Pitbull love

Snoop is cool because he doesn't tolerate that behavior from her. He'll put her in her place. My saint actually put her in her place a day or so ago...she jumped at him completely unexpected and he knocked her down and didn't let her back up till she stopped.

Yeah those are all red flags.

Our pit wasn't a rescue, so we know what his background is, and we know his behavior from the time he was a pup. We have to watch him with noises that he doesn't know..I've seen him run through the house completely unhinged when a refridgerator made a funny noise.

But he doesn't have those behaviors that you describe, which are indicative of a fearful or anxious dog.

And here's another thing...that crawling up on you? My Jack does that. It's not a friendly behavior. It's an anxious behavior, and a dominant one. My jack likes to stand on people, and she likes to get as high up on them as she can...she'll get right up on your head if you let her. And it's sort of funny and cute...but it's definitely a dominant behavior. That's how they establish dominance with other dogs, they get up over them. She also will stake out an area, completely random...and take exception to people or dogs getting in it and attack. Sometimes, she'll launch at the kids from my bed..sometimes she'll stake out a spot next to me on the couch...sometimes she'll stake out her food bowl or the kitchen.

She's small and she's not going to kill anyone though, and we have learned to recognize and cope with her behavior. If I saw that behavior in Snoop, he wouldn't be anywhere around me or anyone in my family, ever. It sounds like your dog thought he was the boss, and he staked out his leash at that point in time as *his*.

I've seen dogs do funny things and it's all about dominance...we had two rottie females, and we always knew when they were going to get into it because they'd take turns walking past each other. One would walk by real slow, then lay down. Then the other would get up and walk by the one laying down real slow, and lay down...somewhere around the third or fourth pass, it was on.

You have to be aware of when they're doing it with you, and put the kabosh to it, or get rid of them.

Sometimes I go ahead and wallow my goofy jack around and let her get up on me, just for a sec. But if she was a big dog, I wouldn't let her do that. If she was a big dog, I would have gotten rid of her ages ago.

It's really subtle behavior though, and you're taking a risk with it if you take it on...because they do sometimes get in under your radar.

I agree about the crawling up. If you recall I said he would try. On rare occasions I would let him, but 99.9% of the time I would stop him.

We had to get rid of Buddy, but it was too late. I am just thankful it was me whose leg is scared and maimed and not my beautiful daughter's. I pray you never have any problems with your pit.

BTW, Buddy was a few months old when my son rescued him. I felt confident he was not damaged goods, but I will never know for sure. It is a sad story with no happy ending.

I won't say I'll never have another terrier...but I don't think I will.

I've never been drawn to them and I don't like having to continually second guess them and head them off at the pass. Give me a poodle, a saint, or a german shepherd any day of the week.

I won't say I'll never have another terrier...but I don't think I will.

I've never been drawn to them and I don't like having to continually second guess them and head them off at the pass. Give me a poodle, a saint, or a german shepherd any day of the week.

Growing up, my parents bought me a mutt at the spca for my 5th birthday. My dad believed mutts were better dogs; less temperament problems. I had her until my senior year of high school. That was a really sad day when we had to put her down.

My wife and I got a dog when my son was one, and he and my daughter had Amber for 15 years. All 4 of us took her to the vets went it was her time. She had a cancerous growth in her mouth and was unable to eat. We all cried like babies. Amber was a real sweetheart, she tolerated the kids (especially my daughter who would make Amber play school, store, dance class, dress up etc) without ever showing a hint of aggression.

We now have a 13 year old chocolate lab Abbey and a 7 year old Alaskan Malamute male named Inuk.

Inuk is the biggest dog I have ever owned (110 lbs) and the most submissive. If the kids or I start playing with him, he will lay on his back in a complete submissive position. He is also the biggest baby. If you hardly step on his tail or paw, he acts like he was hit with a club. And he howls like a wolf.

I love Malamutes!

I've had all sorts of dogs...I tend to like mutts, they have fewer health issues (though God knows Mylo doesn't have anything wrong with her, she'll probably outlive me) and they don't have the genetic stuff going on that some purebreds do.

I tend to like larger dogs. I like the way people react to them, and I like how impressive they are when they are obedient. Little dogs can do tricks all day long and get "oh isn't he cute"...but if a big dog sits on command, you get "OMG HE'S SO OBEDIENT!!!" It's hilarious.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the only dog on earth that was bred to show no aggression towards humans! It does not make the top ten on the dog bite ( police reports ) list! Eighty percent of reported pit bull atacks are really mutts! They were called the childrens nursemaids during world war 2! As far as I am concerned, they are the best thing on the planet!
The white man created the breed - the black man has given it a bad name.

