, need some new ones. Reproductions with the drop back are available online for the latter period after the 1860s. I have the pre-1860s cotton draw-string underpants.

Last edited:
Once my finances get back on track I want to buy either a common Stove Pipe boot

$T2eC16J,!)cE9s4PsMyMBRM!(stu9w~~60_35.JPG

or a Preacher boot

PreacherBrwnLG.jpg

The Hoss...

hoss.jpg
Yuk, yuk...... :D
The "ten gallon" hat was introduced in 1925. What we know of as the cowboy era lasted from 1866 till 1886, though it really started in the 1830s by the original cowboys, the Mexican Vaqueros and Californios.

Cowboy wearing his "ten gallon" having meal during cattle round-up drive ... this photo from 1926

The Hoss...

hoss.jpg
The "ten gallon" hat was introduced in 1925. What we know of as the cowboy era lasted from 1866 till 1886, though it really started in the 1830s by the original cowboys, the Mexican Vaqueros and Californios.

Cowboy wearing his "ten gallon" having meal during cattle round-up drive ... this photo from 1926

Yup but 1926 is 29 years beyond the period under discussion........ :eusa_whistle:

Yup but 1926 is 29 years beyond the period under discussion........ :eusa_whistle:

oh shock horror forgive me

:eek::tongue:

Are girls allowed here? If yes then this one :)

another hat in that style...... stenson? I am not sure ....photos circa late 1800s

Are girls allowed here? If yes then this one :)

another hat in that style...... stenson? I am not sure ....photos circa late 1800s

Probably not a Stetson unless Stetson started making that style before it went out of style. Most likely, looking at the broad brim and lack of a dramatic edge roll, it's from the "plainsman" family of hat styles.
Men would often have two outfits, their work clothes and their town clothes. The town suit hat was often a derby, bee hive or a top hat, the work hat was generally a plantation or plainsman style due to the protection from weather offered by the wide brim. Most women, especially out west, didn't wear men's hats, they mostly wore bonnets at work and in town. :dunno:

Stetson "Boss of the Plains" was created in 1865.(fixed) "The straight-sided, round cornered, flat brimmed original Boss of the plains design dominated for about twenty years." (see Snyder, Jeffrey B. (1997) Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company 1865-1970 1997 ISBN 0-7643-0211-6 pg 73)

I have the book. Interesting read.

51Z3KDAR3JL.jpg

Sears%2BAd%2BFall%2B1900.jpg

Montgomery Ward catalog circo 1890 & 1920
1890p277.jpg

tumblr_m9460xcARX1qi5dm7o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back