Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

She wasn't risking her life.
OMFG The robber had her at gunpoint. That is not risking your life? You're beyond anything reasonable or logical. You're scum. I wonder what you would do at gunpoint. Probably pee your pants.

Being the victim of a crime is not risking your life for a job.

Walking into a burning building is risking your life.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

One voluntary.....one not

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Someone pulls a gun in your face, your life is at risk
To me it is just unbelievable that folks are arguing that some jobs are not risking your life. When you take a job in a convenience store, you know you are taking a job where you can be at risk, serious risk, life threatening risk. When one takes a job on a oil rig or in a mine, for example, it is not the same as walking into a burning building, but it is an occupation that has a strong element of life threatening risk. Working at a convenience store has a similar level of risk. It is not a job I would ever want a loved one to take for that very reason. These people who work in convenience stores must be very desperate.

OMFG The robber had her at gunpoint. That is not risking your life? You're beyond anything reasonable or logical. You're scum. I wonder what you would do at gunpoint. Probably pee your pants.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

To me it is just unbelievable that folks are arguing that some jobs are not risking your life. When you take a job in a convenience store, you know you are taking a job where you can be at risk, serious risk, life threatening risk. When one takes a job on a oil rig or in a mine, for example, it is not the same as walking into a burning building, but it is an occupation that has a strong element of life threatening risk. Working at a convenience store has a similar level of risk. It is not a job I would ever want a loved one to take for that very reason. These people who work in convenience stores must be very desperate.
Puh-lease

I worked in a convenience store and would never say I was risking my life while working there.

Let's stop the hyperbole huh?

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Puh-lease

I worked in a convenience store and would never say I was risking my life while working there.

It's not hyperbole at all. People who work in those stores are at risk. The situation in the OP is a perfect example. You were just lucky.

Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Puh-lease

It's not hyperbole at all. People who work in those stores are at risk. The situation in the OP is a perfect example. You were just lucky.

Yeah OK.

Instances of robbery are pretty rare. And believe me if I thought working the counter at 7 11 was "risky" I sure as shit wouldn't have dome it for the $6 an hour I was getting back then

Let me guess? You're a conservative and you have no empathy for people, right?

How many times do you let a person fuck up before you fire him?

Multiple instances of not bleeding the registers according to company policy ended up costing the company more than it should have.

The termination was justified
When a person risks her life for your business, that is not the time to add up her demerits.

See the difference?

Yup --- one is active, the other reactive. Both are risky. The gun scenario more so, since the source of danger is out of one's control.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Don't understand verbs do you.

One does not risk his own life is another puts him at risk?

One is a verb the other is a noun.

Actually your noun would be a predicate adjective. You're basically arguing dative versus accusative cases. English doesn't have those any more. They merged into objective.

Last edited:
Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Puh-lease

Yeah OK.

Instances of robbery are pretty rare. And believe me if I thought working the counter at 7 11 was "risky" I sure as shit wouldn't have dome it for the $6 an hour I was getting back then
Convenience store clerks have been shown to be at high risk for assault and homicide, mostly owing to robbery or robbery attempts.
A matched case-control study of convenience store robbery risk factors. - PubMed - NCBI

In the early 1990s, federal studies showed that grocery and convenience store workers had the fourth highest mortality rate of retail workers (after employees of liquor stores, gas stations, and jewelry stores).
Convenience Store Clerks
Homicide ranks as one of the leading types of occupational injury in the United States, accounting for over 1100 worker deaths in the most recent year. In the period 1980 -1989, the rate of employee homicide was reported as 8.0 per 100,000 with 75 percent of these homicides resulting from gunshots. After taxicabs, convenience stores have the highest prevalence of workplace homicide
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/173772.pdf

As of 2012:
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation show convenience store robberies continue to account for about six percent of all robberies reported to police.
Convenience Store Injuries in Atlanta - Robbery Risks are Real - Georgia Workers Compensation Attorney Blog

I repeat: you were lucky.

Of course it is

Puh-lease

Yeah OK.

Convenience store clerks have been shown to be at high risk for assault and homicide, mostly owing to robbery or robbery attempts.
A matched case-control study of convenience store robbery risk factors. - PubMed - NCBI

In the early 1990s, federal studies showed that grocery and convenience store workers had the fourth highest mortality rate of retail workers (after employees of liquor stores, gas stations, and jewelry stores).
Convenience Store Clerks
Homicide ranks as one of the leading types of occupational injury in the United States, accounting for over 1100 worker deaths in the most recent year. In the period 1980 -1989, the rate of employee homicide was reported as 8.0 per 100,000 with 75 percent of these homicides resulting from gunshots. After taxicabs, convenience stores have the highest prevalence of workplace homicide

As of 2012:
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation show convenience store robberies continue to account for about six percent of all robberies reported to police.
Convenience Store Injuries in Atlanta - Robbery Risks are Real - Georgia Workers Compensation Attorney Blog

I don't believe in luck.

I can't remember the last time any convenience store within 20 miles of me was robbed.

And a 6% incidence rate counts as pretty rare.

You have a 94% chance of not being robbed while working at a convenience store.

Those are pretty damn good odds that your life is not at risk

idk my town's pretty wealth, uppty actually, we had a string of robberies last fall that put the community in a bit of a panic. They hit the local Tesoro that was open all night and a smoke store before they closed at night (broad daylight that one) -- The Tesoro is no longer open 24 hours a day and the smoke store changed their policies on how much they'd keep in stock and are having trouble staying in business cause they keep running out of peoples brands.