Attachments

• $123-1[1].jpg
    $123-1[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 158
  • $Picture 092.jpg
    $Picture 092.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 136
My son says much the same...he says that pits are remarkable because they will fight other dogs, even when they don't want to, because they love their owners so much.

c8e54279006987d16bb658d0d5b1131a_view.jpg

yeaaaaa great pets...the only use for a pitt bull is to kill other pitt bulls.

Wow, that's pretty awful..thanks for the warning.

I can show horrific injuries caused by horses, too.

Dogs are dangerous. People can get hurt. If you look at death by dog stats there are a lot of pits and pit mixes that have killed people.

But people continue to let them run loose, they chain them in their yards and let kids wander around, they leave babies with them...in 1988, labs killed more people than other dogs.

I think a lot has to do with how many there are, and what group is handling them. Right now, there's a whole pit bull culture of druggies and retards who think they're cool because they have big mean dogs; and the big mean dogs they like to have are pits.

Those morons are responsible for people getting killed. I don't see Snoop suddenly going psycho and killing my granddaughter. I've been around dogs a looong time and handled them a lot, and I just don't see it. And I don't like terriers, and I never wanted a pit in my life.

Normally I won't comment on a pet topic but I have a pit story. The family got a two year old pit he had been raised by a female and always treated kindly and gently. That dog was beautiful. He was great with me and our son but he wanted to tear my wife apart. It was behavior I have not seen in any other animal. I grew up on a farm and have seen several animals behaviors. We return the dog to the previous owner within 24 hours. After that we got a puppy we were told was a lab. At first we did not question the fact. I would play tug of war with the puppy which I thought was fun with the lab. As the puppy grew a little it developed a deep throated growl and would do a head snap twist which work well to rip something apart. As the snout formed a little more it became obvious he was a pit. We had to get rid of the dog as there is no way we could raise a pit. Before knowing the dog I would say that the way a dog is raised would outweigh the breed to a point. I do not believe that with a pit anymore. I loved those two dogs. They were the most amazing animal but I would not trust them with my kid, ever.

Once pit bulls became a hip hop sensation the attacks rose.
Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the US mortality rates related to dog bites.[40]

One 5-year (2001–2005) review of dog attack victims admitted to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia determined that pit bull terriers were implicated in more than half of bites. Of the 551 patients treated, breed was identified in 269 cases. Of these 269 patients, 137 (50.9%) were attacked by pit bulls.[41] The authors write:

...the overwhelming number of bites involving pit bull terriers in this study and others certainly has some degree of validity when it comes to identifying bite-prone breeds. Pit bull terriers, German shepherds, and Rottweilers were the offending breeds implicated in our study and have accounted for the majority of dog bites according to other investigators.[41]

One review of the medical literature found that pit bulls and pit bull cross-breeds were involved in between 42 and 45% of dog attacks.[42] Fatalities were most often reported in children, with 70% of victims being under the age of 10.[42]

Pit bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shelters are full of pit bulls and pit bull mixes.

There's got to be a reason for that.

yea once you get a pit ban...which breed will you ban next? i have a dobie...the only trouble he has ever caused was barking at the boy next door when he was trying to get on the bus...the kid ran home crying.....thor did not chase him....i got the call from boy's mom.....

we worked it out....cause i dont want my dog shot.....

but you got to be careful....even a quick snap from a dobie can do a lot of damage....

It's not a slippery slope bones. The statistics are OVERWHELMING...pit bulls and Rottweilers are very dangerous dogs.

Pit Bulls, Surgeons and Statistics

From the April 2011 edition of Annals of Surgery, Volume 253, Number 4, and is entitled "Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs."

The article notes that:

Compared with attacks by other breeds of dogs, attacks by pit bulls were associated with a higher median Injury Severity Scale score (4 vs. 1; P = 0.002), a higher risk of an admission Glasgow Coma Scale score of 8 or lower (17.2% vs. 0%; P = 0.006), higher median hospital charges ($10,500 vs. $7200; P = 0.003), and a higher risk of death (10.3% vs. 0%; P = 0.041).

Over a recent 3-year period from January 2006 to March 30, 2009, a total of 98 dog bite fatalities involving 179 dogs occurred; 60% of the deaths were caused by pit bulls, and 76% were caused by pit bulls and Rottweilers. A total of 113 pit bulls were involved in these deaths, and they accounted for 63% of the dogs involved in fatal attacks (Table 2).

