Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Pregnant restaurant manager fired after armed robbery

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

Holcomb said that Tuesday was busy: The restaurant offers a two-piece chicken meal for $1.19, and she moved money into the safe as fast as she could.
"They got what they got because that's what we made within one hour," she said

A manager often has to keep business flowing during a busy period rather than stopping to move cash

Last edited:

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

Well, she will likely have a successful lawsuit.

you left out this part:

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.

To be fair she was fired for having too much money in the register, against store policy. Its a stupid policy to fire someone over, but she isn't being fired for being robbed and giving up the cash, its not putting it into the safe quick enough.

The same thing happened to a KFC in Redondo Beach.

The public was so furious that the outlet didn't last 60 days. It was the boycott of all boycotts.

Perhaps if people boycott all Popeyes restaurants, they'll yank the franchise from under the pathetic fascists.

To be fair she was fired for having too much money in the register, against store policy. Its a stupid policy to fire someone over, but she isn't being fired for being robbed and giving up the cash, its not putting it into the safe quick enough.

If you are running a $1.19 special, I imagine the place is jammed and the manager has a lot of other responsibilities beyond moving cash

To fire someone who had just had a gun pointed at her because she works for you is excessive

Any info on who robbed the fried chicken joint?

And...a 2 piece meal for $1.19?????? Damn! No wonder Popeyes is always near poor areas.

If you are running a $1.19 special, I imagine the place is jammed and the manager has a lot of other responsibilities beyond moving cash

To fire someone who had just had a gun pointed at her because she works for you is excessive

So what should they do? She has, according to the article, repeatedly broke the rules on keeping cash in the register.

If an average customer spends $10 then $400 represents 40 customers. That is NOTHING during a lunch rush that may accommodate ten times that many people in a two hour period. The requirement she failed to meet is ridiculous. I hope she gets a good lawyer and TAKES this company for a thousand times what they lost from their tills.

So what should they do? She has, according to the article, repeatedly broke the rules on keeping cash in the register.
Give her a reduced employment status or two week notice...

If an average customer spends $10 then $400 represents 40 customers. That is NOTHING during a lunch rush that may accommodate ten times that many people in a two hour period. The requirement she failed to meet is ridiculous. I hope she gets a good lawyer and TAKES this company for a thousand times what they lost from their tills.

I understand that they want to keep the amount in the register low just in case of robberies but during a time when money is flowing in at a very fast rate it is difficult to run the store and keep cash levels down

Give her a reduced employment status or two week notice...

Good compromise, but you know that wouldn't satisfy the people who want any corporation's head on a plate.

Corporate fusses over $400 while the employees on the front lines get a gun shoved in their face

Instead of fussing over $400 they should be concentrating on what she did right...namely not get anyone killed during an armed robbery

Forum List

Back