Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

Both risk their life

One voluntary.....one not

Risk is not involuntary.

Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost ...

She could have lost her life, which is something of value, ergo, at risk.

Being at risk and saying she was "risking her life" are two entirely different things

She was at risk..........ergo risking her life......only someone devoid of comprehension would think that is not the same thing.

Wrong.

Typical of someone that doesn't know much but considers themselves an expert......you don't provide any proof to back you up, but keep insisting that you are right....bwahahaha.

The pregnant restaurant manager fired after refusing to pay back money taken during an armed robbery, is now demanding $5.5 million.
Marissa Holcomb is asking for the amount for emotional distress.
Holcomb was a manager at a Popeyes fried-chicken restaurant when a man held her at gunpoint during her March 31 shift and demanded she empty the cash register.

USA TODAY
Popeyes offers to rehire manager fired after robbery

Surveillance video shows a man run into the restaurant with a beanie over his face while waving a gun. He forced all employees to the floor, then turned his attention to Holcomb.
Holcomb said she was originally terminated because she refused to pay back the $400 that was stolen during the robbery. The owner of Z&H Foods, Amin Dhanani, argued she was fired because she broke company policy multiple times by leaving too much money in the register.

I doubt if she will see $5.5 million but a sympathetic jury could give a multi-million judgement in punitive damages

Expect Popeyes to settle for around $1 mil

Why don't they have insurance for that?

Anyway, it seems more like a management problem if they cannot assign sufficient personnel to a given scenario in order to accomplish the goals they are establishing.

Coverage for this type of loss is a rider to standard commercial premises policies. Many small businessmen don't carry the rider to keep the premium lower. P.S. The same standard rider also covers physical damage created when a robber forces a register or safe. Employee theft and embezzlement is a separate available rider. My only client who bought both ran a check cashing business and never had a claim.

Popeyes thought they could make it go away for $2000

Pregnant restaurant manager fired after armed robbery

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

Well, she will likely have a successful lawsuit.
IF she can find a lawyer willing to take the case on contingency or Pro Bono. Might not be easy.

you left out this part:

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.
That was mentioned in the OP. With a very BUSY register, she might not have been able to move the cash to the safe.

I'd actually be curious to keep in touch with this case. I'm kind of hoping that Popeye's won't settle so there'll be testimony available to view.

I'd actually be curious to keep in touch with this case. I'm kind of hoping that Popeye's won't settle so there'll be testimony available to view.

Popeyes wants this to go away

They will throw some money at her and force non-disclosure

Anyway, it seems more like a management problem if they cannot assign sufficient personnel to a given scenario in order to accomplish the goals they are establishing.

They don't have to. IRS allows companies to claim robberies as a deduction.

Reporting a Loss Due to Theft on a Tax Return eHow
So, why is management complaining if they took a write off?

The manager fucked up big time. Now he'll have to pay more.

Pregnant restaurant manager fired after armed robbery

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she said. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
“I told them I'm not paying nothing. I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.”
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
After the robbery, Holcomb claimed that one of her managers gave her a choice: Pay the money back or be fired. Less than 36 hours later, she was fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she said. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

Well, she will likely have a successful lawsuit.
IF she can find a lawyer willing to take the case on contingency or Pro Bono. Might not be easy.

Really?

Fired Popeyes manager demanding 5.5 million in lieu of lawsuit - Worldnews.com

They don't have to. IRS allows companies to claim robberies as a deduction.

Reporting a Loss Due to Theft on a Tax Return eHow
So, why is management complaining if they took a write off?

The manager fucked up big time. Now he'll have to pay more.
Why do you believe it was that manager's responsibility if they have no authority to call in extra personnel to handle any overflow?

I've been backpacking in the Rockies during thunderstorms and never really worried about getting hit by lightning

You seem to worry about it all the time

No, I don't worry about it, but I don't stand under a tree with a lightning rod in my hand during a thunderstorm.

There's a difference between being prudent and being foolish, and you have proven which one you are. Hope your luck holds out.
Statistics and probability tells me I'm going to be just fine.

But you go ahead and worry about all the shit that may possibly in the near or perhaps distant future if it makes you feel better

Unfortunately I agree, instead of sticking to their guns they'll bow to social pressure and let the failure to follow policies slide. Unless she refuses to take the hush money (which would be stupid on her part) - there's no way they're giving her $5milion though.

Unfortunately I agree, instead of sticking to their guns they'll bow to social pressure and let the failure to follow policies slide. Unless she refuses to take the hush money (which would be stupid on her part) - there's no way they're giving her $5milion though.

$5.5 million is just thrown out there as an opening offer
Gives them room to negotiate

I suspect Popeyes will offer about $1 million of which one third will go to her lawyer

Forum List

Back