population / food ?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by sam111, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So I am researching population growth in the US.
    And food consumption in the US.

My questions I am wanting to understand is

1) I can get the population and population density of any state/town in the US.
    But I am wondering about how much food we have and the rate of consumption of what foods in what regions?

For example
    Take cows and chickens for example how can one determine a rough estimate on how many cows and chickens we have in a certain region and at what rate we are consuming them / replacing them?

Say for example we have 100,000 cows in Wyoming and 10,000 people that eat red meat on a daily bases. Say they eat on average 3lb of red meat a week. Say the average cow weighs 1,000 lb. yields a 650 lb of eatable red meat.

If creating a new cow to reach full adult hood takes 3 to 4 years.
    Then does anybody see a problem with are consumption?

I do we simple are over populating to fast to have an equal balance?

Unless we can produce 1000 and 1000 of cows at the same time. And even that with are population exponentially growing their is going to be problems.

Thank god for people that don't eat red meat or eat chicken.

Correct me if I am wrong this is only going to get to be more of a problem.

For other natural resources like like oil , electric ,gas ,...etc in theory if we drill deep enough we have close to an unlimited supply or at least enough to support the whole world for a while. May be my math is wrong but I worked out that we would run out of oil ,electric , gas ,....etc much later then we would run out of space on earth for people.

But when it comes to food and trees this is another story!
    So the government shouldn't be so focus on oil , other energy consumption stuff as much as it should be with the population , food , and enviroment/ecosystem (these factors are the most important since they are the essential necessities of all life).

Question 2)
    I have research how environmentalists and wild life people get a population count /density count on different types of animals and how they flow thru the world.
    But all their methods are crude and left open for a lot of mistakes in counting. (i.e it is not as easy as getting it from humans tax forms / census count which is more exact since mostly everybody has to do these.)

So I ask how can we determine a rough estimate on cow and other animal populations that we consume. Unless we know where they all are and can physically count them?
    Because we could not be aware of it but we could be making cows extinct in a few years from now based on a mis-calculated count?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Anything statistical in the US is included in the Statistical Abstract.

RED MEAT AND POULTRY (in millions of pounds)

Year Production Imports Supply Exports Consumption Ending stocks

2000 82,372 4,136 88,480 9,344 77,067 2,069

2010 91,639 3,439 89,524 13,977 81,120 2,114

The 2012 Statistical Abstract: Meat and Livestock

3. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,192
    These kind of threads are so gay............the kind of shit that intrigued me decades ago:lol:........when back then they said there would be no more food by 2001.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    Don't worry about it, December 21st, 2012 is just around the corner.

5. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Don't worry, they told us we ran out of oil in 1920 & we were out of food way before that. We must be ghost that don't really exist because we killed the planet many times over 100s of years ago.

6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    Got a link, or is this more crap you're pulling outta your ass?

7. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    You must be the stinky turd I squeezed out of my ass & flushed yesterday.

Why dire overpopulation predictions keep getting it wrong

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

first off you are assuming:
    1) people in your target...only eat one food and nothing else.
    2) Food sources are not only local. Its a global world resources.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,842

The McDonalds public relations department can help you with that question.

10. sam111

sam111 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great point.

But it essentially boils down to keeping track of things and counting/measuring quantities nothing to complex.

The complexity comes in determining a reasonable way to make accurate counting/measuring of things like flow/location , growth/death.

This all gets back into counting animal populations ....etc etc
    Which is why people keep getting and predicting stuff wrong.

In theory we could find out that we have enough food to feed the whole entire would forever provided we knew how to get accurate data on animals , crops , flow of animals....etc

And reasonable condense it into a way to analysis the rate of consumption / growth of new produce in an easy way.

From the position I am at and from the information I have found up to this point their isn't a really good way of accurately doing this.

People tracking and measuring of alot of things associated to them is alot easier since everybody submits forms like census , tax , medical , address , drivers license,identification ...etc

But animals don't have much identification or ways to identify them.
    Other then tagging the ones that are used for produces.
    And I cann't see any one entity knowing the complete details of how many produce cows ,...etc

For example US may know how many cows they have in a certain area of the US based on farmers submitting accurate produce numbers. But it doesn't know how many cows are used for produces in greenland , or whole continents like Europe. They would only know the imported or exported numbers if they keep track of that.

Plus even if they could get the info from farmers how do they know they are not lieing or are accurately counted.

Not to mention illegal smuggleing of some thing which this would probably be negligible.

A more important thing to know even if we had a good accurate count of how many cows we have in produces. Is the rate of knew full mature ones , their locations , and the rate of death of the production cows.

I.E the rates and flows of the number of production cows determines the amount of red meat for people. (not to hard to comprehend )

Basically the rate of growth of new produce rests in the farmers /cattle raisers hands and how many he wants to create.

So I ask in the US is their currently away to get these rates and flows of are produce accurately. And if so is their a known way to keep the growth and death rates enough to feed the world and allow the cow population to have a reasonable amount of free living cows.

If so then I just want to know how that is being done.
    And then if we can do it for any amount of US. population growth for the future... (based on are rates of growth) then we should be all set with red meat.

Similarly if we can do it for all produce we would have a way to cure human hungry for the whole united states.

Then if that is accomplished maybe in are foreign policies we can collaborate with other countries to help them cure hungry for their countries based on anaylsising their produce population/culture.

And if we can do it for all their growth rates then we have cured human hungry for the whole world.

And then we have to just work on making sure we don't over populate the world not because of the food or resources but for the sure convince of living.

I like to call it I need my space theory or the psychology or congestion which causes chaos behavior ... crime , discomfort ,...etc.

So population is a problem regardless of being able to cure the world or hungry , energy ,...etc
    Ironic even if we can create a world where everybody enough or reasonable enough resources to live comfortable. We will destroy are self's with the lack of human control/figures which is why the world is so fat, people being dirty implies more viruses/bacteria being transfered/more communicable illness's (real even if we had it close to perfect humans would be stupid enough to fuck it up) .