Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

Pregnant restaurant manager fired after armed robbery

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

To be fair she was fired for having too much money in the register, against store policy. Its a stupid policy to fire someone over, but she isn't being fired for being robbed and giving up the cash, its not putting it into the safe quick enough.
according to Popeye's. According to her it was for not paying 400 bucks.

They gave her an "out". pay the money back to keep your job. The firing was over the policy breach.

You are having a disconnect. Using prudence and worrying are two different things. I don't live worrying about anything, but I know how to use common sense.

Seems to me you are just saying that because you want to appear superior........while practically bragging that you don't use common sense.....

It's your life...you can live it anyway you want.....but don't accuse me of living a life of worry just because you're not able to comprehend what I'm saying.

When you start comparing the likelihood of getting robbed at work to the likelihood of getting struck by lightning you are worrying enough to calculate the odds aren't you?
I never said that a person is as likely to get struck by lightning as they are of getting robbed while working at a convenience store.....I don't even know the statistics on it, so when you accuse me of comparing the two you are envisioning things in your mind that were not put there by me. Pay attention, so you don't misinterpret what I've been saying. I don't worry about lightning, but I am aware of the dangers and do not put myself in harm's way purposefully. I have never been in a financial situation where I had to work as a server, but I know that everyone that does is in a job more likely to experience a robbery, than I was in my professional position. So, you can't deny that such positions are more risky, even though some may never experience such.

I don't worry about these things because I do exercise common sense.
Your previous posts sounded like you didn't believe either one was risky, and your nonchalance attitude could be interpreted as reckless and daring, but I'm glad that you admit to exercising common sense.

You see a chance of getting robbed at work as 800 times more likely than getting struck by lightning. The fact is you can do everything right and STILL get robbed or hit by lightning. The probability though is neither will happen

Please quote my post where I said that, because, like I said, I don't even know the statistics to even compare it. I just know that your chances of getting struck by lightning during a thunderstorm are greater if you don't exercise prudence. I don't know that there is much you can do when working as a server other than checking out the frequency in that particular restaurant or area of the restaurant, and deciding whether or not it is worth the risk.

And you are right, the chances of getting hit by lightning are small, even smaller if you use prudence and common sense, and getting robbed as a server will never happen to me as a server, as I don't see myself ever doing that. Although, some robbers have put the customers at risk, too.

Possibility and probability are 2 entirely different things.

Thank you for repeating back to me what I've been saying, although I didn't use your exact words....but getting back to the topic of the OP....

this young pregnant person did take a job that is in the probability of getting robbed, for whatever reason, she went ahead and took the job and now she has experienced a robbery. The manager was wrong for firing her, for whatever reason, especially right after the incidence of robbery, and most assuredly for asking her to pay back what was stolen. She has filed a lawsuit, and I hope this serves as an example for other managers out there....be careful of what you say and do.....it could come back to haunt you.

It was I who posted the "800 times more likely" comparison. As noted, "paying attention" doesn't seem to be his forte.

I dunno Mertex, you and I must look a lot alike... :uhh:

Apparently he's too busy dreaming up ways to defend his lame position that he doesn't even bother to see who he is responding to! :badgrin::badgrin:
All you idiots sound the same after a while
Back atcha.

Working fast food isn't risky.

Not particularly, no. Handling large amounts of cash however, is.

Not if it's done right.

for example bleeding the registers

I worked at places where whenever there was more than 50 bucks in the register we had to tell the manager so he could bleed the register and drop the cash in the floor safe to which he did not have the combination

And what happens during that period between the time you do that and the time the cash gets dropped? Not just that but between the time that cash actually builds up in there and time the cash is dropped? That interval is where we are here.

It was I who posted the "800 times more likely" comparison. As noted, "paying attention" doesn't seem to be his forte.

Apparently he's too busy dreaming up ways to defend his lame position that he doesn't even bother to see who he is responding to! :badgrin::badgrin:

You know why that is? Everything sounds the same when you're going :lalala:

When you start comparing the likelihood of getting robbed at work to the likelihood of getting struck by lightning you are worrying enough to calculate the odds aren't you?
I never said that a person is as likely to get struck by lightning as they are of getting robbed while working at a convenience store.....I don't even know the statistics on it, so when you accuse me of comparing the two you are envisioning things in your mind that were not put there by me. Pay attention, so you don't misinterpret what I've been saying. I don't worry about lightning, but I am aware of the dangers and do not put myself in harm's way purposefully. I have never been in a financial situation where I had to work as a server, but I know that everyone that does is in a job more likely to experience a robbery, than I was in my professional position. So, you can't deny that such positions are more risky, even though some may never experience such.

