Venison vs Beef: Which Is Healthier?

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
I’m considering replacing beef with venison. Deer are grazing animals, which seems more natural and healthy to me. I know cows graze, but not all of them, and not all the time. More’s the pity.

Venison is a naturally lean, protein-rich meat that’s worth trying. As an alternative red meat, it’s often compared to beef. Here’s the deal on the health benefits of venison vs beef.​

I’m considering replacing beef with venison. Deer are grazing animals, which seems more natural and healthy to me. I know cows graze, but not all of them, and not all the time. More’s the pity.​
Venison is a naturally lean, protein-rich meat that’s worth trying. As an alternative red meat, it’s often compared to beef. Here’s the deal on the health benefits of venison vs beef.​

I used to cook it fairly often. I think it's healthy. I braised it and roasted it in a slow oven.

I’m considering replacing beef with venison. Deer are grazing animals, which seems more natural and healthy to me. I know cows graze, but not all of them, and not all the time. More’s the pity.​

Venison is healthier for cows.

It is hard to compare the two, since most beef you can buy is grown in very unhealthy ways. Steroids, antibiotics, and other added bits in their diet, followed by tons of corn at the feed lot to fatten them up.

Some years ago we ate more venison than beef. The kids loved it. It was tasty. But that was back when I hunted more and had plenty in the freezer. The only venison I have in my freezer now is a nice tenderloin I am saving for a special occasion. It will spend all day in the smoker.

ill take bison......

It is hard to compare the two, since most beef you can buy is grown in very unhealthy ways. Steroids, antibiotics, and other added bits in their diet, followed by tons of corn at the feed lot to fatten them up.

Some years ago we ate more venison than beef. The kids loved it. It was tasty. But that was back when I hunted more and had plenty in the freezer. The only venison I have in my freezer now is a nice tenderloin I am saving for a special occasion. It will spend all day in the smoker.
nailed it WB! ~S~

Deer meat was pretty much all we ate when I was growing up besides pork, chicken, and fish. I must have been 18 before I ever had a beef steak.....To this day I don't eat much beef.

I remember my dad winning a quarter beef at the shooting match one night.....He traded it for two half hogs.

Years later I won one at a match and had the FD running the match to but it back up and I split the money with them.

Venison is difficult to get right, best thing to do with it is usually grind it to make hamburger.
Buuut... if you raised deer like cattle, it would taste very similar as the gameiness of the meet would not be there.

Venison is difficult to get right, best thing to do with it is usually grind it to make hamburger.
Buuut... if you raised deer like cattle, it would taste very similar as the gameiness of the meet would not be there.

The thing to remember about venison is that it is so lean. You have to add fat.

I eat mostly chicken or fish because it is healthier than eating beef.

Where I hunt the deer aren’t the biggest because there are no farms using pesticides. To bring them in we plant things that deer eat and we don’t use and pesticides. My favorite is winter wheat because they eat it in the winter even if it’s buried in the snow. And when it grows tall we plant something different and use a roller to flatten the winter wheat and it protects the new seeds from the birds and sun. All natural. The deer taste amazing.

Deer are free range animals. I hate slaughter mills. The cows short life is not nice up until the end.

No one who has hit a deer with their car is against deer hunting. Lol

Forum List

Back