Portland bakery fires employees for denying black woman service after closing

So evidently firing employees just doing their job is easier than standing up to a person higher than them on the pity pole complaining.

In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.

So zero evidence of racism, but the employees were fired anyway.

Naturally they are also trying to blame the "alt-right" for messing with them being douches.

Our business is under full assault by the Alt-Right and people fueled by their own white supremacy. We have been getting hundreds of calls, emails, DM’s, negative reviews and vitriolic comments from people all over the globe with no connection to Portland or our business. The original post was removed because the number of trolls that were flocking to it was more than we could effectively manage. We took screenshots and know that many others did as well. These comments are not simply critical of our actions (we can handle that) but they are meant to be intimidating and dehumanizing to everyone involved. Our employees and the community that is attempting to support and/or actually dialogue with us is feeling unsafe and we have an obligation to them. We are anti-censorship and support everyone’s freedom of speech but will not allow any of our platforms to be a repository of hate.

I wonder how many days it took for you to find this one. Or is this another stormfront special?

So evidently firing employees just doing their job is easier than standing up to a person higher than them on the pity pole complaining.

In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.

Naturally they are also trying to blame the "alt-right" for messing with them being douches.

Our business is under full assault by the Alt-Right and people fueled by their own white supremacy. We have been getting hundreds of calls, emails, DM’s, negative reviews and vitriolic comments from people all over the globe with no connection to Portland or our business. The original post was removed because the number of trolls that were flocking to it was more than we could effectively manage. We took screenshots and know that many others did as well. These comments are not simply critical of our actions (we can handle that) but they are meant to be intimidating and dehumanizing to everyone involved. Our employees and the community that is attempting to support and/or actually dialogue with us is feeling unsafe and we have an obligation to them. We are anti-censorship and support everyone’s freedom of speech but will not allow any of our platforms to be a repository of hate.

I wonder how many days it took for you to find this one. Or is this another stormfront special?

My link is to a local TV station, what does Stormfront have to do with it?

What's your point here? How many instances of this do we see in America compared to the other side of things? HA?

What's your point here? How many instances of this do we see in America compared to the other side of things? HA?

My point is the owners of the shop are morons.

Really? I don't think so.

They didn't deny her service because she was black, they denied service because they were closing.

They didn't deny her service because she was black, they denied service because they were closing.

I can read asshole but if it was not about race then why even point out the race of the person?,

IMO the problem is with how you whites around here pull up these kinds of stores while using them to deny or discredit the real racism out there blacks and other non whites face.

I can read asshole but if it was not about race then why even point out the race of the person?,

IMO the problem is with how you whites around here pull up these kinds of stores while using them to deny or discredit the real racism out there blacks and other non whites face.

The owners of the bakery made it about race.

White people......victims.

Again, I don't care what the owners did., I do care that you bought up an insignificant story in order to try allowing others to use this example to discount or deny actual instances of racism.

White people......victims.

So firing those two people was justified?

Again, I don't care what the owners did., I do care that you bought up an insignificant story in order to try allowing others to use this example to discount or deny actual instances of racism.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I am making fun of owners who fire employees for perceived racism why claiming at the same time they have no real evidence of it.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I am making fun of owners who fire employees for perceived racism why claiming at the same time they have no real evidence of it.

You are doing exactly that. Try posting stories of actual racism sometimes.

You are doing exactly that. Try posting stories of actual racism sometimes.

Why?

All this is going to do is discourage people from opening retail businesses to the public. Much safer to just do online.

I would have fired them for turning away money.
After closing? How many places do you know that praise when employees keep store open past hours?
I ran a Pizza Hut a while back. If i would have got caught doing that? Written up or fired.
Hek, if we were to enter an order past our scheduled time, corporate would have been calling and bitching me out.

If you're scheduled for 40 hours, and working late puts you into overtime, it would be the last check you pick up in a franchise.

My experience has been that a business will normally lock it's doors at closing time. Anyone that makes it inside before the doors are locked get service. There may be a "last call" to buy before they close their cash registers.

Most insurance companies won't let you count out/reconcile tills if a non-employee is there or if the door is unlocked. If you get robbed, you're not covered.

Thank you. Salient points. It's always more complex than the superficially emotional.

Yes. I usually just blame lawyers or insurance companies.

I used to count tills all the time while open. It was a McD's in the 1980's and we had up to nine cashiers at a time when buzy...

I'm not sure if that's because of the 1980's or the number of employees on duty. Opening & closing rules are very different from shift changes, but I couldn't even shift change until BOTH the replacement cashier and replacement butcher were there. It took 4 employees inside (out back in the smoker didn't count) to shift change 1 till.

States may differ. This is in Louisiana, but we are a pretty lenient state for regs as you know. It was the insurance carrier that mandated these rules. Larger companies may have more sway, but mom-n-pops get crushed.

They denied 2 white people BEFORE they denied the black person. Tell me again who made this about race?

They denied 2 white people BEFORE they denied the black person. Tell me again who made this about race?

Because FEELZ and Diversity...or something.

Forum List

Back