I don't worry about these things because I do exercise common sense.
Your previous posts sounded like you didn't believe either one was risky, and your nonchalance attitude could be interpreted as reckless and daring, but I'm glad that you admit to exercising common sense.

You see a chance of getting robbed at work as 800 times more likely than getting struck by lightning. The fact is you can do everything right and STILL get robbed or hit by lightning. The probability though is neither will happen

Please quote my post where I said that, because, like I said, I don't even know the statistics to even compare it. I just know that your chances of getting struck by lightning during a thunderstorm are greater if you don't exercise prudence. I don't know that there is much you can do when working as a server other than checking out the frequency in that particular restaurant or area of the restaurant, and deciding whether or not it is worth the risk.

And you are right, the chances of getting hit by lightning are small, even smaller if you use prudence and common sense, and getting robbed as a server will never happen to me as a server, as I don't see myself ever doing that. Although, some robbers have put the customers at risk, too.

Possibility and probability are 2 entirely different things.

Thank you for repeating back to me what I've been saying, although I didn't use your exact words....but getting back to the topic of the OP....

this young pregnant person did take a job that is in the probability of getting robbed, for whatever reason, she went ahead and took the job and now she has experienced a robbery. The manager was wrong for firing her, for whatever reason, especially right after the incidence of robbery, and most assuredly for asking her to pay back what was stolen. She has filed a lawsuit, and I hope this serves as an example for other managers out there....be careful of what you say and do.....it could come back to haunt you.

Bwahaha....you can't defend your ignorant position......nice deflection.

I don't need to.

The stats do it for me

The likelihood of being the victim of a crime at work is low. Just because it happens on rare occasion does not mean that any job in fast food is particularly dangerous.

No one with any sense thinks otherwise.

Not if it's done right.

I worked at places where whenever there was more than 50 bucks in the register we had to tell the manager so he could bleed the register and drop the cash in the floor safe to which he did not have the combination

And what happens during that period between the time you do that and the time the cash gets dropped? Not just that but between the time that cash actually builds up in there and time the cash is dropped? That interval is where we are here.

You mean the 30 seconds or so it takes to drop some cash into the floor safe that was right next to the register?

I don't know what can happen in 30 seconds? Besides your once a year lay that is?

Not if it's done right.

You mean the 30 seconds or so it takes to drop some cash into the floor safe that was right next to the register?

I don't know what can happen in 30 seconds? Besides your once a year lay that is?

How long does it take a thug to pull a gun? More than 30 seconds? If so I have a very distorted perception of how guns work.

Not if it's done right.

How long does it take a thug to pull a gun? More than 30 seconds? If so I have a very distorted perception of how guns work.

No matter how much you try you can't get past the stats.

Very few people ever get robbed while they are working. So if you want to live in fear of the couple percentage points that you are obsessing about that's fine but don't try to convince me that any burger bagger is risking his life on a daily basis because it's simply not true.

Not if it's done right.

Very few people ever get robbed while they are working. So if you want to live in fear of the couple percentage points that you are obsessing about that's fine but don't try to convince me that any burger bagger is risking his life on a daily basis because it's simply not true.

Are you confused, or going :lalala: again?

I didn't post about risking one's life; I posted about that interval of time between a group of cash registers building up and being dropped into the safe.

Can you at least address the point quoted? Or is that inconvenient?

Not if it's done right.

I didn't post about risking one's life; I posted about that interval of time between a group of cash registers building up and being dropped into the safe.

Anything can happen in 30 seconds as I said before.

But factor in the very low likelihood of being robbed at work during any 30 second interval and get back to me so you can tell me I'm right not that I need you to mind you

But factor in the very low likelihood of being robbed at work during any 30 second interval and get back to me so you can tell me I'm right not that I need you to mind you

"I need you to mind you"?
ScratchHead.gif

If the likelihood of being robbed in a random 30-second period is "very low" --- then why would there be an urgency to safe-drop it?
OTOH if "anything can happen in 30 seconds" -- then why doesn't she have that interval? Does it suddenly cease to exist?

Can't have it both ways. Pick one.

ScratchHead.gif

If the likelihood of being robbed in a random 30-second period is "very low" --- then why would there be an urgency to safe-drop it?
OTOH if "anything can happen in 30 seconds" -- then why doesn't she have that interval? Does it suddenly cease to exist?

So you think it's good policy for any business to have as much cash as possible in the registers?

