Police will not enforce Trump's deportation plans

A law is only as effective as how it is policed. Trump has met his match if he wants to take-on American cops.
Really?

To begin with, the vast majority of American cops adore Donald Trump whose implicit promise to satisfy their wildest Gestapo fantasies has them enthralled. So this Chief Beck is essentially talking out of his ass.

Here's what will happen. The mayor of a given town or city, L.A., for example, will be told, subsequent to a brief discussion of forthcoming federal subsidies, that his police department will engage in the arrest of illegally present foreigners. Unless the mayor feels it is worth receiving zero federal money for the coming year he will tell Charlie Beck to order his cops to saddle up and prepare to arrest illegal squatters.

If Charlie Beck refuses to comply he will be summarily replaced. His successor will either comply or he or she, too, will be replaced until a compliant successor is found. As far as the rank and file cops are concerned, they will be only too happy to start zipping on the plastic handcuffs and saying goodbye to thousands of border jumpers and phony "asylum seekers."

As far as any Presidential (Obama) Executive Orders affording protected status to illegals is concerned, a quick stroke of President Trump's Mont Blanc will take care of that. So it appears to me that Chief Beck is contemplating retirement and prefers not to go quietly.

So, we'll see.

Last edited:
The objective fact is that if the law was in fact unenforceable you wouldn't be concerned that it might be enforced.
Game.Set. Match
I'm not at all concerned. I'm stating facts, not trying to win anything.

11 million (at least) illegals here and continuing to be here shows the law to be unenforceable, even though it is in fact only a petty civil violation.

A law is only as effective as how it is policed. Trump has met his match if he wants to take-on American cops.
Really?

To begin with, the vast majority of American cops adore Donald Trump whose implicit promise to satisfy their wildest Gestapo fantasies has them enthralled. So this Chief Beck is essentially talking out of his ass.

Here's what will happen. The mayor of a given town or city, L.A., for example, will be told, subsequent to a brief discussion of forthcoming federal subsidies, that his police department will engage in the arrest of illegally present foreigners. Unless the mayor feels it is worth receiving zero federal money for the coming year he will tell Charlie Beck to order his cops to saddle up and prepare to arrest illegal squatters.

If Charlie Beck refuses to comply he will be summarily replaced. His successor will either comply or he or she, too, will be replaced until a compliant successor is found. As far as the rank and file cops are concerned, they will be only too happy to start zipping on the plastic handcuffs and saying goodbye to thousands of border jumpers and phony "asylum seekers."

As far as any Presidential (Obama) Executive Orders affording protected status to illegals is concerned, a quick stroke of President Trump's Mont Blanc will take care of that. So it appears to me that Chief Beck is contemplating retirement and prefers not to go quietly.

So, we'll see.
How do you make up this stuff, I wonder.

I think they can't do that because they have the legal duty to obey orders.
So if Trump administration tell them to deport they have to do it.
Am I right? :eusa_think:
Order for what? Immigration into the Union is a federal responsibility. The several and sovereign States have no authority over immigration since 1808.

And, States are sovereign regarding their internal police power. It is a fundamental doctrine of separation of powers.

I read in THE TIMES of last Wednesday that the mayors of Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia say they will reuse to co-operate with Donald Trump's plan to deport at least two million immigrants. Charlie Beck, the Los Angeles police chief, said that his officers would stand by their decision of refusing to enforce some federal immigration policies, as they are obliged to do by some Californian laws and regulations. Chief Beck said that the LAPD was "not going to engage in law enforcement activities solely based on somebody's immigration status. We are not going to work with Homeland Security on deportation efforts. That is not our job, nor will I make it our job."
LAPD Chief Beck on deportation: 'That is not our job'
Chief%20Beck_zpshlbfx7hf.jpg

Charlie Beck -- a good cop

Where are you getting your information?

California does not require that state or local law enforcement officers check the immigration status during traffic stops or similar circumstances.

Immigration into a State or the Union is no longer a States' right or give States any standing over immigration issues.
I got my information from Chief Charlie Beck LAPD.
ok. Where is Mr. Trump getting his information from?

Immigration into a State or the Union is no longer a States' right or give States any standing over immigration issues.