A couple years ago someone attempted to hold up the only grocery store that's open 24 hours, they changed the hour's their stockers worked to try to prevent it from happening again and opened up a 24 hour coffee and doughnut shop in there. Now the police hang out there and no more problems heh

Puh-lease

Yeah OK.

Convenience Store Clerks

As of 2012:

I don't believe in luck.

I can't remember the last time any convenience store within 20 miles of me was robbed.

"Risk" doesn't work that way. It's not like an electoral vote where "winner takes all". :lol:

It's a question of how much risk. In your example the risk would be 6% -- six out of a hundred. Or about eight hundred times more likely than being struck by lightning.

idk my town's pretty wealth, uppty actually, we had a string of robberies last fall that put the community in a bit of a panic. They hit the local Tesoro that was open all night and a smoke store before they closed at night (broad daylight that one) -- The Tesoro is no longer open 24 hours a day and the smoke store changed their policies on how much they'd keep in stock and are having trouble staying in business cause they keep running out of peoples brands.

A couple years ago someone attempted to hold up the only grocery store that's open 24 hours, they changed the hour's their stockers worked to try to prevent it from happening again and opened up a 24 hour coffee and doughnut shop in there. Now the police hang out there and no more problems heh

You can hire a security guard, as proposed backthread. OR you can just start selling coffee and doughnuts and get security for free. Smart business move. :thup:

When a person risks her life for your business, that is not the time to add up her demerits.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost ...

She could have lost her life, which is something of value, ergo, at risk.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Of course it is

Don't understand verbs do you.

One does not risk his own life is another puts him at risk?

One is a verb the other is a noun.

Geez, what is your point. She was at risk. Any employee of a place that is high-risk of being robbed puts their life at risk when they take such jobs.

All across the United States scenes like these are repeated with frightening frequency. The fast food industry currently employs 12 million Americans in 878,000 establishments. Projected earnings for 2004 are expected to reach 440.1 billion dollars.

A parallel between fast food chains and convenience stores is obvious. Often referred to as "stop and robs" the convenience store industry continues to be an exceedingly "high risk" target for criminal opportunity. Recent changes and growth in the fast food industry, however, are placing that business at an increasingly higher risk.

Fast food businesses higher security risk for violent crime and theft

Puh-lease

Yeah OK.

Convenience Store Clerks

As of 2012:

I don't believe in luck.

"Risk" doesn't work that way. It's not like an electoral vote where "winner takes all". :lol:

It's a question of how much risk. In your example the risk would be 6% -- six out of a hundred. Or about eight hundred times more likely than being struck by lightning.

I have never worried about being struck by lightning have you? if you base all possibilities of being at risk on lightning strikes you must never leave your home

Saying that working at a convenience store is "risking your life" is naught but hyperbole.

I disagree. It is a very dangerous occupation. One study shows that working in a convenience store is second in danger to driving a taxi. Especially at night. Taxi drivers are assaulted in the States often. You want to say there is no danger, but that is ridiculous as this thread itself is based on an incident when a clerk was held up a gun point. It's ridiculous to be posting in a thread that proves how dangerous this job is and then say it isn't dangerous.

You have a far greater chance of being struck by lighting if you don't avoid the risk. For example, if you stand under a tree during a lighting storm, you have a far better chance of being struck by lighting. You may not live in an area that has a lot of lightening storms. If you work in a convenience store, you choose to put yourself under that tree, to be in a place where there are a lot of lightening storms. Your risk increases.

you left out this part:

However, a spokesman in the company's human resources department said Holcomb was fired because she didn't follow company policy, leaving too much money in the cash register. And this wasn't her first offense.
The Rightyloons love to leave things like facts out.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost ...

Being at risk and saying she was "risking her life" are two entirely different things

I disagree. It is a very dangerous occupation. One study shows that working in a convenience store is second in danger to driving a taxi. Especially at night. Taxi drivers are assaulted in the States often. You want to say there is no danger, but that is ridiculous as this thread itself is based on an incident when a clerk was held up a gun point. It's ridiculous to be posting in a thread that proves how dangerous this job is and then say it isn't dangerous.

You have a far greater chance of being struck by lighting if you don't avoid the risk. For example, if you stand under a tree during a lighting storm, you have a far better chance of being struck by lighting. You may not live in an area that has a lot of lightening storms. If you work in a convenience store, you choose to put yourself under that tree, to be in a place where there are a lot of lightening storms. Your risk increases.

I bet you're a shut in.

I would have opened the safe for the thug too in this case. The money means nothing compared to a life and for what she was being paid she isn't there to protect the money in the first place. Hire a guard to do that.

See the difference?
Both risk their life

Risk is not involuntary.

Being at risk and saying she was "risking her life" are two entirely different things

She was at risk..........ergo risking her life......only someone devoid of comprehension would think that is not the same thing.

I have never worried about being struck by lightning have you? if you base all possibilities of being at risk on lightning strikes you must never leave your home

Right, so when it is thundering and lightning you purposely go find the biggest tree and stand under it. Or, you purposely go outside to the middle of the street with a lightning rod in your hand and point it at the sky.......:eek:

Forum List

Back