The probability of getting robbed is low but businesses still have alarms don't they?

The probability of you dying and leaving your family penniless is low but you have life insurance don't you?

I worked at one store where I had to drop every 20 dollar bill but we never got robbed should I have disobeyed the policy ?

And the reason for such prudence is that IF you do happen to get robbed you minimize your losses it's not that every store is going to get robbed.

ScratchHead.gif

So you think it's good policy for any business to have as much cash as possible in the registers?

The probability of getting robbed is low but businesses still have alarms don't they?

The probability of you dying and leaving your family penniless is low but you have life insurance don't you?

I worked at one store where I had to drop every 20 dollar bill but we never got robbed should I have disobeyed the policy ?

And the reason for such prudence is that IF you do happen to get robbed you minimize your losses it's not that every store is going to get robbed.

No -- again I think you need to pick a position.

Choose only one:

(a) dropping register cash frequently is important to minimize losses from theft because anything can happen in 30 seconds;

(b) the possibility of being robbed is very low, so it's not that crucial.

Pick one. Can't have both.

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

To be fair she was fired for having too much money in the register, against store policy. Its a stupid policy to fire someone over, but she isn't being fired for being robbed and giving up the cash, its not putting it into the safe quick enough.

They gave her an "out". pay the money back to keep your job. The firing was over the policy breach.
She chose...I'll sue your ass for $5.5 mil for firing me

So if that additional money had been where it was supposed to be, would she have been ordered to hand over the money that would have been taken anyways?

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

P.S. If $400 is what was run off with, how much was she ordered to hand over if not the entire $400?

"a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

That spokesman, who refused to be identified, also said that if she were given the option to pay money back, the company knew nothing about it.

[...]

Z&H Foods isn't the only company with this type of policy, according to KHOU-TV research. Other companies also have rules about the amount of money allowed to accumulate in a cash register and how much an employee is liable for when a shortage occurs."

So basically the belief is that EVERYTHING above from the report is just lies from Popeye's because this story happened to end up on the news? That they are so angry she was robbed and cost them $400 that they fired her for refusing to pay it back?

Yet we can't buy that they only hired her back to mitigate the developing PR disaster? We can't buy that they had /already/ given her chance that she failed to follow policy and this robbery exposed that she had failed to do so again?

Yet, if I argue we take the spokesman at his word, /I/ am making a speculation fallacy... Seriously?

I think I'm simply incapable of understanding how anyone can be so wrapped up in sympathetic viewpoints that they can't even consider the possibility that the company was telling the truth... Down with corporate seems to be all that matters here... The reverse doesn't apply though, it's a pick and choose on who has to follow policies to the letter, and who doesn't because... reasons. So it's down with cops there... That person is lying cause reasons... That business is lying cause reasons... I need more logic than that.

Ah well thanks for trying anyway.

"a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

That spokesman, who refused to be identified, also said that if she were given the option to pay money back, the company knew nothing about it.

[...]

Z&H Foods isn't the only company with this type of policy, according to KHOU-TV research. Other companies also have rules about the amount of money allowed to accumulate in a cash register and how much an employee is liable for when a shortage occurs."

So basically the belief is that EVERYTHING above from the report is just lies from Popeye's because this story happened to end up on the news? That they are so angry she was robbed and cost them $400 that they fired her for refusing to pay it back?

Yet we can't buy that they only hired her back to mitigate the developing PR disaster? We can't buy that they had /already/ given her chance that she failed to follow policy and this robbery exposed that she had failed to do so again?

Yet, if I argue we take the spokesman at his word, /I/ am making a speculation fallacy... Seriously?

I think I'm simply incapable of understanding how anyone can be so wrapped up in sympathetic viewpoints that they can't even consider the possibility that the company was telling the truth... Down with corporate seems to be all that matters here... The reverse doesn't apply though, it's a pick and choose on who has to follow policies to the letter, and who doesn't because... reasons. So it's down with cops there... That person is lying cause reasons... That business is lying cause reasons... I need more logic than that.

Ah well thanks for trying anyway.

Can't see a quote to tell who this is addressed to but I for one think Corporate did the right thing. It was the local manager who fucked up, for obvious reasons.

The last few sentences of this post I can't even fathom.

She doesn't have much of a case if she did break the work rules.

ScratchHead.gif

Ha,ha, he's gotten so confused he's tripping over his words and contradicting himself.... you're right, it's like:lalala:

She doesn't have much of a case if she did break the work rules.
Popeyes will fold

Bad PR and they look like shit for valuing $400 over employees lives

Forum List

Back