TABLE 2. Breed of Dog Associated With Involvement in Fatal
Attacks, 2007 National Registration Data From the American
Kennel Club, and Relative Risk of Fatal Attack∗

dogattacks-annals-surgery-april2011.jpg

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs pdf

TABLE 3. Characteristics of Pit Bulls
Fatal Pit Bull Attacks Nationally

Pit bulls attack indiscriminately
Responsible for 65% of all fatal attacks in 2008
6 of 7 fatal dog bites in Texas in 2007 were inflicted by pit bulls
94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked
81% of attacks that occurred off the owner’s property involved pit bulls
One person is killed by a pit bull every 14 days
One body part is severed and lost every 5.4 days as a result of pit bull attacks
2 persons are injured by pit bulls every day
1.5 pit bulls are shot to death every day

When I look at that chart, the first thing I think is: What were the people doing before they were attacked? If they were stirring the shit of the animal and it attacks them, then I don't give a crap.
I would only take into account attacks which were completely unprovoked, and I don't believe there is such a thing as an unprovoked dog attack, anyway.

I have never been bitten by a pit bull. I have been bitten on the lip by a Blue Heeler when I was about ten, but that was my fault because I put my face too close to his.
I have been attacked by a savage little yappy dog before, but funnily enough, no matter how many times these little dogs bite, they never get put down. A pit bull could attack in self defense and the cry goes out to kill it.

Fucking ridiculous.

yea once you get a pit ban...which breed will you ban next? i have a dobie...the only trouble he has ever caused was barking at the boy next door when he was trying to get on the bus...the kid ran home crying.....thor did not chase him....i got the call from boy's mom.....

we worked it out....cause i dont want my dog shot.....

but you got to be careful....even a quick snap from a dobie can do a lot of damage....

It's not a slippery slope bones. The statistics are OVERWHELMING...pit bulls and Rottweilers are very dangerous dogs.

Pit Bulls, Surgeons and Statistics

From the April 2011 edition of Annals of Surgery, Volume 253, Number 4, and is entitled "Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs."

The article notes that:

Compared with attacks by other breeds of dogs, attacks by pit bulls were associated with a higher median Injury Severity Scale score (4 vs. 1; P = 0.002), a higher risk of an admission Glasgow Coma Scale score of 8 or lower (17.2% vs. 0%; P = 0.006), higher median hospital charges ($10,500 vs. $7200; P = 0.003), and a higher risk of death (10.3% vs. 0%; P = 0.041).

Over a recent 3-year period from January 2006 to March 30, 2009, a total of 98 dog bite fatalities involving 179 dogs occurred; 60% of the deaths were caused by pit bulls, and 76% were caused by pit bulls and Rottweilers. A total of 113 pit bulls were involved in these deaths, and they accounted for 63% of the dogs involved in fatal attacks (Table 2).

TABLE 2. Breed of Dog Associated With Involvement in Fatal
Attacks, 2007 National Registration Data From the American
Kennel Club, and Relative Risk of Fatal Attack∗

dogattacks-annals-surgery-april2011.jpg

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs pdf

TABLE 3. Characteristics of Pit Bulls
Fatal Pit Bull Attacks Nationally

Pit bulls attack indiscriminately
Responsible for 65% of all fatal attacks in 2008
6 of 7 fatal dog bites in Texas in 2007 were inflicted by pit bulls
94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked
81% of attacks that occurred off the owner’s property involved pit bulls
One person is killed by a pit bull every 14 days
One body part is severed and lost every 5.4 days as a result of pit bull attacks
2 persons are injured by pit bulls every day
1.5 pit bulls are shot to death every day

When I look at that chart, the first thing I think is: What were the people doing before they were attacked? If they were stirring the shit of the animal and it attacks them, then I don't give a crap.
I would only take into account attacks which were completely unprovoked, and I don't believe there is such a thing as an unprovoked dog attack, anyway.

I have never been bitten by a pit bull. I have been bitten on the lip by a Blue Heeler when I was about ten, but that was my fault because I put my face too close to his.
I have been attacked by a savage little yappy dog before, but funnily enough, no matter how many times these little dogs bite, they never get put down. A pit bull could attack in self defense and the cry goes out to kill it.

Fucking ridiculous.

:asshole::wtf::uhoh3::FIREdevil::banghead::rolleyes::finger3::lame2:

Forum List

Back