Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

I doubt if she will see $5.5 million but a sympathetic jury could give a multi-million judgement in punitive damages

Expect Popeyes to settle for around $1 mil

Expect her attorney to get half that and the IRS another 35%. Hell, when all is said and done she might be able to put a down payment on a house.

Totally worth it.

Why don't they have insurance for that?

Anyway, it seems more like a management problem if they cannot assign sufficient personnel to a given scenario in order to accomplish the goals they are establishing.

They don't have to. IRS allows companies to claim robberies as a deduction.

Reporting a Loss Due to Theft on a Tax Return eHow
So, why is management complaining if they took a write off?

The manager fucked up big time. Now he'll have to pay more.
Why do you believe it was that manager's responsibility if they have no authority to call in extra personnel to handle any overflow?

The manager fucked up when he told the teen pregnant girl that she either pay up the $400 or she would be fired....I really don't understand how the manager not having authority to call in extra personnel then makes it the responsibility of an employee (teen pregnant girl) to guard the money.

I've been backpacking in the Rockies during thunderstorms and never really worried about getting hit by lightning

You seem to worry about it all the time

No, I don't worry about it, but I don't stand under a tree with a lightning rod in my hand during a thunderstorm.

There's a difference between being prudent and being foolish, and you have proven which one you are. Hope your luck holds out.
Statistics and probability tells me I'm going to be just fine.

But you go ahead and worry about all the shit that may possibly in the near or perhaps distant future if it makes you feel better

You are having a disconnect. Using prudence and worrying are two different things. I don't live worrying about anything, but I know how to use common sense.

Seems to me you are just saying that because you want to appear superior........while practically bragging that you don't use common sense.....

It's your life...you can live it anyway you want.....but don't accuse me of living a life of worry just because you're not able to comprehend what I'm saying.

I've been backpacking in the Rockies during thunderstorms and never really worried about getting hit by lightning

No, I don't worry about it, but I don't stand under a tree with a lightning rod in my hand during a thunderstorm.

There's a difference between being prudent and being foolish, and you have proven which one you are. Hope your luck holds out.

But you go ahead and worry about all the shit that may possibly in the near or perhaps distant future if it makes you feel better

You are having a disconnect. Using prudence and worrying are two different things. I don't live worrying about anything, but I know how to use common sense.

Seems to me you are just saying that because you want to appear superior........while practically bragging that you don't use common sense.....

It's your life...you can live it anyway you want.....but don't accuse me of living a life of worry just because you're not able to comprehend what I'm saying.

When you start comparing the likelihood of getting robbed at work to the likelihood of getting struck by lightning you are worrying enough to calculate the odds aren't you?

I don't worry about these things because I do exercise common sense.

You see a chance of getting robbed at work as 800 times more likely than getting struck by lightning. The fact is you can do everything right and STILL get robbed or hit by lightning. The probability though is neither will happen

Possibility and probability are 2 entirely different things.

When you start comparing the likelihood of getting robbed at work to the likelihood of getting struck by lightning you are worrying enough to calculate the odds aren't you?

You see a chance of getting robbed at work as 800 times more likely than getting struck by lightning. The fact is you can do everything right and STILL get robbed or hit by lightning. The probability though is neither will happen

When the guy walked in with a mask and a gun, her probability of getting robbed was close to 100%

She risked her life over a $10 an hour job and was fired over $400

For that, she will get millions out of Popeyes

I never said that a person is as likely to get struck by lightning as they are of getting robbed while working at a convenience store.....I don't even know the statistics on it, so when you accuse me of comparing the two you are envisioning things in your mind that were not put there by me. Pay attention, so you don't misinterpret what I've been saying. I don't worry about lightning, but I am aware of the dangers and do not put myself in harm's way purposefully. I have never been in a financial situation where I had to work as a server, but I know that everyone that does is in a job more likely to experience a robbery, than I was in my professional position. So, you can't deny that such positions are more risky, even though some may never experience such.

Your previous posts sounded like you didn't believe either one was risky, and your nonchalance attitude could be interpreted as reckless and daring, but I'm glad that you admit to exercising common sense.

Please quote my post where I said that, because, like I said, I don't even know the statistics to even compare it. I just know that your chances of getting struck by lightning during a thunderstorm are greater if you don't exercise prudence. I don't know that there is much you can do when working as a server other than checking out the frequency in that particular restaurant or area of the restaurant, and deciding whether or not it is worth the risk.

And you are right, the chances of getting hit by lightning are small, even smaller if you use prudence and common sense, and getting robbed as a server will never happen to me as a server, as I don't see myself ever doing that. Although, some robbers have put the customers at risk, too.

Thank you for repeating back to me what I've been saying, although I didn't use your exact words....but getting back to the topic of the OP....
this young pregnant person did take a job that is in the probability of getting robbed, for whatever reason, she went ahead and took the job and now she has experienced a robbery. The manager was wrong for firing her, for whatever reason, especially right after the incidence of robbery, and most assuredly for asking her to pay back what was stolen. She has filed a lawsuit, and I hope this serves as an example for other managers out there....be careful of what you say and do.....it could come back to haunt you.

I never said that a person is as likely to get struck by lightning as they are of getting robbed while working at a convenience store.....I don't even know the statistics on it, so when you accuse me of comparing the two you are envisioning things in your mind that were not put there by me. Pay attention, so you don't misinterpret what I've been saying. I don't worry about lightning, but I am aware of the dangers and do not put myself in harm's way purposefully. I have never been in a financial situation where I had to work as a server, but I know that everyone that does is in a job more likely to experience a robbery, than I was in my professional position. So, you can't deny that such positions are more risky, even though some may never experience such.