Order for what? Immigration into the Union is a federal responsibility. The several and sovereign States have no authority over immigration since 1808.

And, States are sovereign regarding their internal police power. It is a fundamental doctrine of separation of powers.
Thanks for explaining me this thing. I didn't know that. :)

If the deportation plan only involves undocumented criminals, then the act of refusing to comply is tantamount to hanging a big sign at the city limits welcoming undocumented criminals.

"Move West, Young Man!!" (to Portland, Seattle and San Francisco, but not Fresno, Spokane or Bakersfield)

I read in THE TIMES of last Wednesday that the mayors of Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia say they will reuse to co-operate with Donald Trump's plan to deport at least two million immigrants. Charlie Beck, the Los Angeles police chief, said that his officers would stand by their decision of refusing to enforce some federal immigration policies, as they are obliged to do by some Californian laws and regulations. Chief Beck said that the LAPD was "not going to engage in law enforcement activities solely based on somebody's immigration status. We are not going to work with Homeland Security on deportation efforts. That is not our job, nor will I make it our job."

They'll change their minds when the feds take back all the funding and equipment they are parking in those states. Starting with FOODSTAMPS and LAW ENFORCEMENT $$$$

Where are you getting your information?

California does not require that state or local law enforcement officers check the immigration status during traffic stops or similar circumstances.

I got my information from Chief Charlie Beck LAPD.
ok. Where is Mr. Trump getting his information from? ...
Trump seems to be informed by his own mind.

They'll change their minds when the feds take back all the funding and equipment they are parking in those states. Starting with FOODSTAMPS and LAW ENFORCEMENT $$$$
Federal entitlements cannot be denied on the basis of states refusing to do the federal government's job for it.

Federal entitlements cannot be denied on the basis of states refusing to do the federal government's job for it.

Oh you'd be surprised.

And all that LEO equipment..that's not *federal entitlement*.

You'd be amazed at how much *extra* federal money comes to the states for administering entitlement programs *properly*. I know because Oregon is always at risk of having federal funds yanked from DHS because they keep FUCKING UP.

No, anti Mexican directives from Washington are not the business of the LAPD.
Executive orders and federal laws have no power to the Los Angeles Police Department? :eusa_think:
I'm asking you because I don't know very well how laws work in the United States :)
Correct; federal agents have jurisdiction over federal directives and state or city cops look after the enforcement of state and local laws.
Immigration is a federal matter.

Federal Funds can be cut because a State does not do what the Federal Government tells it to do or did we forget the libs cutting funding to States for speed limits?

Federal Funds can be cut because a State does not do what the Federal Government tells it to do or did we forget the libs cutting funding to States for speed limits?
Speed limits are necessary all over the United States which has a responsibility for certain interstate highways.

Speed limits are necessary all over the United States which has a responsibility for certain interstate highways.
It is not the Us Federal Governments job to decide speed limits but the point stands the Federal Government CAN deny funds for failure to follow dictates from the Federal Government.

The purpose behind the laws is sound, but their implementation needs work. You're just arguing in circles.

You indicated that immigration law is stupid. Why do you believe that?
It's stupid because it is being ignored, just as MJ laws and the 55mph speed limit have been
ignored.

Insistence upon enforcing stupid laws only makes things more profitable for violent criminals, like the coyotes and drug smugglers.
Many laws will be ignored if not enforced. The way to get people to stop ignoring the laws is to enforce them. If I'm driving through a small town that I know routinely has speed traps, I'm going to be damn sure to drive under the speed limit. If I'm on the interstate where there are many people driving 90 in a 70 mph zone, I might just let my speed creep up to 80 mph.

The War of Northern Aggression overturned state sovereignty.

It is not the Us Federal Governments job to decide speed limits but the point stands the Federal Government CAN deny funds for failure to follow dictates from the Federal Government.
Only with funds involved with relevant federal programs.

If the deportation plan only involves undocumented criminals, then the act of refusing to comply is tantamount to hanging a big sign at the city limits welcoming undocumented criminals.

"Move West, Young Man!!" (to Portland, Seattle and San Francisco, but not Fresno, Spokane or Bakersfield)

the criminal element already gets deported, if it is serious enough.

Forum List

Back