Question for those that oppose requiring a photo ID for voting

if one person who is not actually eligible to vote, votes, it negates MY fucking vote. So even 1 fraudulent vote is too many.

What makes your vote so special? There are eligible voters who will be turned away on a mere chickenshit technicality, are their votes worth it to you? Does the possibility that many of those will be democratic votes bother you in the least? By your logic every democratic vote turned away makes your vote count for more but I guess that is the point in the first place.
Dumbass.

Do you support the requirement that people show a photo ID to buy a gun?
If so, how then can you oppose the same requirement in order to vote?
Voting is a fundamental right; owning a firearm is not – two different standards of judicial review.
Given the fact that you've been arging that resctictions on the right to arms need to pass strict scrutiny, you know your statement, above, is horsepuckey.

Also, one’s citizenship is confirmed at registration, there’s no need to confirm it again and again with every vote, year after year.
W/o an ID, how do you ascertain that the person claiming to be the person on the resitration rolls is actually that person? The registration proceess alone accomplishes nothing to this end.

Last, the state can offer a compelling governmental reason for checking ID when purchasing a firearm, which is not the case with voting – i.e., addressing ‘fraud.’
The compelling state interest in voting is, as noted above, making sure that the person casting the vote is who he says he is. This interest exists regardless of any actual fraud.

Aren't you the guy who said it was unconstitutional to check a person's criminal record before selling them a gun?
You, unsurprisingly, didn't answer the question.

Well, I'll take a stab at it.

A person with a gun that's registered to someone else can kill someone, wipe the prints off and ditch the weapon... thereby taking a human life and putting the person who's name the shooter used in a potential Criminal situation....

A person who votes without ID can, at the very worst....screw up a local, or perhaps(with a huge amount of luck) a State election.

Huge difference.
How does one go about registering a gun?
I have 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. All of which I've bought legally.
None, however, are "registered.
I own, um, several guns.
None are registered.

The answer to the OP requires another question: What, in each case, happens if a person cannot get a valid ID (for whatever reason) by date X?

In the case of the firearm, he or she must obtain the valid ID after date X, come back then, and buy the gun. The only harm suffered is a delay in acquiring the firearm. The person can still buy the gun, though; it's only a short delay.

In the case of voting, by the time he or she obtains the valid ID, the election will be over. The harm suffered is denial of a fundamental right of citizenship. The person cannot come back and vote later because the election will be over.

Well, I'll take a stab at it.

A person with a gun that's registered to someone else can kill someone, wipe the prints off and ditch the weapon... thereby taking a human life and putting the person who's name the shooter used in a potential Criminal situation....

A person who votes without ID can, at the very worst....screw up a local, or perhaps(with a huge amount of luck) a State election.

Huge difference.
How does one go about registering a gun?
I have 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. All of which I've bought legally.
None, however, are "registered.
I own, um, several guns.
None are registered.

What guns? :eusa_whistle:

So long as it is free..and the voter registeration requirement is either removed..or made same day..

I'm fine with it.

IDs should be mailed to everyone's home.

And the homeless should be able to pick them up with no troubles.

You good with that?

The answer to the OP requires another question: What, in each case, happens if a person cannot get a valid ID (for whatever reason) by date X?

In the case of the firearm, he or she must obtain the valid ID after date X, come back then, and buy the gun. The only harm suffered is a delay in acquiring the firearm. The person can still buy the gun, though; it's only a short delay.

In the case of voting, by the time he or she obtains the valid ID, the election will be over. The harm suffered is denial of a fundamental right of citizenship. The person cannot come back and vote later because the election will be over.

false. ALL voter ID laws in question here include the provision to vote a 'provisional ballot' on election day, which will count once the proper process is followed... same as always. This is allowed even without ID, and even if the person is not listed on the voter rolls.

So long as it is free..and the voter registeration requirement is either removed..or made same day..
I'm fine with it.
IDs should be mailed to everyone's home.
And the homeless should be able to pick them up with no troubles.
You good with that?
So you do not, in and of itself, oppose requiring a photo ID for voting.
Thank you.

Voting is a fundamental right; owning a firearm is not – two different standards of judicial review.

Also, one’s citizenship is confirmed at registration, there’s no need to confirm it again and again with every vote, year after year.

Last, the state can offer a compelling governmental reason for checking ID when purchasing a firearm, which is not the case with voting – i.e., addressing ‘fraud.’

Voting and gun ownership are both fundamental rights, guaranteed by our constitution.

Voter ID laws are designed to keep elections fair, they are not designed to keep anyone from voting. If community organizers can get voters to the polls, why can't they get them to a place to obtain an ID card?? Is it really only the vote that matters??

false. ALL voter ID laws in question here include the provision to vote a 'provisional ballot' on election day, which will count once the proper process is followed... same as always. This is allowed even without ID, and even if the person is not listed on the voter rolls.
Correctamundo. The complaint you responded to has no basis in reality.

Correctamundo. The complaint you responded to has no basis in reality.

very few of Dragons posts have any basis in reality.

I believe the right to bear arms is the 2nd amendment...am I wrong?

And FYI, in the state of Washington no one's citizenship is checked at registration. And illegals can get driver's licenses.

Call you local elections office and ask if they check for citizenship when someone register's to vote. My guess is they'll either say "yes" or "no". If they say "yes" ask them how often and if they check EVERYTIME a person is registered to vote. The first answer for me was no, then it was yes, then it was "random". And these are the people who run our elections. No wonder I have no faith in the "system" anymore.

In 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens.[1] While that may not seem like many, just 3 percent of registered voters would have been more than enough to provide the winning presidential vote margin in Florida in 2000.​
I believe you were spewing nonsense about citizenship being verified at registration...?

And again...without showing ID, how do you know the person who's voting is the person who registered?

Hint: You don't.

Good pwnage

Forum List

Back