Your previous posts sounded like you didn't believe either one was risky, and your nonchalance attitude could be interpreted as reckless and daring, but I'm glad that you admit to exercising common sense.

Please quote my post where I said that, because, like I said, I don't even know the statistics to even compare it. I just know that your chances of getting struck by lightning during a thunderstorm are greater if you don't exercise prudence. I don't know that there is much you can do when working as a server other than checking out the frequency in that particular restaurant or area of the restaurant, and deciding whether or not it is worth the risk.

And you are right, the chances of getting hit by lightning are small, even smaller if you use prudence and common sense, and getting robbed as a server will never happen to me as a server, as I don't see myself ever doing that. Although, some robbers have put the customers at risk, too.

Thank you for repeating back to me what I've been saying, although I didn't use your exact words....but getting back to the topic of the OP....

this young pregnant person did take a job that is in the probability of getting robbed, for whatever reason, she went ahead and took the job and now she has experienced a robbery. The manager was wrong for firing her, for whatever reason, especially right after the incidence of robbery, and most assuredly for asking her to pay back what was stolen. She has filed a lawsuit, and I hope this serves as an example for other managers out there....be careful of what you say and do.....it could come back to haunt you.

It was I who posted the "800 times more likely" comparison. As noted, "paying attention" doesn't seem to be his forte.

I dunno Mertex, you and I must look a lot alike... :uhh:

When the guy walked in with a mask and a gun, her probability of getting robbed was close to 100%

She didn't risk her life.

If she was driving to the bank as part of her job and a drunk driver hit her car would she have been "risking her life"?

She just happened to be there when the place got robbed.

Working fast food isn't risky.

It was I who posted the "800 times more likely" comparison. As noted, "paying attention" doesn't seem to be his forte.

Whatever.

If she was driving to the bank as part of her job and a drunk driver hit her car would she have been "risking her life"?

Her life was at risk

Because of her job, her life was put in jeopardy for it The robber was not robbing at random

Her life was at risk

Because of her job, her life was put in jeopardy for it The robber was not robbing at random

Being at risk in a rare situation and "risking your life" are 2 entirely different things

And of course crime is random. Why did he not rob a gas station or a guy walking down the street?

The fact is there is a very small chance that any business can be robbed that does not mean all those employees are "risking their lives "by working at a job

Apparently he's too busy dreaming up ways to defend his lame position that he doesn't even bother to see who he is responding to! :badgrin::badgrin:

Okay, genius, the facts are wrong and you are right...........bwahahahaha.......
now, apparently you will show us with links that you are right.:rolleyes:

Such thinking doesn't come naturally to an industry that spends more than $2 billion a year promoting itself as fun and friendly. But there are signs that just by coming to work, fast food's late-hour workers might be putting their lives at risk.
Late shift proves deadly to more fast-food workers - ABC News

Fast food restaurants are easy targets for robbers, and the restaurants employees and customers are at risk of injury.
Fast Food Employees Have Increased Risk Of Robbery Injury

A parallel between fast food chains and convenience stores is obvious. Often referred to as "stop and robs" the convenience store industry continues to be an exceedingly "high risk" target for criminal opportunity.
Fast food businesses higher security risk for violent crime and theft

"There's no room for violence under the Golden Arches." But in the annals of American crime, the fast-food-chain assault has become as iconic as the postal-worker shooting spree.
Fast-food crime Why is there so much violent crime at fast-food restaurants

The media onslaught following the Wendy's robbery and multiple homicides once again brought national attention to the risk of workplace violence at fast-food and late night convenience store operations.
Armed Robbery Homicide Wendy s fast food restaurant security consultant Chris McGoey armed robbery fast food security expert

The fast-food industry has known since the 1970s that armed robbery risk is greatest during the opening and closing routine.
Armed Robbery Homicide Burger King fast-food restaurant security security consultant Chris McGoey armed robbery fast food security expert

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —Louisville Metro Police Department officers are searching for the culprits in the metro's fifth armed fast-food robbery in less than a month.
Police investigate 5th armed fast-food restaurant robbery this month Local News - WLKY Home

Not particularly, no. Handling large amounts of cash however, is.

Her life was at risk

You're talking to a raging idiot who thinks someone who has a gun stuck in her face isn't having her life put at risk. There's some levels of stupid you just can't argue with.

If someone there had been shot/killed because she refused to hand over the money, the place would have been sued without a doubt. Is this what they would have rather had happen?

God bless you and the lady always!!!

Holly

P.S. What would they rather see disappear from the picture? Money or the lives of those who were there and it could have been everyone there, the customers, the lady, and everyone else who was working there.

So, in light of the 6 officers now being charged for murder and facing prison time in Baltimore because they failed to follow the JUST INSTATED policy of buckling up suspects in the van - can we revisit how Popeye's was in the wrong to fire this woman for repeatedly not following company policy?

So, in light of the 6 officers now being charged for murder and facing prison time in Baltimore because they failed to follow the JUST INSTATED policy of buckling up suspects in the van - can we revisit how Popeye's was in the wrong to fire this woman for repeatedly not following company policy?

First you have to prove that she wasn't following company policy. Just because the manager, who we have not deduced is rather dumb, said so, doesn't mean it's true.

Forum List

Back